That last step, yeah he missed it. Dad has hip surgery today.

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
Hope he has a full recovery, glad you’re close by to help out

Olds442

Reaction score
thank you everyone, your good wishes are very appreciated.

i kept mom here all day yesterday, we sat on the porch and just shared stories and I tried to make her laugh as much as possible. we called the nurses at 4PM and they let mom come see him for 3 minutes. that turned into an hour as they were nice and understanding with her. by the time she got back to the car she was soaked from sweating with a mask on for that long.

surgery was at 6PM, and we heard back at 10PM that he was out. he now has 1 rod and 2 pins in there holding things together.

i just got off the phone with him and he has no pain! such good news. PT was already in to see him to move his leg around a bit. he probably will be in bed all day today since surgery was so late last night. they'll get him up tomorrow or possibly this evening.

my sis in law is flying in today, i pick her up at 3ish. she is a PT and will be staying with mom and dad for a couple weeks. this will keep dad out of a recovery care center which makes mom very happy.

thanks again for all the well wishes everyone. we only have one set of parents and the longer we can have them enjoying a quality life, the better for everyone.

:cheers2:

SFK

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Great news! Positive thoughts for a speedy full recovery!

Roxy13

Reaction score
Glad to hear the surgery went well.

My mom fell on her cement driveway during the spring when her dog pulled her down and she refused to go to the ER because of Covid. Well, now it appears she may have fractured her skull and her upper jaw is like caving in :( She's still waiting to get into an oral surgeon to find out what is going on. I wish she had just gone to the stupid hospital when it happened. I even told her, "If it was me, mom, you KNOW you would tell me I had to go" and she admitted yes, she would have. She's a retired nurse and she suspected she might have had a skull fracture and would not go.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
My 84 yr old father took a bad fall last night when he and mom were leaving a friends house after a nice dinner and chat.

When leaving he missed the last step and went over, breaking his hip along with some other contusions and scrapes. Mom called when she was on the way to the hospital, I met her over there.

They won't let anyone in the hospital aside the patient, so I found mom waiting outside with the couple they had dinner with. She was shaking. I managed to get her to calm down and we waited at my place (5 minutes from the hospital) until we got an update from the nurses. No sense in sitting in the hospital parking lot when I live close by. 2 hours later after X-rays the nurse called to say he broke his hip and they stitched up his lip and arms. She also said hip surgery would likely be today, though they had to figure out how to work him into the schedule. He scraped himself pretty good as well and has stitches on his arms and lip.

Dad's been in and out of the hospital for the past few years, colon cancer, gall bladder, 2 other falls, probably something else I've since blocked out. We're regulars over there at this point.

So today he most likely has surgery but nobody knows exactly when just yet, and mom isn't allowed in. She's always been able to be with him so this is going to be rough.

Fuck you 2020.
I agree about your 2020 statement hope your Pop gets well soon as a guy whos parents are gone Enjoy them while they are here!

Olds442

Reaction score
he's probably coming home tonight, but possibly tomorrow AM at the latest. i picked up the sis in law PT at o'hare yesterday so today we have to homedepot some grab bars and safety railings for the bathroom at mom and dad's place.

i'll be drilling into their nicely tiled bathroom walls and installing ADA grab bars, which i guarantee you will piss off dad to no end. but he won't be able to get up or down off the shitter without them, also, into and out of the shower. not a tough job by any means, and it will be good to have him out of the hospital.

so that's my Thursday in a nutshell.

Olds442

Reaction score
fucking shit.

somehow, and since nobody can be there we don't really know how, he ended up out of the chair and on the floor. they called mom and cindy (sis in law PT) to inform them of this. they used the term "slid" out of the chair but cindy believes that's lawsuit terminology for fell. so fuck. x-rays to see how everything is and now he's going to be in there a few more days at minimum. should know a lot more later today.

it just can't go smooth, nope. gotta be a fucking train wreck.

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
Sorry to hear man. Hope it’s just a temporary setback and no longer term damage done.

Stay positive.

Cheers.

KTM

Reaction score
Yikes! Hope no more damage.

Olds442

Reaction score
argh, he was reaching for the phone and slid off the chair, xrays show no new damage.

they're face timing the PT session so my sis in law can see how he's doing. it's still possible that he comes home today.

i built a riser for his chair at home, so it's easier for him to get in and out of.

fett

Reaction score
You did good doing the riser. I lifted my La-Z-Boy by 4" and it made a huge difference getting in and out. :applause: :applause:There, but for the grace of ..., go I.
1600453067240.png

Last edited:

Olds442

Reaction score
so we pick him up in a couple hours, it will be good to have him home.

he's doing well with the PT so far, and can walk a bit before getting too tired.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Good to hear about your dad give him a big hip check from us all at MLP.

Latest Threads