The beatles' magical mystery chord.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Known in Beatle-music buff circles as "the chord".

According to George Harrison himself, it was "a G with an F on top"

Laggspike

Reaction score
Known in Beatle-music buff circles as "the chord".

According to George Harrison himself, it was "a G with an F on top"
funny you say it, i'd say its an F with the pinky on the highest strings lol

after i have eaten, im gonna try make just that sound.

becouse when they say that after 50 years, it has only been solved just now, and just figured out that they need a bass, 2 guitars 1 drum kit and some tape to make the sound, i just dont know what they have been doing for 50-ish years..

am i blowing my horns? i hope not :p

Frogfur

Reaction score
Fairly interesting reading, but just too much speculation over a group, and a chord.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
funny you say it, i'd say its an F with the pinky on the highest strings lol

after i have eaten, im gonna try make just that sound.

becouse when they say that after 50 years, it has only been solved just now, and just figured out that they need a bass, 2 guitars 1 drum kit and some tape to make the sound, i just dont know what they have been doing for 50-ish years..

am i blowing my horns? i hope not :p
I joined a forum many years ago, a 60's "British Invasion" forum. Some members here are also members of that forum, so they well know of which I speak. On that forum, the subject of "the chord" was brought up to the point of head-splitting. Countless threads, years of hashing over the same opinions, arguments, etc. Technical dissecting of the sound, the overtones, the harmonics and sub-harmonics, technique, pick, strings, ..

Comes down to this; it was an early Rickenbacker 360-12. The second one ever made. It had flatwounds; the only Beatle instrument that recorded with flatwounds were the Ric 12's of various models used by them. It was recorded through a Vox AC amp, possibly an AC 50, but could well have been the AC 30.

Rickenbacker 12 strings are unique from all other major MFG's , in that the big strings are on the top, with the octave and drone strings on the bottom. Ric toaster pickups of that era also lend their unique sound and chime.

All those things put together, along with it being "a G with an F on top", render the sound.

chasenblues

Reaction score
Comes down to this; it was an early Rickenbacker 360-12. The second one ever made. It had flatwounds; the only Beatle instrument that recorded with flatwounds were the Ric 12's of various models used by them.

:shock:

:laugh2:

LPSGME

Reaction score
For those who would rather watch the movie...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKx0DG-5Qyg[/ame]

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
According to a forensic sound wave isolation analysis done by a physicist a few years ago...

Laggspike

Reaction score
I joined a forum many years ago, a 60's "British Invasion" forum. Some members here are also members of that forum, so they well know of which I speak. On that forum, the subject of "the chord" was brought up to the point of head-splitting. Countless threads, years of hashing over the same opinions, arguments, etc. Technical dissecting of the sound, the overtones, the harmonics and sub-harmonics, technique, pick, strings, ..

Comes down to this; it was an early Rickenbacker 360-12. The second one ever made. It had flatwounds; the only Beatle instrument that recorded with flatwounds were the Ric 12's of various models used by them. It was recorded through a Vox AC amp, possibly an AC 50, but could well have been the AC 30.

Rickenbacker 12 strings are unique from all other major MFG's , in that the big strings are on the top, with the octave and drone strings on the bottom. Ric toaster pickups of that era also lend their unique sound and chime.

All those things put together, along with it being "a G with an F on top", render the sound.
wow, this is getting more and more interesting (for me atleast)

all of this kinda reminds me about solodallas (think that is the name of him, ACDC sound-a-like, who is AWESOME!)

but all in all, i think they have gone way to far about what is used/how its used in "the chord"

Also, dident they use extremely thick strings too? o_O

this gonna be fun to recreate lol, pretty sure i cant do the exact same sound haha

i literly had no idea the fuzz about this chord haha

Leumas

Reaction score
And here I thought it was just a clever banjo chord. :laugh2:

sk8rat

Reaction score
do people really care? it sounds atrocious to me :shock:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I heard an interview on radio with Martin's son I think and if I remember correctly, Bachman...

Pieces of chord over multiple instruments..

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Even in the face of irrefutable proof; Mr Chris Huston (of the Undertakers) who went string-shopping with them, shared gigs with them, put the damn Bigsby on Lennon's Ric 325 FFS, and testified that the only strings they bought were Gibson Sonomatic round-wounds. They still argue.

Dilemma

Loud Pipes Ruin Naps
Premium Member
Reaction score
Stones > Beatles.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :laugh2: :laugh2:

Anyway, I had no idea this was even something that was being discussed.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
...and it's only Wednesday.

RichBrew

Reaction score
I heard an interview on radio with Martin's son I think and if I remember correctly, Bachman...

Pieces of chord over multiple instruments..
This:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwfH9oAiPH0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwfH9oAiPH0[/ame]

RichBrew