The Beano Burst Found????

brimay

Reaction score
Other than the same colored Pick ups, The color itself in a way resembles the beano burst.

Theres a fleck on it and i tried looking at the beano session pics but erics hand in the way so you cant see it.

Might this be the beano burst?
Burst serial is 0 2179 as on burstSerial.com

main.php

brimay-albums-ec-picture4060-bb5.jpg

tonebone

Reaction score
Looks like beano should have somewhat large dark triangle by the bridge tone pot, on the edge of the guitar. Coupla little marks by the switch, too.

brimay

Reaction score
Looks like beano should have somewhat large dark triangle by the bridge tone pot, on the edge of the guitar. Coupla little marks by the switch, too.

Yes its hard to see, but both of the guitars have a line (fleck) under the the bridge Tone knob.

Benjammin

Reaction score
considering the guitar is notoriously stolen, i suspect it doesnt look the same now as when EC last had it. Pickup covers on, pickguard off, it looks like a whole other guitar. its my understanding clapton doesnt/didnt know the the serial number, so exact confirmation would be hard. as mentioned there is a dark patch on the Beano. also it looks more of a plaintop, where the color photo appears flamey. but different lighting conditions, etc

brimay

Reaction score
considering the guitar is notoriously stolen, i suspect it doesnt look the same now as when EC last had it. Pickup covers on, pickguard off, it looks like a whole other guitar. its my understanding clapton doesnt/didnt know the the serial number, so exact confirmation would be hard. as mentioned there is a dark patch on the Beano. also it looks more of a plaintop, where the color photo appears flamey. but different lighting conditions, etc

The beano guitar could have some slight flame as the one im showing, but it could be ghost flames(i think they are called?)

Benjammin

Reaction score
The beano guitar could have some slight flame as the one im showing, but it could be ghost flames(i think they are called?)

for sure, every LP looks different at every angle with any lighting

Jessenoah

Reaction score
grover tuners?
slim neck?

it woule be awesome if it was the same guitar

Nigel Tufnel's tech

Reaction score
I dont think it is, you can't see the long mineral streak that's on 0 2179 on Eric's guitar and you would as the area is showing in the b&w photo.

brimay

Reaction score
I dont think it is, you can't see the long mineral streak that's on 0 2179 on Eric's guitar and you would as the area is showing in the b&w photo.

I dont think its showing in the B&W pic, his hand is in the way.
But thats what i thought at first, if he only moved his hand. :rolleyes:

Nigel Tufnel's tech

Reaction score
I dont think its showing in the B&W pic, his hand is in the way.
But thats what i thought at first, if he only moved his hand. :rolleyes:

No, if you look the marks starts between the height adjustable screw and the pickup ring screw which is the exact area you can see.

clapton.jpg

Its missing other mark's as well. if it's not been re-finished that is.

clapton_with_les_paul.jpg

Pete M

Reaction score
The inlays don't add up. Although angle makes a huge difference, but not enough to cover up the fact that 0 2179 has a massive "see-through" spot bang in the middle of the 19th fret inlay which should/would be visable in the EC photos.

brimay

Reaction score
No, if you look the marks starts between the height adjustable screw and the pickup ring screw which is the exact area you can see.

clapton.jpg

Its missing other mark's as well. if it's not been re-finished that is.

clapton_with_les_paul.jpg

I guess your right. i've also been wondering if 0 2179 has been refinished? :hmm: Maybe those marks were put on purpose to hide the identity of it but kept the pickups just to [email protected]%k with us? :laugh2:

Anything is possible.

Benjammin

Reaction score
whats the likelihood that if one Les paul was shipped in 1960 with one white neck pickup and one black bridge pickup, another one was as well? not to mention the relative ease of swapping pickups. as i said earlier, if i stole someones guitar (i never would by the way) i would try to disguise it ASAP, and something of obvious as the pickups colors would be the first to go. Or if one owner of this guitar was an EC fan, he could have swapped pickups to look like the beano. the one picture (the precious few of clapton with it) are hardly enough to make a compelling argument. its fun to think, id love to see it back in his hands.

brimay

Reaction score
whats the likelihood that if one Les paul was shipped in 1960 with one white neck pickup and one black bridge pickup, another one was as well? not to mention the relative ease of swapping pickups. as i said earlier, if i stole someones guitar (i never would by the way) i would try to disguise it ASAP, and something of obvious as the pickups colors would be the first to go. Or if one owner of this guitar was an EC fan, he could have swapped pickups to look like the beano. the one picture (the precious few of clapton with it) are hardly enough to make a compelling argument. its fun to think, id love to see it back in his hands.

I did this thread for discussing and for fun nothing else.

:thumb:

GuitarnLax36

Reaction score
this has given me hope! Maybe it is the real thing? Looks similiar but im not so sure about the finish like you all said.

tonebone

Reaction score
I wish I could agree with those that think it might be.

But the grain by the tone knobs just doesn't match beano.

billy

Reaction score
Isn't there a rumor that the beano burst got refinished in black????

Latest Threads