The 1959 Gibson Electric Guitars and Amplifiers Catalog

Louie

Reaction score
Gibson isn't updating their current digital catalogue on their website in 2013, yet people are surprised they were a little behind on their printed catalogue half a century ago? ;)

7gtop

Reaction score
someth!ng about returning here ngg ,

just so purr=dy

:thumb:

Coldacre

Reaction score
Well if it is indeed a '57 catalog, and an LP was $375, it's just over $3000.00 adjusted for inflation, so they've always been expensive.
not quite.

about the same as today's RRP prices. like anything, you would have got it for a couple of hundred less if you offered cash.

parts

Reaction score
The prices listed in the catalog, were those the prices that music stores were selling at? Or was it the practice back then, as it is now, to sell below the MSRP? Just curious. Enjoyed this thread!
Old question I know but..as I was selling at a Gibson (Thomas Organ CMI) store about 1965-1971 there was something called "Fair Trade"
A Authorized dealer had to offer the Guitars at the Gibson Retail Price.
Allegedly it was to Brand Name image intact..but it would keep smaller stores from being crushed by larger stores on pricing..was a way to protect profits,
The law was ruled illegal "Parker Pen" if I remember was the initial case..
Old memory flash..

We would trade for Fenders with a nearby shop to get Fender amps..
But we had to agree to the Retail Price agreement with them..however..

When the Gibson reps would come in these Amps were listed as Used and we covered it up,
As we bought them (back doored) technically they were used and as Fair Traded items New was only at a Fender Dealer..

Gibson would come in to our Thomas Organ store to check Floor Planning through CMI. The used was not on Floor Plan as we bought them cash,,alleged as trade ins.

Fun times for a kid..
Learned a lot..

Bluntforcetrauma

Reaction score
Even in 1955 T.V yellow was a choice because as i am sure all know it would show up better on T.V. My question is there any national TV evidence that a " TV yellow "made its way to the tube?

treatb

Reaction score
i've got a 1959 es-125, it's amazing, and i love seeing it here in this catalog! makes me wonder how great the top of the line arch tops were. by the way, the pickup is really hot.

treatb

Reaction score
Judging by the Les Pauls, it looks like an early 1957 catalog.
that is what i though as well but 57 was paf goldtops and 56 was p90 with abr1, if i remember right, 55 as well. , but it's also got paf's in various instruments, so maybe it's a early 58? where they had not completely developed all instruments away from stop tail bridges.

Fretteaser

Reaction score
The evidence that Gibson simply didn't update the pictures is in the text, the Les Paul pictured has P 90 pickups, but the text refers to humbucking pickups.
... and the tailpieceposition on the Junior is like pre early 56

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Clearly recycled photos. Note that even the flagship Super 400 is pictured with P-90s. Also, that Vee is a (mahogany) prototype; the same picture appeared in the Gibson Gazette announcement.

Man, I'd love to know what happened to that guitar!

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Sadly, this formerly useful thread has been ruined by Photobucket's money-grubbing. Is there any chance the OP could transfer his scans to Flickr or Imgur?

61LPSG

Reaction score
+1... What Bill said.

On a side note I have a Gibson catalogue from '6x, no date anywhere and no prices. It has amps, guitars, mandolins, steels, banjos, SGs, MMs, and Firebirds but no LPs. Always wondered what year it was from.

Latest Threads