Tesla in 'code red' situation as Wall Street sours on stock

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
it's about supply chain and production line constraints. it's easier to produce fewer types and limit them with software than complicate the line with more variants.
And it doesn’t seem to be working if you lose money on the sale of each cheaper model sold.

Tesla isn’t selling servers, so it’ll be interesting to see how long they can keep treading water. Will they be able to stay the number one EV automaker once the big automakers come on line, or will they become something else.

Olds442

Reaction score
look for a new record production record Q2.

:cheers2:

@MikeyTheCat every other mfg has either a major battery supply issue due to LG and Samsung over promising and under delivering OR recalls (Audi and Jaguar) for various major issues. interesting parallels there huh?

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
look for a new record production record Q2.

:cheers2:

@MikeyTheCat every other mfg has either a major battery supply issue due to LG and Samsung over promising and under delivering OR recalls (Audi and Jaguar) for various major issues. interesting parallels there huh?
It also shows a problem with EVs which makes me wonder how well they will scale.

lancpudn

Reaction score
it shows a problem with unprepared auto manufacturers.

Yes you're right, VW's investors have not only been vocal about the "dieselgate" loses but are up in arms over their laggard ways to play catch up on electrifing their model fleet. The "Big three" auto manufacturers have been woeful as the world transitions to BEV's, VW have /are spending €85.6billion over the next few years and they've still not got a competitive BEV to challenge Tesla :eek2:

That sum doesn't include the tens of €billions invested in the Chinese market to manufacture BEV's there or the €billions investing in building battery manufacturing plants in Europe.

Bosch are now spending €100million year on year on e-mobility platforms & EV power trains/technology.

electric head

Just passing thru
Premium Member
Reaction score
If all it requires is for someone to unlock the software

Why not one of these guys?..

Related image

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Yes you're right, VW's investors have not only been vocal about the "dieselgate" loses but are up in arms over their laggard ways to play catch up on electrifing their model fleet. The "Big three" auto manufacturers have been woeful as the world transitions to BEV's,
"The world?" The EU. Nowhere else is the pace being unnaturally forced; in the US BEVs only amount to 1% of the automotive market (also, VW-Porsche-Audi at 3.7% has only half the US market share of Hyundai, without even getting to the domestic and Japanese giants. No other European carmaker even reaches 2.5%).

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
it shows a problem with unprepared auto manufacturers.
Especially for one in particular who is all in on EV. Supposedly, supposedly, the other auto makers have been intentionally slow to move into EV because they are aware of the supply issues. After all, an EV should be much simpler to design, build and maintain, but still they aren’t a profitable product at this point. Toyota has been building Hybrids since at least 2001 when I test drove a Prius and still hasn’t switched their line over to pure EV. What do they know that Elon doesn’t?

As always take all news with a grain of salt.

A more questionable source but...

Last edited:

Uncle Vinnie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Do not discount the machinations of outside forces. Remember Preston Tucker.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Do not discount the machinations of outside forces. Remember Preston Tucker.

Oh, God, not that conspiracy theory (pimped by the movie) again. Tucker Motors was undercapitalized, underresourced, and hadn't a prayer of succeeding, and Tucker himself was a liar and a con-man. The car itself (only 50 built, all by hand) never ran right, except for the specially prepped Indy demonstration cars. There was no malevolent alliance of outside forces needed to kill what was a self-doomed venture: it's a bit like Venezuelan propagandists trying to blame Chavez' cancer on the CIA.

Uncle Vinnie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh, God, not that conspiracy theory (pimped by the movie) again. Tucker Motors was undercapitalized, underresourced, and hadn't a prayer of succeeding, and Tucker himself was a liar and a con-man. The car itself (only 50 built, all by hand) never ran right, except for the specially prepped Indy demonstration cars. There was no malevolent alliance of outside forces needed to kill what was a self-doomed venture: it's a bit like Venezuelan propagandists trying to blame Chavez' cancer on the CIA.
You mean Chavez's cancer wasn't a CIA hit?

Undercapitalized? Absolutely.

Con man? I don't know one way or the other.

But then again the Big 3 at the time had no love for Tucker. His design and the innovations incorporated into his car were ahead of the curve which at the very least made Detroit a little uncomfortable. I'll leave it at that.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
You mean Chavez's cancer wasn't a CIA hit?

Undercapitalized? Absolutely.

Con man? I don't know one way or the other.

But then again the Big 3 at the time had no love for Tucker. His design and the innovations incorporated into his car were ahead of the curve which at the very least made Detroit a little uncomfortable. I'll leave it at that.

Sometimes “ahead of the curve” means no profitable way of producing something.
Happens all the time.

Often an idea needs a lot of other ideas to come to fruition before it can.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm not really a proponent of electric cars to be honest, I can just see some merit in the technology. My whole point in the previous post is that if electric cars are to become viable, the current way of doing things is pretty much irrelevant. In this case you really are reinventing the wheel.

But as Olds pointed out a few posts up, the new chargers are capable of 200 miles in 15 minutes. Go get your twinkies and hit up the bathroom while your car charges. I do a lot of traveling and I rarely see anyone use those service plazas for strictly gas. So they're already parking there for some time to begin with until they roll over to the pump. Use that time for charging.

And I'm not saying I even want this to be reality, just that there are ways to make things feasible without throwing your hands in the air and saying "this is impossible, it'll never work."
A 15 mintue charge is good - that makes it more reasonable and practical....

But how do they deal with the heavy current and the HEAT ?? Especially heat.

Uncle Vinnie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sometimes “ahead of the curve” means no profitable way of producing something.
Happens all the time.

Often an idea needs a lot of other ideas to come to fruition before it can.
That is absolutely (and unfortunately) true. Hard to imagine how much innovation never made it to the marketplace for that very reason.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
That is absolutely (and unfortunately) true. Hard to imagine how much innovation never made it to the marketplace for that very reason.
Oh it often does, just years later. That’s why the inventor has to decide if they should sit on the idea hoping the tech catches up so they can go forward, sell the idea to someone who can wait or just shelve it.

Rando375

Silver Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
oh.... hey... that's terrifying :shock:
It seems so until you consider how many millions of cars are on the road. Then it's just a drop in the bucket.

I would also look to see what the criteria for car fire is for the study. 7 out of 10 times we get dispatched for a vehicle fire there is no fire. Many of those times its other things -steam, exhaust smoke, etc.

I have no skin in this game but agree with @Crotch theres lovers & haters that see no good, or no bad.

Last edited:

DotStudio

Reaction score
A 15 mintue charge is good - that makes it more reasonable and practical....

But how do they deal with the heavy current and the HEAT ?? Especially heat.
From my very thorough 3 minutes of research, it looks like the latest chargers are liquid cooled. The other improvements are due to a software update that warms the battery up prior to charging.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
From my very thorough 3 minutes of research, it looks like the latest chargers are liquid cooled. The other improvements are due to a software update that warms the battery up prior to charging.
Thanks for the info there. I coulda googled but I'm a lazy one :rofl: