Terror In MY Town?

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Car deliberately driven into a mall. That's called Terrorism. It certainly can't be classified as self defense or bullying.

But it can be classified as psychotic, anti-social behavior. Was Son of Sam a terrorist?

foxtrot

Reaction score
There are many, many, many definitions of terrorism. A study from back in the 80s, I think it was, showed there to be something like at least 109 definitions amongst policymakers, analysts, and academics. Surely there are even more today.

Usually, it boils down to something in the realm of nonstate actors directing politically motivated violence against civilians (though there's certainly debate about whether state actors can engage in terrorism as well as debate over other important issues and aspects related to terrorism, such as who the violence is directed at, etc.).

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The legal definition of "terrorism" used by the US government is to be found in 18 U.S. Code § 2331 - Definitions.

I'd offer it here, but am not really interested in a debate involving semantics. I've noticed all along that the spirit of the law is never quite as interesting as the letter of the law whereas the public is concerned.

--R :D

Digger

Dingo Lover!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Deporting those "convicted" of terrorism is an approach that appeals to me!

Well assuming we can't just shoot the buggers...Grin~

<gator>

Reaction score
There are many, many, many definitions of terrorism. A study from back in the 80s, I think it was, showed there to be something like at least 109 definitions amongst policymakers, analysts, and academics. Surely there are even more today.

Usually, it boils down to something in the realm of nonstate actors directing politically motivated violence against civilians (though there's certainly debate about whether state actors can engage in terrorism as well as debate over other important issues and aspects related to terrorism, such as who the violence is directed at, etc.).

Interesting. I often wonder if some of these whackjobs just look for a "cause" to "justify" their actions. Can an act carried out by someone who may have visited a few websites but has no direct connection or backing from a terrorist sponsor really be called "terrorism" in the traditional sense, or is it just some heavily armed disaffected loser?

foxtrot

Reaction score
Interesting. I often wonder if some of these whackjobs just look for a "cause" to "justify" their actions. Can an act carried out by someone who may have visited a few websites but has no direct connection or backing from a terrorist sponsor really be called "terrorism" in the traditional sense, or is it just some heavily armed disaffected loser?

The increase of lone wolf terrorists and self-radicalization is definitely a big deal. It's obviously different from full on terrorist organizations but they usually fall within most definitions of terrorism/terrorists.

A lot of it seems to come down to the motivations. If someone goes out and kills random people we don't necessarily call them a terrorist. We call them a serial killer, a mass shooter, etc. If a person has political motivations, ties to terror groups (even if its just through websites and propaganda promoted by a terror group), etc, that's usually where things begin to differ.

If it's just some whack job looking for excuses to go nuts, whatever the excuse may be, then that's probably something different still.

Digger

Dingo Lover!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Even if he wasn't hell bent on Jihad, or islamic at all, I guess he will be embraced by the hard core believers in goal, and end up being as screwed up as them.

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
This has an overview of the situation & the person responsible: -

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...d/news-story/4cb549de920b1315cc93800a2a5a95f7

It was not a "terrorist" related incident.

RIP the poor souls that were run over by this total idiot.

:cheers2:

Agree. Not terrorism, just a toxic mix of evil, drugs and mental illness. The SOB was baled only the night before for setting someone alight. Should never have been allowed on the streets. Should be put down now... with extreme prejudice.

Cheers

rabidhamster

Reaction score
I've gotta be honest I've ways wanted to drive a car through a mall. Not with people in it though, just that zany 80s movie ****. If I am ever involved in a police chase I guarantee that's where I'll go. I'll honk the horn at pedestrians and before any blind walls though, I'm not a monster

This is awful news though and not something to be joked about. Prayers for all involved

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Only until before it is first mentioned in court.

I think the reason would be, to protect the ones they find out were not guilty... Just having an accusation or suspicion can ruin a person

EDS1275

Banned
Reaction score
is a squealing mic in a bar lounge considered terrorism?

lǎo​wài

It's All About the Maos
Reaction score
This incident is a case of workplace violence committed by a mentally ill man.

Digger

Dingo Lover!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah though initially it had some of the hallmarks of a terror offence and the copycat thing had me on the wrong track. The cops always deny it's a terrorist event initially.

Sadly a little boy from that atrocity also died this morning and I think that makes 5.

Latest Threads