That last step, yeah he missed it. Dad has hip surgery today.

Olds442

Reaction score
My 84 yr old father took a bad fall last night when he and mom were leaving a friends house after a nice dinner and chat.

When leaving he missed the last step and went over, breaking his hip along with some other contusions and scrapes. Mom called when she was on the way to the hospital, I met her over there.

They won't let anyone in the hospital aside the patient, so I found mom waiting outside with the couple they had dinner with. She was shaking. I managed to get her to calm down and we waited at my place (5 minutes from the hospital) until we got an update from the nurses. No sense in sitting in the hospital parking lot when I live close by. 2 hours later after X-rays the nurse called to say he broke his hip and they stitched up his lip and arms. She also said hip surgery would likely be today, though they had to figure out how to work him into the schedule. He scraped himself pretty good as well and has stitches on his arms and lip.

Dad's been in and out of the hospital for the past few years, colon cancer, gall bladder, 2 other falls, probably something else I've since blocked out. We're regulars over there at this point.

So today he most likely has surgery but nobody knows exactly when just yet, and mom isn't allowed in. She's always been able to be with him so this is going to be rough.

Fuck you 2020.

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
I'm very sorry to hear this. I sure hope all turns out well for him.. I'll keep him in my thoughts.

Jeff

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My 84 yr old father took a bad fall last night when he and mom were leaving a friends house after a nice dinner and chat.

When leaving he missed the last step and went over, breaking his hip along with some other contusions and scrapes. Mom called when she was on the way to the hospital, I met her over there.

They won't let anyone in the hospital aside the patient, so I found mom waiting outside with the couple they had dinner with. She was shaking. I managed to get her to calm down and we waited at my place (5 minutes from the hospital) until we got an update from the nurses. No sense in sitting in the hospital parking lot when I live close by. 2 hours later after X-rays the nurse called to say he broke his hip and they stitched up his lip and arms. She also said hip surgery would likely be today, though they had to figure out how to work him into the schedule. He scraped himself pretty good as well and has stitches on his arms and lip.

Dad's been in and out of the hospital for the past few years, colon cancer, gall bladder, 2 other falls, probably something else I've since blocked out. We're regulars over there at this point.

So today he most likely has surgery but nobody knows exactly when just yet, and mom isn't allowed in. She's always been able to be with him so this is going to be rough.

Fuck you 2020.
Yikes! :shock:

Hell of a grind for all of you folks! :(

I wish your entire family nothing but the best. Please keep us posted as things develop.

And by all means: stay strong.

A compassionate form of stoicism is called for here, if only to keep your mom from suffering unduly.

Best wishes,
--Rob

Last edited:

TheX

just some do0d
Premium Member
Reaction score
So sorry to hear this. Sending positive thoughts his way.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's awful, Olds! Not much you can do but help your mom. Best wishes to you all.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
My Dad is the same age so i can relate. Im dreading the phone call from my Ma saying hes fallen off a ladder or whatever fool thing he shouldnt be doing.

Heres hoping he recovers quickly

lancpudn

Reaction score
Hoping your Dad is back to health as soon as possible Olds.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this Olds. I hope your dad does OK and best wishes to you and your mom.

Three months ago my 90 year old mom was in the hospital and was able to get up out of bed in the middle of the night. She fell hit her head and broke her hip. This while in the hospital.

KP11520

Reaction score
May the Universe be easy on you all. Maybe even helpful!

My Best to you! You're a good man stepping up!

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
So sorry to hear about this Olds. Hard to believe... one minute nice dinner and company, next minute, hospital, stitches and surgery!

I pray that your Dad is resilient and strong and gets through this ok. I also hope you can help your Mum manage her worries, fears and anxiety (that’s what Mums do).

Look after them, mate. Let’s all hope this is just a brief detour on their otherwise beautiful shared journey.

cheers.

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
Tough duty my friend. Thankful you’re right there. Prayers and peace for all.

fleahead

Reaction score
Sorry to hear, sorrier at your situation. It sucks, no way around it. Hope you and your Mom can stay strong

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I feel your pain brother. My dad took a fall in April, been dealing with the fallout ever since. Along the way (six weeks ago), mom took a header down the stairs and broke her collar bone and leg (tibia).

I will include your dad in my prayers. Keep up the good fight.

KTM

Reaction score
I feel your pain brother. My dad took a fall in April, been dealing with the fallout ever since. Along the way (six weeks ago), mom took a header down the stairs and broke her collar bone and leg (tibia).

:(

I will include your dad in my prayers. Keep up the good fight. :)

KTM

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your father Olds! As others have mentioned it's a good thing you are close by for them. I'll keep you and your parents in my prayers.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
A big bucket of good juju your way bud!

Latest Threads