I am about to purchase templates...

I have narrowed it down to 2 choices..

The Bartlett templates...

Templates
temp.jpg

And these:

1959 Les Paul Standard-Make your own!
1959LesPaulStandard.gif

i know Tom gets much respect around here and some people here use the templates he sells. but i need a complete set of templates as i want to start building instead of just re-shaping and re-finishing...

so what are the pros/cons of both sets of templates?

if i was to go with the Bartlett templates, where can i acquire the neck templates separately?

one more thing, does anyone know how well that second set would work with the Catto drawing, the Bartlett plans and/or the Bartlett carved tops ???

Thanks in advance ;)

NateM

Reaction score
A forum member here (Ole Lefty) worked hard on getting the CNC versions of the second set of templates correct to Catto specs in terms of the body. The kind that you linked to are the Laser cut variety which I believe are still incorrect or at least they were the last I heard. The Bartlett templates are, clearly, much more sturdy which is a definite plus.

Honestly I think that with the Bartlett plans and templates for the body you will be okay in terms of the neck. So much of what makes a good neck is in the shaping which is done mostly by feel and not by pattern. You can put a paper cutout of the neck on the wood to trace the general shape which should work just fine though the template would be sturdier of course.

73Custom

Reaction score
A forum member here (Ole Lefty) worked hard on getting the CNC versions of the second set of templates correct to Catto specs in terms of the body. The kind that you linked to are the Laser cut variety which I believe are still incorrect or at least they were the last I heard. The Bartlett templates are, clearly, much more sturdy which is a definite plus.

Honestly I think that with the Bartlett plans and templates for the body you will be okay in terms of the neck. So much of what makes a good neck is in the shaping which is done mostly by feel and not by pattern. You can put a paper cutout of the neck on the wood to trace the general shape which should work just fine though the template would be sturdier of course.

fair enough... i am still considering my options. you also make a good point about creating a paper cutout of the neck for a rough cut...

with that said, you don't happen to have a link to the Ol' Lefty updated templates do you?

NateM

Reaction score
Sure thing:

CNC Guitar Templates

They are about halfway down the page. I totally understand wanting the templates by the way. It definitely is nice to have something solid in your hands.

MRJ5

Reaction score
I recommend Tom's templates. They are much better built, guaranteed accurate and you will receive them promptly.

The others are very thin and another set of thicker templates should be made from them to allow bearing and guides to work well.

Additionally I know someone who placed an order for the other in early October and is still waiting. It says on his disclaimer he is now just cutting templates ordered in October.

SMellmo

Reaction score
be prepared to wait if you order from guitarbuildingtemplate. It took like 2 months and a couple of emails for me to get my templates.

Fletch

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Go with Tom's. He is a guy who has really done his homework.

fletch

73Custom

Reaction score
Sure thing:

CNC Guitar Templates

They are about halfway down the page. I totally understand wanting the templates by the way. It definitely is nice to have something solid in your hands.

thanks for the link and yes, you are correct, something solid to look at, touch and feel is some what comforting...

I recommend Tom's templates. They are much better built, guaranteed accurate and you will receive them promptly.

The others are very thin and another set of thicker templates should be made from them to allow bearing and guides to work well.

Additionally I know someone who placed an order for the other in early October and is still waiting. It says on his disclaimer he is now just cutting templates ordered in October.

that's not good on the delay :wow: changes my perspective on things quite a bit...

be prepared to wait if you order from guitarbuildingtemplate. It took like 2 months and a couple of emails for me to get my templates.

sorry to hear that, i am definitely having second thoughts on those templates now...

Go with Tom's. He is a guy who has really done his homework.

fletch

starting to lean Tom's way for sure...

bfcg

Reaction score
Absolutely no question about it. Tom's templates are the way to go.
I will not get into bashing, it would be a very long post.

73Custom

Reaction score
Absolutely no question about it. Tom's templates are the way to go.
I will not get into bashing, it would be a very long post.

you guys have convinced me...

i will buy his plans as well and just make my own neck templates...

MRJ5

Reaction score
you guys have convinced me...

i will buy his plans as well and just make my own neck templates...

+1

Best plans and best plan of attack to make an LP accurate from the start. :thumb:

From there it is all in the effort.

73Custom

Reaction score
+1

Best plans and best plan of attack to make an LP accurate from the start. :thumb:

From there it is all in the effort.

seems like this is definitely the best plan of attack.

i am choosing a carved top now.

once i make up my mind on that I will order the plans, template, carved top and veneer for the headstock ;)

thanks guys :applause: :dude:

bfcg

Reaction score
Show me a headstock that needs a veneer and I'll show you a veneer:)

73Custom

Reaction score
Show me a headstock that needs a veneer and I'll show you a veneer:)

huh ? :hmm:

btw,
what do you guys think of this top?

4324a.jpg

Also, I was thinking of doing something like this
image1dc.jpg

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
^^^ I love that top! Go for it (or I might)!

Frank

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Cool!!
Now you just have to make a promise to document the build so you can share it with us. We need build threads desperately over here!!

73Custom

Reaction score
Cool!!
Now you just have to make a promise to document the build so you can share it with us. We need build threads desperately over here!!

LOL !!!! that's funny Magnus... and thanks your threads help inspire me to do this (although i've wanted to for a while)

i will document it as long you guys help me out. This is by far and away the most difficult thing I have ever attempted when it comes to guitars...

i only have done re-finishes and some re-shapings before.

i have most of the tools necessary, but will probably need to get a planer and/or spindle sander too...

anyways, it will be an adventure and i hope i don't make too many (costly) mistakes...

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My build, or assembling which might be a better word for it, was a real challenge for me since I had no experience what so ever of guitar building. What you're up to is even a greater challenge since you'll do everything but the actual top carving but as long as you keep cool and not rush into anything stupid I'm sure you'll make it.
I screw up with the finishing but even a screw up is a great experience, now I know so much better for the next build.

So good luck and keep us updated.

Latest Threads