Assault Attack - Michael Schenker Group
Diary of a Madman - Ozzy Osbourne
Wheels of Steel - Saxon
Animal Magnetism - Scorpions
Ride The Lightning - Metallica
Holy Diver - Dio
Heaven & Hell - Black Sabbath
Headhunter - Krokus
With the only exception of Krokus, I had them all (still have them actually).

Roman4405

Reaction score
Ok, so I tried listening to this Tears for Fears album. Not all of its for me but there’s some stuff I really like and I’m glad I tried it. I just got into new wave, I know, 40 years too late but I’m 40 years old so it works for me. There’s a lot more good music in that genre than I ever would have though. I like threads like these because it makes me want to listen to new stuff.
And I forgot about Prison Bound by social distortion, love that album.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Why did the 80s largely 'suck'? A big part is most of our heroes from the 70s turned in the worst music of their careers. Genesis went from The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway to fucking Illegal Alien. Aerosmith goes from Toys In The Attic to Dude Looks Like A Lady. Led Zeppelin disappeared while Robert Plant turned in pale imitation solo albums. The Rolling Stones released their last decent album, a complication of outtakes from the 70s!
Want more? Digital instruments hit the scene and sound terrible! How much better would Steve Winwood's Higher Love be if it had real horns instead of those phony sounding synth horns?
Drum recording went flat.
'Hit songwriters' (eg. Desmond Child) take over writing and every band starts to sound the same.
Oh yeah, and Hair Metal.

GUITARFORCE Pickups

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Restless & Wild - Accept
Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden
Screaming For Vengeance - Judas Priest
Assault Attack - Michael Schenker Group
Diary of a Madman - Ozzy Osbourne
Wheels of Steel - Saxon
Animal Magnetism - Scorpions
Ride The Lightning - Metallica
Holy Diver - Dio
Heaven & Hell - Black Sabbath
Headhunter - Krokus
That's a really nice list that I can certainly agree with.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Why did the 80s largely 'suck'? A big part is most of our heroes from the 70s turned in the worst music of their careers. Genesis went from The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway to fucking Illegal Alien. Aerosmith goes from Toys In The Attic to Dude Looks Like A Lady. Led Zeppelin disappeared while Robert Plant turned in pale imitation solo albums. The Rolling Stones released their last decent album, a complication of outtakes from the 70s!
Want more? Digital instruments hit the scene and sound terrible! How much better would Steve Winwood's Higher Love be if it had real horns instead of those phony sounding synth horns?
'Hit songwriters' (eg. Desmond Child) take over writing and every band starts to sound the same.
Oh yeah, and Hair Metal.
Jeezus.....the only thing I can agree with you on is hair metal.
But....
I prefer Illegal Alien to Lamb
Dude Looks Like a Lady was a hella fun song to play!
Loved Robert Plant's solo record
Never cared much for the Stones anyway, didn't hate them, they were always just too rough and unpolished for me....until Tattoo You....great record!
Love Winwood's Higher Love....love that synth horn sound...that was a great recording and mix.
Drum recording went flat? on what planet? the 70s were dead drums in dead rooms (notable exception was Bonham) but the discovery of gated rev made drums sound awesome in the 80s......In the Air Tonight was anything but flat. THE most exciting drum sound ....probably ever.

LP1865

Reaction score
I gotta ask, whats wrong with Hair Metal?
DIO, Ozzy, Sabbath, Diamondhead, Metallica, Ironmaiden etc. are legends

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
But....
Never cared much for the Stones anyway, didn't hate them, they were always just too rough and unpolished for me....until Tattoo You....great record!
Love Winwood's Higher Love....love that synth horn sound...that was a great recording and mix.
Drum recording went flat? on what planet? the 70s were dead drums in dead rooms (notable exception was Bonham) but the discovery of gated rev made drums sound awesome in the 80s......In the Air Tonight was anything but flat. THE most exciting drum sound ....probably ever.
I’m thinking of how dead the drums sound on 80s albums from Judas Priest, Ted Nugent and others.

We can never discuss Genesis, ever again!:rofl:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Understood.
So the ones I mentioned are then categorised as heavy metal?
I’m guessing it all gets to be ‘Heavy Metal’ as defined by the industry. Some of the bands you mentioned were NWOBHM. Others like Slayer and Metallica were Thrash, and others like Death Metal were just getting started.

Zungle

Reaction score
But....

Dude...gotta get this off my chest quickly....not personal.....;)

Gated Snare is the single biggest boner killer on earth.....

I hate that shit with a passion and will not have it in my ears......

Right there with chorus on overdriven guitar........

Don't even get me started on the "New Wave" brand of synth......putrid.

Dude looks like a Lesbian is fvking horrible......as is most all of the Aerosmiths second incarnation.

Going into guitar room now...to hack the thought of gated snare out of my old ass brain......

Zungle

Reaction score
Never heard of it. Just Googled.

Who knew it was created by Phil Collins on a Peter Gabriel album?
Don't feel bad ....

Nobody ever wanted to know who created it or what it is......

It fvkin sucks....

Zungle

Reaction score
I gotta ask, whats wrong with Hair Metal?
DIO, Ozzy, Sabbath, Diamondhead, Metallica, Ironmaiden etc. are legends
Those bands are "Classic Metal".....Metallica being more "Old School Metal"

Last edited:

Zungle

Reaction score
Oh yeah, and Hair Metal.
I'm kinda down on the '80's myself......

The '80's sheen was splattered all over that entire decade......like Lemmings attempting to cash in, many bands did not escape the stank.....

Luckily a few did and the backlash from the '80's forged some dam good music for the 90's and beyond.....

Last edited:

Latest Threads