The 2019 Les Paul Tribute

60'svibe

Reaction score
I owned a few Les Paul Customs back in the day. I had a 1970 Les Paul Custom Reissue (see pic) and I bought a few early '80's LP Customs. I never owned a Standard/Gold Top. I did have a 1959 LP Special in TV yellow, sorry I traded that one off back in '72. But rising prices and the heavy weight of later LPs got in the way of buying anymore LP's. Until now that is. The newly revamped 2019 Tribute LP is a gem. Plays smoothly and has the zing. I truly find it inspirational and the weight relief is good. See pics.
MLP3.jpg
LP13.jpg
LP14.jpg
my LP46.jpg
MLP2.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Mr Hockey

Reaction score
I think the Les Paul tributes are great guitars. I know that for sure because I own one. I hope you enjoy yours and have some fun!!

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Standard, Custom, Trad, Classic, Tribute, Studio....
I'm lost on many of these. Is the Tribute basically a Studio?

Either way, it is beautiful!

Derald

Reaction score
The Tribute is basically a Studio body with a non-gloss finish. In my case I have a ‘19 Tribute and ‘19 Studio. Pickups were different and the PCB in the Studio has coil splits. The ‘19 Studio also has neck binding. The new ‘19 Tributes have a rounded neck vs. Slim Taper.

moreles

Reaction score
Like a Junior, that Tribute hits the spot, IMO, in terms of design features. Inexplicably, I have always found Studios to be a bit weird, coming across as wannabe standards, but the Tribute is clearly stripped down to basic, using no inessential decoration, and the result, to me, is really excellent. I look at your guitar and don't immediately think that it's missing anything, because, like a Junior, it's a consistent and really successful match of full function with no excess. I don't like satin finishes, but in this case, I do. Terrific. Gibson nailed it, and you got a fine one.

60'svibe

Reaction score
Standard, Custom, Trad, Classic, Tribute, Studio....
I'm lost on many of these. Is the Tribute basically a Studio?

Either way, it is beautiful!
Hi, I would say that economically the Studio and the Tribute are similar. The Studio (I did own a used 2012 Worn Studio model for a month or two) is as heavy as a Standard but with a scaled down price. Gibson has made so many variations regarding weight relief and pickups that it almost seems impossible to clearly define these many categorical variations. But for some reason the 2019 version of the Tribute seems to offer a vibe that resonates with me. Thanks for your input CB91710 and Derald.
And moreles I agree...the 2019 issue of The Tribute LP has a vibe...for sure.

Last edited:

60'svibe

Reaction score
The Tribute is basically a Studio body with a non-gloss finish. In my case I have a ‘19 Tribute and ‘19 Studio. Pickups were different and the PCB in the Studio has coil splits. The ‘19 Studio also has neck binding. The new ‘19 Tributes have a rounded neck vs. Slim Taper.
Yes, Derald and I really like the rounded neck on the Tribute. Very much so.

Derald

Reaction score
I like the neck differences. You get inspired by how the guitar feels, and these two guitars, although similar, feel different, and thus, make me enjoy playing them.

60'svibe

Reaction score
I like the neck differences. You get inspired by how the guitar feels, and these two guitars, although similar, feel different, and thus, make me enjoy playing them.
I agree. Each guitar (even those of the same model) have their own personality.

Slick Willy

Reaction score
Nice looking axe! I haven’t kept up with the models and changes going on at Gibson. I thought that Les Paul tributes have binding? Or am I thinking of a different model. Anyway I love that top and color!