Tesla Wins, GM is Doomed!

lancpudn

Reaction score
And never mind that in many places, mass transit either sucks or is nonexistent.
Yeah I can see that in parts of the country here but i cant complain about the public transport here in my neck o the woods (GMTE) , it's excellent.
I live 5 minutes from bus & train station with three trains in the hour every hour till late & buses run every ten minutes in any direction I care to mention.

As a pensioner I do have my free concessionary travel pass for my county which I use as much as my car, In most cases it isn't worth me getting the car out of the garage to go into town as it takes longer than the bus, I can even go to the next town 9 miles away on the train quicker than it takes to drive two miles into my town because of chronic congestion. o_O

For the first time ever they're introducing a £10/year charge on the concessionary travel pass from the 1st February because of environmental/air quality changes/ CAZ's etc.

From what I've read they are wanting to get rid of diesel buses over time & presumably this charge will go towards electric buses not to mention getting rid of the councils diesel vehicles!!!

I should imagine that's going to cost a pretty penny, Here's an insight whilst I'm on the subject of diesel vehicles I'm reading fleet lease companies are having vans returned early to avoid the daily clean air charges because of the new CAZ,ULEZ's being introduced, they are shipping diesel vans around the country where the CAZ's haven't come into effect yet:shock:

We are nowhere near the ICE ban and already the brown stuff is hitting the fan :shock:

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Yeah I can see that in parts of the country here but i cant complain about the public transport here in my neck o the woods (GMTE) , it's excellent.
I live 5 minutes from bus & train station with three trains in the hour every hour till late & buses run every ten minutes in any direction I care to mention.

As a pensioner I do have my free concessionary travel pass for my county which I use as much as my car, In most cases it isn't worth me getting the car out of the garage to go into town as it takes longer than the bus, I can even go to the next town 9 miles away on the train quicker than it takes to drive two miles into my town because of chronic congestion. o_O

For the first time ever they're introducing a £10/year charge on the concessionary travel pass from the 1st February because of environmental/air quality changes/ CAZ's etc.

From what I've read they are wanting to get rid of diesel buses over time & presumably this charge will go towards electric buses not to mention getting rid of the councils diesel vehicles!!!

I should imagine that's going to cost a pretty penny, Here's an insight whilst I'm on the subject of diesel vehicles I'm reading fleet lease companies are having vans returned early to avoid the daily clean air charges because of the new CAZ,ULEZ's being introduced, they are shipping diesel vans around the country where the CAZ's haven't come into effect yet:shock:

We are nowhere near the ICE ban and already the brown stuff is hitting the fan :shock:

I expect that that is likely the case in Greater Manchester. OTOH, over one Easter holiday I decided to take a tour of rural Devon and Cornwall by local buses. For leisurely sightseeing, wonderful, but if you have to actually get anywhere in a set time......

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I expect that that is likely the case in Greater Manchester. OTOH, over one Easter holiday I decided to take a tour of rural Devon and Cornwall by local buses. For leisurely sightseeing, wonderful, but if you have to actually get anywhere in a set time......
In other words, for weekend excursion it's fine...

But if you have to reliably be somewhere on time every day (like for getting to work), you are going to be in trouble.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
GM investors are specifically up in arms and speaking out about the proposed rollback of emissions by the Admin,
Why would investors be up in arms about something that improves profitability?

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
what makes you say that? charging times are dropping significantly.

and if you own one, you'll probably never wait for a charge, at least i don't. plug it in when i get home and it's ready the next time i want to go out. with about 300 miles of range.
And that works just fine if you have your own garage and your own charging station, and only use your EV for trips to/from work.
I can't put one into my condo garage... garage power comes from the community wiring and is only for lighting and door openers.
Each building has 6 garages fed from a couple of 20a breakers... not going to be able to install ANY chargers without rewiring the place, and that's if the HOA pays for power. It would require a major construction project to run dedicated feeds from the individual condo breaker panels back to the garages to separate out billing.

Then there's the problem of returning home on Sunday at the end of a holiday weekend road trip.
Even getting gas under that condition can be nasty, but the Tesla charging station in Kettleman City (30+ charging stalls) has a line a mile long waiting for power.

BEV is a solution for some drivers, but it is far from a universal solution.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
The "salesman" car I will buy is a camry hybrid. I figure for the 38k I will run it for 250-300k mi's and I wont live long enough to hit that mileage. The worst part is replacing the batteries is about $3500, and that's probably 4 years or so into owning it. I have no other use for the car and will not drive it except for biz.
Likewise here.... I'll probably have my Corolla for another 3 years (95k on it now, it's a '16) and replace it with a hybrid Camry.
But the newer Toyota hybrids are doing better than 4 years/200k on the batteries. Of course, a lot depends on environment and usage.
A hybrid is not the right vehicle for the housewife who only drives 5 miles to Walmart twice a week. The batteries need to be cycled regularly.
Temperature is another big factor, with cold weather being hard on them.
As well... both of those situations are situations where the owner will see little benefit in going to hybrid over ICE, as the ICE needs to run until the system is up to operating temperature, and until the batteries are at full charge.
For multiple trips in the same day, the system pumps the warm coolant into an insulated area to store heat to get the ICE back up to temp quickly on subsequent restarts, but that's not going to last more than a couple of hours.

Hamtone

Reaction score
Likewise here.... I'll probably have my Corolla for another 3 years (95k on it now, it's a '16) and replace it with a hybrid Camry.
But the newer Toyota hybrids are doing better than 4 years/200k on the batteries. Of course, a lot depends on environment and usage.
A hybrid is not the right vehicle for the housewife who only drives 5 miles to Walmart twice a week. The batteries need to be cycled regularly.
As well... both of those situations are situations where the owner will see little benefit in going to hybrid over ICE, as the ICE needs to run until the system is up to operating temperature, and until the batteries are at full charge.
For multiple trips in the same day, the system pumps the warm coolant into an insulated area to store heat to get the ICE back up to temp quickly on subsequent restarts, but that's not going to last more than a couple of hours.
Severe cold and Severe heat kills the batteries for sure. My intention is to buy it and use it until it falls down around me lol

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
how can a company that loses millions of dollars every year be valued that high? Does this make a dime worth a dollar?
I said the same thing in 1999... and I'd have been able to retire this year had I invested my SEP IRA in Amazon.

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
In other words, for weekend excursion it's fine...

But if you have to reliably be somewhere on time every day (like for getting to work), you are going to be in trouble.
It’ll get you anywhere reliably, it just may take awhile.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
No Steve, for driving to work an EV is great — unless you live an unreal distance from your work. You can plug the EV into a charger in your garage every night and that will keep it charged up just fine. But for driving trips, an EV may not be fine in some areas of the US. If your EV has a 300 mile range and you drive 200 miles away, you may have problems or serious delays in some areas. You’ll need at least an 100 mile charge to get home, and there may be no charging stations on your route in some areas. And if there are, they may be slow ones, you may need a hotel!

Last edited:

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
Tesla from 0 th 0!

Because it’s Friday.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Oh,guys, I don’t trust the sources that predict doom for any stock. I just don’t see that for Tesla. They are the market leader in EVs. And as I have posted, EVs are great for some uses, and not so great for other uses. But I could say the same about any car or any product. I don’t have an EV yet because of my special circumstance of living in perhaps the most remote part of the US, which means scarcity of quick charge stations. But not everybody lives in such an area. If they did, it wouldn’t be a remote area, Im not complaining, as we chose to live in a remote area because we like it that way. But, as we knew, there are adjustments to be made. For one thing, we have to buy more stuff online due to lack of retailing. And an EV is no good here for road trips, but is fine for local use. I look at the map of Tesla quick charge stations in the US, and quickly see that if I lived on the East or West coasts, I’d probably be driving a Tesla Model S and not a Mercedes C 43 AMG. But as I don’t live in those areas (and don’t want to) it is just that an EV can’t be our “road trip“ car. But an EV could be a “local use” car for us.

Last edited:

Olds442

Reaction score
And that works just fine if you have your own garage and your own charging station, and only use your EV for trips to/from work.

BEV is a solution for some drivers, but it is far from a universal solution.
i never said it was. i did say that hydrogen fuel cells were the ultimate future, barring some break through in fuel cell tech.
The batteries need to be cycled regularly.
actually let's correct that, none of the blue is true. what's bad for a Li batter pack is extreme heat, specifically at full charge. 80%-90% of charge is fine, but 100% charge in a very hot temp is what can cause degradation over long periods of time. which is why it's a liquid cooled pack.

now the early leaf's weren't liquid cooled, so they suffered a lot of life loss.

According to Jeff Dahm, the industry pro on Li packs, the optimal storage of a Li pack is cool temps, at roughly 60% charge. but doing that isn't going to make much difference between keeping it at 80-90% charge. data of vehicles with 500k miles in sunny california (hot climate) tells us that.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Tesla from 0 th 0!

Because it’s Friday.
"What's the trigger?..."

Malikon videos of course

And another thing! :D