the AX8 has landed

mdubya

Reaction score
Friedman Small Box with the Firebird, dry with no effects whatsoever, split between the Xitone and the Marshall. You can hear the chair squeaking in the background. True bedroom volume.

mdubya

Reaction score
Doom in G with the Bogner Fish Preamp. Digitech Freqout and Treble Booster engaged (not that they are needed with the Bogner model). I am really digging the Bogner preamp. Whodda' thunk? Using the '59 ES 335 RI, today. Foook, I love that guitar.

mdubya

Reaction score
With the Badger 30 model and lots of tape delay. Using my 2014 ES 335 with Tom Holmes pickups. The brightness of the Holmes really cuts through and records well, imho. I am also using the 'Bling Colorsound Fuzz for the lead which introduces a lot of hiss. I think I prefer the Badger 30 over the JTM 45 model for JTM 45 type tones. That said the 18 is still my favorite.

I might try to do something with my '59 335 RI later to compare the different pickups. I love how much I still enjoy my 2014 335 compared to the RI, though. And make no mistake, the RI is a foo king great guitar.

The Maggot Brain noodling is inspired by @Tim Fezziwig.

mdubya

Reaction score
As threatened, here is the Badger 30 with the same tape delay and tremolo on the rhythm loop and dry Colorsound Fuzz on the lead (guitar volume knob rolled significantly down) with the '59 ES 335 RI to compare to the 2014 ES 335 with Holmes pickups. I find the MHS buckers smoother and rounder sounding and more pleasant in the room, but the Holmes cut through and have a bite that makes them sound very interesting.

My playing may bore the shit out of everyone (it does me), but I can't imagine having much more fun at such low volumes.

cherrysunburst00

I don't even care about the pat cictures anymore
Premium Member
Reaction score
As threatened, here is the Badger 30 with the same tape delay and tremolo on the rhythm loop and dry Colorsound Fuzz on the lead (guitar volume knob rolled significantly down) with the '59 ES 335 RI to compare to the 2014 ES 335 with Holmes pickups. I find the MHS buckers smoother and rounder sounding and more pleasant in the room, but the Holmes cut through and have a bite that makes them sound very interesting.

My playing may bore the shit out of everyone (it does me), but I can't imagine having much more fun at such low volumes.
COOL!!

mdubya

Reaction score
Bad lead guitar on social media is forever. :eek2:

I am back on the Presonus this week. They provide a nice tight thump. Pretty amazing for their diminutive size and modest price.

mdubya

Reaction score
Some Brownface Fender clean through the Presonus.

And the Brownface with the Fractal Tone Bender engaged, through the Presonus. :shock:

mdubya

Reaction score
Raw Digitech Freqout track with the neck pickup of the ES LP and the Brownface model with the Fractal Tone Bender fuzz.

More with the ES LP and The Brownface and the Tone Bender. I love the rhythm tone on the neck pickup, fuzz on, volume and tone rolled down. And a feeble attempt at some "outside"playing. :doh:

All played through the Presonus e4.5 monitors. I am really, really enjoying them these last few days. I am sure when I go back to the Xitone and Marshall setup, it will sound great, too. But I could live with these in my current low volume setting.

BTW-I can't say enough about how much I love the ES Les Paul every time I break it out. :love:

mdubya

Reaction score
I think the tone here is particularly good. Princetone model with '59 ES 335 RI. No outboard effects. Presonus e4.5's for monitoring.

Hamtone

Reaction score
I think the tone here is particularly good. Princetone model with '59 ES 335 RI. No outboard effects. Presonus e4.5's for monitoring.

You put a treble booster in front of it, you pretty much have cream crossroads kind of sound.

mdubya

Reaction score
You put a treble booster in front of it, you pretty much have cream crossroads kind of sound.
:thumb:

I'll have to try that. :naughty:

I really like the bite on the single notes.

I've been playing around with a Big Muff this morning, but nothing ready for prime time just yet. :oops:

Hamtone

Reaction score
:thumb:

I'll have to try that. :naughty:

I really like the bite on the single notes.

I've been playing around with a Big Muff this morning, but nothing ready for prime time just yet. :oops:
muff from the ax8 or pedal?

To make any "fuzz" work the amp already needs to be clipping

mdubya

Reaction score
muff from the ax8 or pedal?

To make any "fuzz" work the amp already needs to be clipping
The AX8's Big Muff.

It gets tricky with the digital stuff, but you can get some great fuzz tones with a little bit of fiddling. I will post an example in a few.

The AX8 Big Muff with the Princetone reminds me of my high school daze when many were using Muffs into things like Super Reverbs for Sabbath-y metal tones.

mdubya

Reaction score
Here is the Champlifier 5F1 model with the ES 330. The bass line is done on the 330's neck pickup, tone and vol rolled down to about 6 each. The fuzz lead is on the bridge pickup, everything wide open, using the Digitech Freqout, Vick Colorsound Overdriver, and 'Bling Treble Booster for the fuzz tones. Cool fuzz tones through the Presonus monitors.

I am basically just try to make as much rude noise as possible in this one.

Hamtone

Reaction score
The AX8's Big Muff.

It gets tricky with the digital stuff, but you can get some great fuzz tones with a little bit of fiddling. I will post an example in a few.

The AX8 Big Muff with the Princetone reminds me of my high school daze when many were using Muffs into things like Super Reverbs for Sabbath-y metal tones.
I'd the the premise would be the same, meaning cranking the "amp" into just getting dirty, then muff to taste... or taste the muff lol

I haven't messed with any of the modeling stuff outside my thr, but I'd assume the algorithm is so good that it would like that.

mdubya

Reaction score
I'd the the premise would be the same, meaning cranking the "amp" into just getting dirty, then muff to taste... or taste the muff lol

I haven't messed with any of the modeling stuff outside my thr, but I'd assume the algorithm is so good that it would like that.
Like I said, it is a little tricky because it doesn't react exactly the same in the digital realm. For one thing, yes, the amps are modeled in a "cranked up" state, so for me, operating at low volume, I have to keep that in mind. Things can get out of control or unusable if I don't keep in mind that the models are cranked, even if the volume on the monitor is low.

But I absolutely DO have a great time running my old Maestro or my 'Bling Colorsound Fuzz or the Range Master or the Over Driver (which is as much a low gain fuzz as it is what is now considered an "overdrive" - think Rat Distortion or something similar).

The modeled fuzzes and overdrives seem more like you dial in the sound you like instead of trying to molest the input of the amp.

That said, the Fractal TS808 and my Maxon OD808 sound almost exactly identical. It is uncanny.

Add the Freqout to this mix and I usually have 4 outboard pedals lined up in front of the AX8 at any time.

Last edited:

Hamtone

Reaction score
Like I said, it is a little tricky because it doesn't react exactly the same in the digital realm. For one thing, yes, the amps are modeled in a "cranked up" state, so for me, operating at low volume, I have to keep that in mind. Things can get out of control or unusable if I don't keep in mind that the models are cranked, even if the volume on the monitor is low.

But I absolutely DO have a great time running my old Maestro or my 'Bling Colorsound Fuzz or the Range Master or the Over Driver (which is as much a low gain fuzz as it is what is now considered an "overdrive" - think Rat Distortion of something similar).

The modeled fuzzes and overdrives seem more like you dial in the sound you like instead of trying to molest the input of the amp.

That said, the Fractal TS808 and my Maxon OD808 sound almost exactly identical. It is uncanny.

Add the Freqout to this mix and I usually have 4 outboard pedals lined up in front of the AX8 at any time.

So adjusting "amp" volume will change output volume?

I know, retarded question, in my mind I've been thinking output is completely on your monitor side.