Tesla in 'code red' situation as Wall Street sours on stock

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Analysts cite cash crunch as CEO Elon Musk tells employees 'hardcore cuts' are now needed.

No matter what happens with Tesla, Elon and co have started a trend that will change cars forever. Now that other companies are following their lead EVs are getting better and better. Hopefully Samsungs rumored battery supply issues will be worked out so VW can move forward.

Here's the full story...

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sad for that. Genuinely.

Happy that I have a fuck-load of shorts, though! The only dilemma is when to jump. Greed is an evil whore! But, this was the easiest money ever made. How could anyone have not seen that lunatic running the company into the ground?

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Analysts cite cash crunch as CEO Elon Musk tells employees 'hardcore cuts' are now needed.

No matter what happens with Tesla, Elon and co have started a trend that will change cars forever. Now that other companies are following their lead EVs are getting better and better. Hopefully Samsungs rumored battery supply issues will be worked out so VW can move forward.

Here's the full story...

Maybe. EV still has a lot of issues, so we may be in for a longer ramp up.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
I’ve been a part of startups since 1991, and ironically that one is still around serving it’s original purpose (I just checked). I was a plank holder on that one and our investors were concerned with us being successful meeting our purpose and becoming self sufficient. Several others followed the same model and either had the plug pulled or were sold for scrap (one went from 100 people in luxury SF offices to 4 guys in a TX strip mall) when they didn’t hit their numbers.

These days those things don’t seem to matter with investors hoping for unicorns and startups pivoting from one dumb idea to another, from one bad business model to another.

Rant over.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
I’ve been a part of startups since 1991, and ironically that one is still around serving it’s original purpose (I just checked). I was a plank holder on that one and our investors were concerned with us being successful meeting our purpose and becoming self sufficient. Several others followed the same model and either had the plug pulled or were sold for scrap (one went from 100 people in luxury SF offices to 4 guys in a TX strip mall) when they didn’t hit their numbers.

These days those things don’t seem to matter with investors hoping for unicorns and startups pivoting from one dumb idea to another, from one bad business model to another.

Rant over.
My current issue, and many others, is the way the normal VC model and numbers works. It's predicated on proverbial home runs or strikeouts. The big wins pay for all the rest. The vc backed companies are pushed to scale and valuations as quickly as possible and many of them break in the process. If they had gone for a double instead, they would have been fine.

I'm a marketing guy. I'm doing a decent amount of work for a VC backed company in SV. Everything they want to do is "go faster."

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
My current issue, and many others, is the way the normal VC model and numbers works. It's predicated on proverbial home runs or strikeouts. The big wins pay for all the rest. The vc backed companies are pushed to scale and valuations as quickly as possible and many of them break in the process. If they had gone for a double instead, they would have been fine.

I'm a marketing guy. I'm doing a decent amount of work for a VC backed company in SV. Everything they want to do is "go faster."
Exactly. I’m a software guy and I get a pretty steady stream of startups wanting me to come in and fix their mess. It’s obvious that they rushed to get something out to support their half ass business model and never went back to fix either. Yet somehow they keep getting funding from somebody.

What surprises me is how so many business models that are used, Uber’s or Blue Apron’s for example, that are obviously unworkable but still get hyped on CNBC and FoxBiz.

lpfan1980

Reaction score

Here's the full story...

Well Muskie time to put up or shut up.

DotStudio

Reaction score
Musk didn't invent the electric vehicles and he didn't do anything new with them. What trends did he set?
Popularization. The business itself was terrible from the get go, but he definitely made EV's more palatable to the general public.