That new Gibson smell: It's the case, not the guitar.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nitro has a sickly sweat like smell that can be a little nauseous... it reminds me of a locker rom after foot ball practice, with a hint of urine and other human secretions ... which makes me pretty ill...

You need to smell it off a builder guitar or a fresh HM ...

The other thing is newly worked rosewood can smell sorta rough too... but that finished and usually oiled.

I don’t know about the buffing compound ... that has a waxy candle kind of smell, it’s heavy ..

That scent thats In the case is to hide or mask the smells of production... because they want you to buy more...

And btw ...new car smell .... it’s a sealer.

goodguy

Reaction score
I think it is the glue used in the cases off-gassing (or buffing compound). I purchased Benzoin incense & it smells nothing like it.

DBDM

Reaction score
One walk through the Gibson factory would dispel the thought that the smell is anything but the finish. I live in Nashville and have been fortunate enough to visit. I assure everyone it is not "the case" that has "the smell". That said I am sure the case DOES have a smell that is at least part of it, but "the smell" is not the case.

ec335

Reaction score
The minimum international order is 1000 dollars :eek2:
Might as well get a new Gibson directly :hmm:
Benzoin (or any other plant odor: lavender, sage etc. ) as oil, incense or raisin is for sale in New-Age shops, drugstore, big organic food markets etc. Handy if you bought a second hand from a smoke or someone who stinks by their own right.

Leave it a few days in the case (e.g. the small compartment), avoid contact with the laquer (some plant oils can affect the finish, so check it from time to time)

hdvades

Reaction score
I got a new Gibson LP Special in a TKL hsc and as others have said above...play doh and vanilla scents...yup! From what or where I have no idea but I like that smell. lol

digitaljackson

Reaction score
I've bought 3 new Gibson Les Paul guitars over last year. 2019 Voodoo (satin finish) which has a TKL case and guitar had Vanilla smell. 2020 60's Standard which also has a TKL case and Vanilla smell. 2020 50's Standard that has a case made by a different company (can't remember the name on tag, but is made in Costa Rica)... NO vanilla smell. In fact, the case and guitar kind of stinks. I swapped cases between the 50's and 60's Standard before selling the 60's model. Now the 50's Standard smells like Vanilla... seems like the TKL case is the root of the smell.

Fretts

Reaction score
I can add this. I wrote to the TKL case company. They told me that they do add a vanilla scent to the adhesive they use to glue in the plush lining in their cases. The "nitro" vanilla smell may in fact be in the buffing compound at the factory as previously mentioned, or it may be added to the nitro. I couldn't get a clear answer from Gibson when I inquired about what exactly is the nitrocellulose finish they use now, but looking around through forums for furniture makers and woodworkers, it's clear that "nitro" is formulated differently now, as compared to even the 1970s or 80s. They don't use the solvent-heavy lacquer that used to be used everywhere - the stuff that smells like nail polish. Nail polish, most of it, IS classic nitro, with all the volatile solvents that are shunned now for environmental reasons. The current production standards these days is a Catalyzed Nitrocellulose. That is, it has an accelerator of some kind included that "kicks" or speed-hardens in a very short time as opposed to the weeks, months and even years it used to take a new guitar to lose its lacquer smell. There's basically no odor at all to that kind of lacquer, maybe a slight chemical smell. If the lacquer has any scent, it would have to have been added intentionally.
So a new Les Paul will likely smell like a blend of the vanilla glue from the TKL case, some scent from the buffing compound or wax, and "maybe" some fragrance added to the odorless nitro lacquer.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be that as it may....

I also heard that the smell is actually Coconut Oil that is added to the nitro, to aid in its plasticity... and enhance the scent characteristics of the nitro....the stuff is odiferous as hell (plain Nitro) as I stated earlier...

I forget where I heard this....and its probably snake oil stories ....

I was going to order the Benzoin ....glad I didn't

So what's the source of their buffing compound....?

I have a buffer and I want some....that crap at the hardware store is just sandy wax ....

pblanton

Reaction score
New Gibson guitar / case scent : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725FNB9D

It's not exact, but it's close, and very nice. Don't over-use it, and I wouldn't spray it directly on the guitar, but a spritz or two in the case and allow it to dry before putting the guitar in it, and voila!

You can also spray down a small cotton cloth and tuck it into the case compartment under the neck.

My Les Pauls stay hung on the wall for easy access and they now have no discernable smell, but the cases still smell nice when I open them.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Be that as it may....

I also heard that the smell is actually Coconut Oil that is added to the nitro, to aid in its plasticity... and enhance the scent characteristics of the nitro....the stuff is odiferous as hell (plain Nitro) as I stated earlier...

I forget where I heard this....and its probably snake oil stories ....

I was going to order the Benzoin ....glad I didn't

So what's the source of their buffing compound....?

I have a buffer and I want some....that crap at the hardware store is just sandy wax ....
I can't remember the exact brand we used to use, but it definitely smelled great. It's not until you start the buffing process, that the sweet scent starts to come through.

rfrizz

Reaction score
Nitro STINKS. Nothing to do with buffing compound.
TKL cases smell sweet and the Chinese cases don't smell at all (*until your brand new nitro guitar makes them stink). I have Gibsons of varying ages with varying degrees of stinkiness. The 2020 LP Special I have stinks the joint out whilst my 2010 Custom barely smells at all.
I've had an SKB (I think) Les Paul case for almost 20 years, and it has a strong sweet scent. It isn't unpleasant, and it isn't overwhelming. At least it isn't to me, and I am very sensitive to strong smells -- migraines suck!

For some reason, it attracts the kitties. Maybe they have simply associated the aroma from the case with a great place to curl up and nap. (Luckily, none of them peed in it.)

Wudchuk

Reaction score
Can confirm. My first Gibby case still smells like vanilla in a smoke shop. Occasionally I put my guitar in there for the smell!

derek1977

Reaction score
The case smells like play doh. The nitro smells like vanilla. Not all nitro has the vanilla smell, though.

My 2013 ES 330 still has a faint vanilla smell. I have to sniff it every time I whip it out. :shock:

2014 ES 335 does, too.

2018 ES 335 just smells like fresh cut wood. No case or nitro smell.

2019 LP Special smells like the case.
Would love to see a photo of your ES collection!

NiteGoat

Reaction score
The case on my 2014 had a super strong vanilla smell. I used to love opening it!

Heck if that benzoin resin actually would do the trick, I'd put it in all of my cases. The aluminum one that came with my SG Standard HP just absolutely reeked of chemicals. I've gotten a couple of aftermarket cases that just stunk to high hell also. I had to leave them open in one of the extra bedrooms for a week or two before I was willing to use them.
My 2014 Trad Pro II case has that strong “Gibson” smell also. My 2009 Trad does not have it at all.

trapland

Reaction score
It
In "case" you haven't followed the many discussions about the smell of a new Gibson, the Yorkville (TKL) case I bought for my Tele smells just like... a new Gibson. After the Tele has been in it for a while, it will smell like a new Gibson, too. TKL adds benzoin resin to the case to cover the smell of the glue.

My Vietnamese Fender tweed case smells awful. I'm going to look for some benzoin to put in the case.
Its the case, the wood, the glue to assemble the guitar, the buffing compound and the nitro, maybe some other things.. But much or most of it is the case, I agree.

What you “proved” is that you made your Tele smell kind of like a Gibson case. All the other parts of the smell of a new GIBSON actually come from a new Gibson guitar. Unfortunately those lovely smells fade quickly leaving mostly the case smell, which is delicious.

I’ve bought a couple new Gibson’s that had inspection tri-folds dated less than 2 weeks old and I know I was the first to unbox it (my dealer knows it makes me happy). Those smell amazing and have barely absorbed the case smell yet. I’ve also unboxed fresh nitro Fenders and they have some of the smell but that sweet “vanilla” main smell isn’t there.

You know you have it bad when UPS delivers a few Gibson boxes to your local dealer and you start salivating.

trapland

Reaction score
It
In "case" you haven't followed the many discussions about the smell of a new Gibson, the Yorkville (TKL) case I bought for my Tele smells just like... a new Gibson. After the Tele has been in it for a while, it will smell like a new Gibson, too. TKL adds benzoin resin to the case to cover the smell of the glue.

My Vietnamese Fender tweed case smells awful. I'm going to look for some benzoin to put in the case.
Its the case, the wood, the glue to assemble the guitar, the buffing compound and the nitro, maybe some other things.. But much or most of it is the case, I agree.

What you “proved” is that you made your Tele smell kind of like a Gibson case. All the other parts of the smell of a new GIBSON actually come from a new Gibson guitar. Unfortunately those lovely smells fade quickly leaving mostly the case smell, which is delicious.

I’ve bought a couple new Gibson’s that had inspection tri-folds dated less than 2 weeks old and I know I was the first to unbox it (my dealer knows it makes me happy). Those smell amazing and have barely absorbed the case smell yet. I’ve also unboxed fresh nitro Fenders and they have some of the smell but that sweet “vanilla” main smell isn’t there.

You know you have it bad when UPS delivers a few Gibson boxes to your local dealer and you start salivating.

Latest Threads