Template Creation Question

kfowler8

Reaction score
I've read on various threads about building your templates using the 1/2" MDF or HDF. Couple points were made how critical it is that all of your templates are identical.

I'm curious the best way to do this.

Let's say your were going to make four templates. I'm thinking of layering four pieces of MDF together and then gluing one of my plan templates to the top. I would then secure all four boards together with two screws through the PU holes. So now your board is 2" think. You could then cut and sand the outsides and in theory have four identical shaped boards.

Any reason this wouldn't work?

Thanks!

LC100

Reaction score
One master. Make identical copies with a pattern or flush trim bit with a router. Take your time with the master and get it as perfect as you can. Any subsequent copies will inherit whatever flaws you left in.

kfowler8

Reaction score
One master. Make identical copies with a pattern or flush trim bit with a router. Take your time with the master and get it as perfect as you can. Any subsequent copies will inherit whatever flaws you left in.

Doh! Didn't even think of that. Good change to use my new router.

Thanks!!!!!

kfowler8

Reaction score
You've obviously not seen the Yaron thread? :)

Actually I did. That's where I got the "make sure their identical". I was surprised he cut his separately. Seems like that could introduce more error if you're not careful. Of course, Gil has a hell of a lot more skill than I do.

TKOjams

Reaction score
Take your plans to office depot and have them make you two copies.
cut out the parts from the plan you want to make a template of. Glue the cutouts onto the MDF, of what ever you're making them out of, and cut them out.

tkojams-albums-57-lp-custom-replica-picture41515-03template.jpg

Use your first template(master template) to make more of the same templates.

hdoilcan

Reaction score
I took my plans I bought from EMCT to Staples and had some copies made. I had a little over $30.00 in copies made including Scotts plans for carving the top. They made the plans all exact 1.1 copies. Got them home and they were all 1/16 overall to long (body measured 17 1/4" X 13 1/16" instead of 17 3/16 X 13"). I wont be using them. I was able to buy a set of used EMCT templates. No worries now. I should have just bought the templates in the first place.

kfowler8

Reaction score
I took my plans I bought from EMCT to Staples and had some copies made. I had a little over $30.00 in copies made including Scotts plans for carving the top. They made the plans all exact 1.1 copies. Got them home and they were all 1/16 overall to long (body measured 17 1/4" X 13 1/16" instead of 17 3/16 X 13"). I wont be using them. I was able to buy a set of used EMCT templates. No worries now. I should have just bought the templates in the first place.

Interesting. I had my copies made at Office Depot for $1 a print. She even had to make four section copies of the body and piece them back together in Photoshop since they didn't have a scanner large enough. They had a printer but not a scanner.

On the girl's badge it said "In Training" so I was a little worried how accurate the results were going to be. Not to mentioned she flipped them for me to make them left-handed. The copies ended up being a dead-on replication. Turns out the girl was going to school for this sort of thing and knew vastly more than anyone else there. My total cost was $5.

hdoilcan

Reaction score
Interesting. I had my copies made at Office Depot for $1 a print. She even had to make four section copies of the body and piece them back together in Photoshop since they didn't have a scanner large enough. They had a printer but not a scanner.

On the girl's badge it said "In Training" so I was a little worried how accurate the results were going to be. Not to mentioned she flipped them for me to make them left-handed. The copies ended up being a dead-on replication. Turns out the girl was going to school for this sort of thing and knew vastly more than anyone else there. My total cost was $5.

I used to use Office Depot when they were in town, now we just have Staple's and Kinko's. Staples gets $0.50 a sq ft and Kinko's gets $0.75 sq ft. So it cost me $6.00 a pc for the plans from emct and $2.00 a pc for Scott's carved copies and I had 9 0f those done. Wish Office Depot was still around lol. Glad you got yours done cheap tho :)

kfowler8

Reaction score
I used to use Office Depot when they were in town, now we just have Staple's and Kinko's. Staples gets $0.50 a sq ft and Kinko's gets $0.75 sq ft. So it cost me $6.00 a pc for the plans from emct and $2.00 a pc for Scott's carved copies and I had 9 0f those done. Wish Office Depot was still around lol. Glad you got yours done cheap tho :)

Well we'll see how many I screw up and end up having to go back for more. Nice thing was I got a digital copy I can just take on a thumb drive and have them print it.

kfowler8

Reaction score
You've obviously not seen the Yaron thread? :)

Read more of Gil's thread last night. I see what you mean now about the templates. I had not read far enough and assumed he cut each one separately. I see no he made one and the used a router to duplicate the rest. Good stuff!

EagleOnyx

Reaction score
I made my templates from 1/4" mdf and wish I used 1/2" or more instead. You have to lower the starting point on the bit using 1/4" too much to get the bearing to touch the template. I've got 1/2" cutting depth bits too. I'm just saying that in case someone who didn't know reads this thread.

Latest Threads