Terada vs Fujigen Orvilles

LoveLes83

Reaction score
So i know it’s difficult to read, but i learned from the site below that Fujigen made have number only serials. If your Orville has a letter in the serial your guitar was Terada manufactured. Supposedly J means it has Japanese pickups and G are Gibson pickups.
How do these compare? I’m assuming both made lower and higher end models.

Also i would love to know anything you know about Terada. How respected are they? What brands did they manufacture?

Lesterdelphia

Reaction score
Terada actually makes all the Gretsch Pro Series guitars now. I have an '06 Terada built Gretsch that I've had since new and it's an immaculately built guitar. I've seen some videos of the Terada factory....I was surprised at how little CNC they use. Looks like they make 'em the old fashioned way.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
So i know it’s difficult to read, but i learned from the site below that Fujigen made have number only serials. If your Orville has a letter in the serial your guitar was Terada manufactured. Supposedly J means it has Japanese pickups and G are Gibson pickups.
How do these compare? I’m assuming both made lower and higher end models.

Also i would love to know anything you know about Terada. How respected are they? What brands did they manufacture?
Ummm, generally, the letter denotes the month it was built in. A-January, B-February, ....L-December.
Terada also built a lot of Electra's in the 73-76 range, and, well.... not as good as the Matsumoku made ones. Built most of the acoustics that Ibanez offered in the 70's
My 81 Artist AR100 was built by them, and is one of the finest instruments I have ever held. This DOES include the Gibby's I owned.

GammyBird

Reaction score
G serial number denotes a Terada made guitar. J serials were made at Fujigen but I can't remember what it stands for right now. Fujigen made guitars are considered to be a better quality guitar, but there's nothing out there to really prove that. Maybe somebody who's has 15 or 20 can confirm. Terada made tend to sell for a tad less than Fujigens. They both made higher end guitars for Orville By Gibson.

zombywoof

Reaction score
G serial number denotes a Terada made guitar. J serials were made at Fujigen but I can't remember what it stands for right now. Fujigen made guitars are considered to be a better quality guitar, but there's nothing out there to really prove that. Maybe somebody who's has 15 or 20 can confirm. Terada made tend to sell for a tad less than Fujigens. They both made higher end guitars for Orville By Gibson.
I'm far from an expert but I do own (3) Terada OBGs and (3) Fujigen - (1)OBG (2) Orville.
I actually prefer the Fujigen models ....
One exception......I have one each in 59R...Between those two I prefer the Terada.

Latest Threads