Tesla Wins, GM is Doomed!

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
“Customers aren’t interested in hybrids,” Mary Barra, GM’s CEO, said during an industry conference in November.

But a study released by Deloitte this month found 27% of U.S. consumers are actively considering a hybrid, while just 8% are looking at pure electrics. Some 59% of Americans still want gasoline-powered cars, the highest of any country Deloitte surveyed globally.

I’ll give Elon credit with going all in, and give Barra credit for working hard on not selling any ICE GMs.
At least with Tesla I know they’re all in on EV, Toyota all in on Hybrids, but GM seems to want to ice ICE sales by their change of direction. After all why bother buying something that the maker wants to abandon in the near future.

Olds442

Reaction score

a former head of FMC feels that's all the big question. does the public want a non-tesla EV? some indicators point to "no", and the software gap could be the reason.

electric head

Just passing thru
Reaction score
I get to see her face every morning when I open my GM catalogs...

20_20_nada_Barra.png

Dolebludger

Reaction score
It seems that EVs will always be burdened by long charging times -- a problem ICE, hybrid, and HFC vehicles don't have. There are presently HFC vehicles operating in CA. The Honda Clarity is one. I think there are more, but cant recall make and model. For now, the Clarity is lease only, and only in CA. But it's a start.

Hybrids shouldn't be dismissed either. They don't have to be "wimpy" cars, as many race cars are hybrid nnow.

lancpudn

Reaction score
So many confusing signs going on with GM! It's invested over $2billion with LG Chem in a "gigafactory" plant in Ohio which will produce 200000 EV's,!!! Yet it didn't mention what those batteries will be going in! just that they'll have 20 EV
models out by 2023 and a BEV pickup truck out by the Autumn of 2021.

Then on the other hand GM sided with the Admin to roll back mpg/emission regulations with FCA and Toyota!!! and from what I've read GM investors are specifically up in arms and speaking out about the proposed rollback of emissions by the Admin, They will need 10 times the battery supply in five years time 2025.

VAG for instant spent $66billion on battery contracts alone.

Olds442

Reaction score
It seems that EVs will always be burdened by long charging times -- a problem ICE, hybrid, and HFC vehicles don't have.
what makes you say that? charging times are dropping significantly.

and if you own one, you'll probably never wait for a charge, at least i don't. plug it in when i get home and it's ready the next time i want to go out. with about 300 miles of range.

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score

a former head of FMC feels that's all the big question. does the public want a non-tesla EV? some indicators point to "no", and the software gap could be the reason.
The irony that Tesla may be standing in the way of the EV revolution. They really don’t have any real competition in their niche at this point, so EV==Tesla.

Hamtone

Reaction score
The "salesman" car I will buy is a camry hybrid. I figure for the 38k I will run it for 250-300k mi's and I wont live long enough to hit that mileage. The worst part is replacing the batteries is about $3500, and that's probably 4 years or so into owning it. I have no other use for the car and will not drive it except for biz.

The investment on a full EV car doesnt make any sense for me, plus I just hate them.

Tesla was first out, and will command the market in a niche fashion. Tesla is the equivalent to the new iphone, it's an appliance and it appeals to a certain niche. Chevy ford dodge etc, while yeah they can try to go that route, it is not their typical customer and it would not cross over well. I know ford is messing with it, but I think theyre messing with it more for foreign market rather than domestic.

filtersweep

Reaction score
A slight shift in government policy and ICE vehicles will be phased out with the stroke of a pen.

50 yrs ago, nobody foresaw unleaded fuel— and definitely not alcohol blends or biodiesel.

At some point— change will be forced upon us.

Surveys are a joke—- just look at what sells.

lancpudn

Reaction score
The "salesman" car I will buy is a camry hybrid. I figure for the 38k I will run it for 250-300k mi's and I wont live long enough to hit that mileage. The worst part is replacing the batteries is about $3500, and that's probably 4 years or so into owning it. I have no other use for the car and will not drive it except for biz.

The investment on a full EV car doesnt make any sense for me, plus I just hate them.

Tesla was first out, and will command the market in a niche fashion. Tesla is the equivalent to the new iphone, it's an appliance and it appeals to a certain niche. Chevy ford dodge etc, while yeah they can try to go that route, it is not their typical customer and it would not cross over well. I know ford is messing with it, but I think theyre messing with it more for foreign market rather than domestic.
There's a new start up battery tech company called Enevate https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200114005035/en/Enevate-Commercializing-New-Cost-Battery-Technology-Providing saying that they have a new chemistry lithium battery that can be charged in 5 minutes for 300Km of range and the cells/packs are easier to manufacture and use more commonly available materials.

I hear you saying "vapourware" as I did but Renault,Nissan, Mitsubishi alliance, LG, Samsung have thrown $millions of dollars into this company so that says there just might be something exceptionally groundbreaking.

Even though battery production is ramping up globally & the price is falling year on year one of the other reasons battery packs are so expensive is because the big car ICE manufacturers have so much investment in ICE engines technology they're not going to undermine that overnight. Economies of scale to reduce costs wont happen overnight as the legacy auto makers have so much to lose.

Mark V Guitars

バナナフライング...
Reaction score
A slight shift in government policy and ICE vehicles will be phased out with the stroke of a pen.

50 yrs ago, nobody foresaw unleaded fuel— and definitely not alcohol blends or biodiesel.

At some point— change will be forced upon us.

Surveys are a joke—- just look at what sells.
But electric vehicles use up more carbon to build than regular vehicles. They also rely on fossil fuel burning power plants for the electricity required to charge their batteries. I'd say that the people buying into the electric vehicle hype have been influenced by false data in making their decisions to go 100% electric. A better option would be a hybrid like a prius...and it pains me to say that. :rofl: