The 1959 Gibson Electric Guitars and Amplifiers Catalog

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I'm glad you gents are digging this. I thought it was really cool. And yes, I'd love to pick up a TV Yellow Jr. for $132:dude:

Shadowplayer

Reaction score
Doubleneck back then!?....HOLY COOL! :)
Yeah, they made doublenecks in 59. but this one looks different than the standard 59 model. i almost would say this was the lineup for maybe 58 or so. theres no burst LPs in it at all, but there is a V, similar to the 58 style

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There was no need to call it a Standard, there were only the two models. The original Les Paul guitars were outfitted with P-90s and the very first year had the trapeze tailpiece, which as far as I know was a poor design.
The trapeze bridge was Lester's design and part of the agreement he made with Gibson in '51. He mentions it in his biography and says that Gibson didn't account for the neck angle required and the only way that first batch of guitars was playable was to string them under, which reduced bridge pressure and killed tone (see pic above).

Anyway, they look cool but are terrible bridges, I had one as original equipment on an ES-225T and while I didn't have to string it under on that guitar, it was impossible to get decent intonation. You could get it "OK", but nothing like a TOM or even a compensated archtop bridge.

Bluefox

Reaction score
Gibson didn't update the pictures in their catalogs until 1960, that's why the Les Pauls pictured look like pre-57. As far as Gibson Amps are concerned Ry Cooder used to play a GA 20 amp I think Doyle Brmhall Jr played some Gibson amp too. I own a GA 40 Les Paul amp from 1960 and it's a beast, 15 watt, four channels with four different sounds ranging from Tweed Fender to early Marshall. The speaker is a Jensen P12P. They used normally a P12N, but sometimes the P 12P which is quite rare as guitar amp speaker. Those early Gibson amps are quite underrated, but if in good condition are killer. I truly love my GA 40.

Bluefox

Reaction score
The evidence that Gibson simply didn't update the pictures is in the text, the Les Paul pictured has P 90 pickups, but the text refers to humbucking pickups.

Latest Threads