The 2015 Wider Neck

Brazilnut

Reaction score
Anybody have one? How do you like em? I just bought a 2015 Firebird, and I'm worried I won't care for the extra width.....

LocoTex

Reaction score
I had a 2015 Junior and couldn't get used to it. I traded it for a Tele.

beerbelly

Reaction score
I also had a 2015 Junior, but sold it- didn't feel right. Might be fine for you though.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
I dont really notice it that much, I have it on the Firebird in my pic. It is easier to do hammer on pull offs without pulling the string off the edge.

I also played an SG tribute with same “soloist” width, which had a different thickness or neck profile. Felt completely different, but the width wasn’t that noticeable.

I do like the D shape of the Firebird.

Maybe because I play classical and acoustic, which generally have much wider necks, I guess its familiar territory.

But the string spacing is exactly the same, and the adjustable brass or titanium nut is cool imo!

I think was an option for quite a few years on the HP guitars, not just 2015.

smk506

Reaction score
I have a 2015 traditional and the neck on that sucker is massive. The extra width is definitely noticeable to me, and I wouldn’t say I prefer it, but it doesn’t bother me. If I’ve left that one unplayed for awhile it does take some adjustment time to get used to it again, but it’s not really a big deal and the guitar as a whole is great.

I also really like the adjustable nut, mines never given me a problem and the idea that it’s a tone suck sounds fine on paper, but it just doesn’t play out in real life IMO. That said I have been curious to see what a regular nut with a wider spacing would feel like.

Telechamp

Reaction score
I've got a 2015 LP Special Double Cut that I bought new pretty cheap ($599.99) on clearance at GC back in that year.

I got used to the wider neck pretty fast - and now I'm actually kind of digging the wider neck on this one..

I wouldn't want this neck on every guitar I have, but I'm fine with it on this 2015 LP Spec DC.

I also swapped out the original G-Force tuners for Hipshot lockers. The G-Force was my major gripe with this guitar. (Although I know the wide neck is/was a deal-killer for many..)

I also swapped out the stock brass nut for the titanium replacement nut from Gibson - and now this guitar is a player.

Last edited:

moreles

Reaction score
I don't own a 2015 as I dislike the crap features Gibson tried to force on their customers, and I hate that way of doing business -- but the wider neck (slightly wider, to be accurate) is, IMO, fine. If anything, I like it a bit more, burt I have fat fingers and always like more room than most people do. Why Gibson chose to do this on one of the world's most popular guitars, which many buyers go for because of its longstanding specs, is utterly baffling. If they had beta-tested with buyers -- if they actually cared or respected buyers -- this would have been DOA instead of a short-term, fairly epic fail. As for the adjustable nut, etc, well, wow, that stuff is garbage.

Latest Threads