The 2011 LP Traditional (Standard?) Faded Mega-Thread

DaveSG

Reaction score
Very nice guitar, that!

I've seen a few later runs, but at the moment don't even recall that there was a Faded run in 2016. It does ring a bell, but a very faint one.

I have a soft spot for 2016 due to owning a super nice Les Paul Special from that year. The only guitar which I liked enough to have kept alongside my '11 Traditional Faded.
Just seeing your reply now. Yeah, Gibson did a very limited release of the Faded series in 2016. Gosh the necks were great that year. My current (2021) Standard sort of reminds me of it...big, with decent shoulders, but not flat feeling in the back. Just filled out in your hand really well. You can find a few threads on them here, from back then. Most of them went to Zzounds/American Musical, but a few smaller shops got some. I got mine from EM Shorts in Wichita, KS. What an awesome buying experience. I wish they still carried Gibsons. Really, I wish Gibson cared more about the smaller mom and pop shops and didn't make it so hard for them to get inventory and support the brand. I paid less than $1500 for that guitar new, including shipping...it was just insane. Every other place was $400+ more for the exact same guitar. Really top class act EM Shorts was.

joedonner2001

Reaction score
A hopeless situation indeed!
Well, actually - something interesting then happened. I advertised the WH ES-335 on a UK-based guitar forum, and there were:
  1. A guy with a '57 reissue Les Paul Custom, who wanted the WH ES-335.
  2. A guy with a 2008 Les Paul Standard Faded, who wanted the first guy's Les Paul Custom,
  3. And I quite fancied the 2008 Les Paul Standard Faded (surprise!).
So one of them suggested that we do a 3-way swap, and Paypal money around to make up for the differences in price.

So we did, and it all worked out beautifully, and that's how I ended up with this:

1.jpg

Which was hands down the prettiest guitar I ever had the pleasure of owning, but I ended up preferring my '11 Traditional Faded, and eventually sold the 2008.

If I remember correctly, the 2008's neck profile was noticeably slimmer than my '11 Trad Faded, which was why I preferred the latter. If one could easily have transplanted necks on Les Pauls, I would have swapped necks (and pickups, because I love the Wolfetone Legends in my '11 Trad Faded) and kept the pretty top.

Last edited:

LCPG282

Reaction score
Well, actually - something interesting then happened. I advertised the WH ES-335 on a UK-based guitar forum, and there were:
  1. A guy with a '57 reissue Les Paul Custom, who wanted the WH ES-335.
  2. A guy with a 2008 Les Paul Standard Faded, who wanted the first guy's Les Paul Custom,
  3. And I quite fancied the 2008 Les Paul Standard Faded (surprise!).
So one of them suggested that we do a 3-way swap, and Paypal money around to make up for the differences in price.

So we did, and it all worked out beautifully, and that's how I ended up with this:

1.jpg

Which was hands down the prettiest guitar I ever had the pleasure of owning, but I ended up preferring my '11 Traditional Faded, and eventually sold the 2008.

If I remember correctly, the 2008's neck profile was noticeably slimmer than my '11 Trad Faded, which was why I preferred the latter. If one could easily have transplanted necks on Les Pauls, I would have swapped necks (and pickups, because I love the Wolfetone Legends in my '11 Trad Faded) and kept the pretty top.
Very interesting story with good ending!

LCPG282

Reaction score
Sale day! I've finally decided to thin my Fadeds herd and sold my 2005 Heritage Cherry with 50's neck. Here are the last pictures of it before the sale.

Les-Paul-Standard-Faded-2005-a.jpg

Les-Paul-Standard-Faded-2005-b.jpg

Les-Paul-Standard-Faded-2005-c.jpg

Les-Paul-Standard-Faded-2005-d.jpg

Les-Paul-Standard-Faded-2005-e.jpg

She now has another good home where she'll be well taken care of and played :)

LCPG282

Reaction score
I was never very keen on the cherry ones, but I've just made an exception for that one.
Thanks Joe, it was a nice Cherry Faded, not "clowny" looking, but I didn't play it as much as it deserved, and I know it's gonna be played a lot more by the new owner whose only Les Paul is a Studio. He tried it on my Cornell Romany Plus and was impressed by the sound of the Faded compared to his LP Studio.
Should I also mention that my wife was very pleased that I let it go after purchasing the ES 335? ;)

joedonner2001

Reaction score
Should I also mention that my wife was very pleased that I let it go after purchasing the ES 335? ;)
:D
My wife never complains about my guitars. In fact - she complains about me not liking to own a lot of stuff and sometimes even encourages me to buy more guitars.

LCPG282

Reaction score
:D
My wife never complains about my guitars. In fact - she complains about me not liking to own a lot of stuff and sometimes even encourages me to buy more guitars.
Lucky boy! :D
My wife doesn't complain about my guitars, but you somehow can feel more pressure in the air when she silently disagrees about a new one...
Not complaining though! I'm lucky too.:D

joedonner2001

Reaction score
Last year, after we successfully completed a really big project at work, she saw me look at a Les Paul Junior online and said: "You should buy one of those as a treat to yourself." :D

But alas - I resisted the temptation.

LCPG282

Reaction score
Last year, after we successfully completed a really big project at work, she saw me look at a Les Paul Junior online and said: "You should buy one of those as a treat to yourself." :D

But alas - I resisted the temptation.
Sounds like you could be a monk? ;)
I'm rather like Oscar Wilde, " I can resist everything except temptation. " :Ohno::naughty:

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
... she saw me look at a Les Paul Junior online and said: "You should buy one of those as a treat to yourself." But - alas - I resisted the temptation.
Story continues: ... because I scrolled down a little further to the "top seller" Les Paul Standards section where my "resistance" was futile.

:h5:

joedonner2001

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I do want one of these new Juniors. I just don't think I actually need one.

But I might be wrong.

Latest Threads