The 2011 LP Traditional (Standard?) Faded Mega-Thread

WilderMilder

Reaction score
Where are some of you guys finding those silver topped, gold top hat knobs? I noticed Gibson sells some but they are with gold inserts.

thanks in advance!

otto6457

Reaction score
Update: It sold for $2,368.00. Maybe I /will/ list my stock Faded if I can get that much...

I bid on that faded at $1975.00. I just got a message from the seller saying the winning bidder flaked and he is going to re-list this week.

PJS_Les

Reaction score
I bid on that faded at $1975.00. I just got a message from the seller saying the winning bidder flaked and he is going to re-list this week.
...And that's why I hate eBay. Had that happen to me many times. And the fees...yikes.

I'm starting to use Reverb more and more. I just wish they had better search capabilities.

SkunkWorks

Reaction score
Where are some of you guys finding those silver topped, gold top hat knobs? I noticed Gibson sells some but they are with gold inserts.

thanks in advance!
I buy them at one of my local shops (Avenue Guitars)... they keep a bunch loose in a drawer and sell them individually if you want, I seem to remember that they're All-Parts brand.

some posts about them...

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/87875-ngd-2006-standard-ebony-2.html#post1742879

(different post)
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/87875-ngd-2006-standard-ebony.html#post1723839

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just realized that this Corsa-modified 2008 LPSF on Reverb is for sale by Corsa himself. The top looks great, the back's a bit relic'ed. More than a bit actually. His upgrades are top-notch.
WOW, thats a beauty :wow:

tengnagel

Reaction score
Those knobs really doesn't do it for me, but its still a lovely axe...and that one from ebay <droooooool>

Jeffguy

Reaction score
Took a quick photo of my 2007 standard today. Reflectors, pointers, a Duncan custom 5, and a martin6stringcustom harness/caps still to be installed.

FUS44

Reaction score
I always thought I didn't fancy the cherry ones, but that thing is on fire!

Nice!
Thanks. I actually love this weird cherry color. I really didn't think that I was gonna get it, even though I had bid it up a lot more. My multiple bid/post up under the basket tactic worked. I'd seen some other usual suspects (although scrambled, you can figure out who you're against if you are bidding regularly) testing the waters, so I just bid it up to my max dollar and walked away. Got up this morning and I had won! I figured even if I don't bond with it (I had a solid 05 which started the quest) the top will sell it. I still can't believe it didn't go higher!

joedonner2001

Reaction score
Well, two weeks ago I bought this really sweet 2013 lemonburst R8. Always wanted one, just because.

I'm happy to say that the R8 compares very well with my favourite Faded.

The R8 seems to sound more open, a bit more mellow, smoother. In contrast the Faded is slightly tighter, a tad brighter, and more aggressive. The Faded plays better in terms of feel - more pliable in some way.

I think they make a great team. I'm very happy. I was actually thinking of getting an ES-335, which is still on my to-do list, but I fell in love with this R8 from the get go.

My point is that my Faded does not have to give way one single inch for the more expensive historic model. These really are great guitars.

I also got a really nice 90's tan and pink Gibson USA case for my Faded - a gift from a fellow forum member for helping him get hold of this vintage '54 Les Paul Goldtop from a friend of my dad in South Africa. Need to take some pics of it, still.

:)

Attachments

FUS44

Reaction score
Nice R8! The flecks are great.

I can't wait to compare it. As I said I owned an 05 and it really was a great guitar.
it should real interesting to play along side my other LP's. Especially the CR8 (due to the chambering factor) and my #1, R9, which is a fantastic example of a solid Gibson. It is very aggressive for a Historic. Even the balsa and rocker tenon Studio Lite is another version of weight relief. That guitar sings as well.

Electric Funeral

Reaction score
Would anyone be able to tell me if those Canadian faded traditional's have a completely smooth finish or if you can kind of feel the open wood grain?

thanks
my 2011 "canadian" trad faded is smooth on the maple top, but you can feel the grain on the back a little bit. The neck was also that way at first, but after a couple years of playing its now like glass.

WholeLottaIzzy

Reaction score
Starting another makeover on my faded soon. All hardware is going. I'm going for lightweight nickel tailpiece and abr 1 bridge (suggestions needed, don't wanna drill holes), grover kidney nickel tuners, possibly locking, a graphite type nut, new taller pickup rings, a black cat Creamery filtertron bridge pickup with an OX4 neck pickup or a Paul Kossoff Montreux. I may also virtuoso it but haven't decided yet. My gonna get new pits and caps too then have it all installed and set up professionally by a tech. Probably not until end of March but I should be ordering the Creamery pickup this week, hopefully.

FUS44

Reaction score
Guys, when you us the Virtuoso polish, does it provide any additional protection for the finish? I was thinking of polishing her up and having a local guy spray a very light coat of clear over the top. I don't want to defeat the purpose of the super thin finish but I put a wear hole on my old faded after 10-12 gigs. Again, not trying to make it into a gloss or VOS, just a tiny bit of additional protection. I also love the washed Bloomfield effect and think the polished faded cherry looks a lot like it.

Although, I think the guitar is more in this flavor (not quite of course, but this is exactly the burst I had in mind when I saw the top.)

Now, PG on, off or CLEAR?????

Latest Threads