TGP is certainly not MLP

affordablehearing

Reaction score
Hey guys....

Just wanted to share this. If anyone keeps up with the members classifieds, as I am sure we all do, you will notice that I have an ongoing offer to trade hearing aids for gear.

My philosophy is... Being a touring musician and a hearing professional as well, new premium hearing aids programmed and serviced is one of the things I have to offer to the community. These things can get expensive and I know there is a lot of folks that need hearing aids. With that said... There is a lot of us that have excess instruments that we can trade off and such. In my mind it's a service that is a win/win.

After a MLP nember suggested ( which I appreciate) that TGP might be a good place to post a classified, I went ahead... Paid the $12 annual classified fee... Posted the ad... And within 10 mins of the ad posted I was being called a fake and a scammer along with very offensive, threatening and aggressive private messages. I immediately contacted the admin... Got my money back... And moved on.

I really could not believe that experience. It really makes me appreciate the kind folks here even more. Yeah there are scammers and yoyos pit there but there are great people too that want to help each other and share.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
That sucks, man. Unfortunately, we live in an age of distrust where everyone is suspected of running a scam until proven innocent.

On the bright side, here at MLP we like fart jokes! :thumb:

questionman

Reaction score
The folks over at TGP are an odd group.

The group here is just different...

I tried once to sell a guitar on TGP. The process was pay, post, listen to tens of people comment and say how overpriced it is and point out every tiny little flaw and trying to educate me on my own instrument. I gave up.

affordablehearing

Reaction score
Yeah... I really don't know why it has to be that way. Seems like One of the reasons we all get on here is to escape that sorta attitude and just hang out with people of like mind. Although I have been in threads here as well as seen threads that cross the line... It has never got to the point that I witnessed over there.

Fart jokes have been funny since I was 2. Why stop now?

Ed B

Reaction score
Wow, that does suck. F 'em.

I really only frequent this site, but buy from there a lot. They may have my favorite classified section. The fact that it's organized into categories is awesome IMO. I find myself there when searching for gear reviews too. From what I've seen I'd expect that reaction here before there.

Anyway there is no excuse for that. Glad to hear you got your money back.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've sold on both, but I bought a lot more than I sold on TGP. I've never had an issue though.

Ermghoti

Reaction score
TGP is worthless. Only place I've ever been banned from.

Ed B

Reaction score
Yeah... I really don't know why it has to be that way. Seems like One of the reasons we all get on here is to escape that sorta attitude and just hang out with people of like mind. Although I have been in threads here as well as seen threads that cross the line... It has never got to the point that I witnessed over there.

Fart jokes have been funny since I was 2. Why stop now?

I agree 100%.

I've read your ad here when you posted it a while back. Scammer didn't even cross my mind. If I were you I would have gone back at them hard. I would have called out the cowards sending PM's. It would have only taken a few minutes for people to realize you weren't scamming. Or a mod would have booted you. :laugh2:

Like I said, F*ck em.

affordablehearing

Reaction score
I agree 100%.

I've read your ad here when you posted it a while back. Scammer didn't even cross my mind. If I were you I would have gone back at them hard. I would have called out the cowards sending PM's. It would have only taken a few minutes for people to realize you weren't scamming. Or a mod would have booted you. :laugh2:

Like I said, F*ck em.

Well... I was pissed so I said a lot of things that I probably shouldn't.

After I sent a pm back explaining that they were out of line and not to contact me again, One of the pm's from this particular jackass said: "don't reply and nobody will get hurt!" I took that as a threat. I tried to respond back to the threads but could not respond for 24 hours.

I contacted moderators and the admin.. They were nicer but did not consider banning these jerks.

HenryHill

Reaction score
Contrary to accepted wisdom, people are not the same everywhere.

Bloodrock

Banned
Reaction score
Lots of cork sniffing going on at TGP. It's all about the flavor of the week, hand built, one of a kind, overpriced whatever over there. It's not for me.

50WPLEXI

Reaction score
That place used to be cool a few years ago. Now it just sucks donkey sacks. One of the mods is an outright bully, and a jackass to boot. I still have a t-shirt from them. I'm thinking of burning it in protest.

Oh and it's the only place I've been banned from as well. Why you ask, for calling Spike Lee a coward and a racist. Nothing to do with music/gear etc...

chasenblues

Reaction score
Was your first post worded like this?
If so, I could see some people seeing this as trolling/spam.
I'm not saying thats what you were doing,Not trying to justify the threatening PM's or the rest of the crap.
Just my .02c

"Hello Community!

I am a licensed hearing instrument dispenser and would be willing to trade high end premium hearing aids of your choice.. programmed and serviced for a gear.

Amps --- fender, marshal, etc...
guitars
mandolins
acoustics
What ya got? will consider anything

I carry all major brands and can get you about anything... depending on your hearing loss."

Chicago John

Reaction score
OP, I think people are jaded from internet scams all over the place, and if that was your one and only post there, it is not surprising that happened. I recall people were giving you a hard time over here not too long ago until you hung around a bit and they got to know you. I suggest you go back and hang out for a while, and you'll probably get a good outcome.

EDS1275

Banned
Reaction score
i dunno.... i think the moderation style is about the same here and there. the mere whiff of humorous cracking wise and you're perma banned.

i suppose the folks there have their own protective little community of well knowns and like john the above poster says is pretty much correct

Ermghoti

Reaction score
I have to ask why you were banned?

Somebody in "The Pub" (should be titled 'Romper Room' for accuracy) started a thread gibbering about some pseudoscience site about GMOs. I lolled and posted a link to the science around GMO safety, which is pretty airtight. I think I also mentioned there were IP and business reasons that some people were concerned about, that were separate issues.

Anyway, the tinfoils showed up quickly, so I started trolling a little, posted a couple of GMODERP images. One featured a stereotypical hippie with the Douchebag Hat photoshopped on, and was captioned something like "Makes Fun of Religious People for Ignoring Science about Evolution... Ignores Science on GMO Safety."

Next morning, c&p PM in my mail, photo deleted, bant. Might be temporary, don't know, haven't bothered to go back.

My suppositions: 1) The moderator is an idiot, and thought the image was making a statement about religion, which is banned due to the plague of tediously humorless P&W guys that get scammed three times a year by fake Booteek Gear salesmen, or 2) the moderators live in terror of the plague of tediously humorless P&W guys that are too dim to comprehend what is or isn't a religious statement.

Either way, the place is a bore, has little information not more readily availble elsewhere, and they actively protect frauds and hacks.

Latest Threads