Telltale signs of a Deluxe to Standard conversion?

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is exactly what mine is. The story from the gentleman I bought it from was that it was a custom-ordered Standard in the early '70s.

I am still somewhat perplexed, as the serial number on the headstock indicates it is a 1970-1972 Kalamazoo-made guitar. The pot codes have a 1974 date though. The frets are super low-profile, like a '69 Custom.

But either way, the pickup routes are most certainly factory humbucker. Do you have an estimate for what this guitar might be worth? (I don't plan to sell it anytime soon.)

View attachment 488026
View attachment 488023 View attachment 488025 View attachment 488024

Actually a 1969 Custom would have narrow and low fretwire not wide and low..... this type of fret (low/wides) are considered a later period fret and the noodle style mop Gibson logo is also a later period incarnation.... it is closer to a '74 than not.

I rather let others give a number in value as i always give numbers too low for some...... it's because i been around these guitars when they sold for $300 to $400 new..... they're just old used guitars to me now.....:rofl:

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
1970-'s serial numbers were all over the place...how did you determine early 1970 from the serial number?

My bet would be 1973/1974 small script standard.....but the GT does create a little bit of a problem there, unless it was a custom color also.....

all 1973/1974 small script standards I have ever seen were TB in color.

I would still want to see pics of the cavities from the other angle (showing the tenon) the bridge cavity and control cavity.

value can not be given with those pics.......the market is also TOUGH right now!!

edit:

great minds think alike.

jonnyglock9

Reaction score
:wow:very nice

you got a pic showing the neck side of the route? that looks like a factory route to me

not an expert but i know just enough to get me in trouble !!

great score, how does sound and feel?

value...i cant even guess, someone here will give you an accurate figure

Thanks! The tone, feel, are absolutely incredible. I don't think anyone has worked on it in decades, and it is *perfectly* intonated, stays in tune for dayyysss. Sounds like a dream. Super spanky PAF tones.

Actually a 1969 Custom would have narrow and low fretwire not wide and low..... this type of fret (low/wides) are considered a later period fret and the noodle style mop Gibson logo is also a later period incarnation.... it is closer to a '74 than not.

I rather let others give a number in value as i always give numbers too low for some...... it's because i been around these guitars when they sold for $300 to $400 new..... they're just old used guitars to me now.....:rofl:

Ah, right on. The guy I bought this from actually had a '69 Custom as well, which I played for a while. I didn't know the technical differences between the too, only that the frets felt similar. Kinda kicking myself for not buying that Custom too. It's gone now.

1970-'s serial numbers were all over the place...how did you determine early 1970 from the serial number?

My bet would be 1973/1974 small script standard.....but the GT does create a little bit of a problem there, unless it was a custom color also.....

all 1973/1974 small script standards I have ever seen were TB in color.

I would still want to see pics of the cavities from the other angle (showing the tenon) the bridge cavity and control cavity.

This was from various online serial checker tools, so by no means a sure bet. I have definitely read about the serial numbers in this period being rather wonky. I will attach a few more pics below. Someone else did tell me that the tuning machines don't appear to be stock. One of the pots was clearly replaced.

Thanks for the help, fellas! I am glad this thread came back to life!! :)

IMG_1009-small.jpg

IMG_1022-small.jpg

IMG_1002-small.jpg
DSC_0050-smaller.jpg

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The neck join and route along with the control cavity layout has me convinced it’s a ‘74.....

A rather nice one at that.

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
absolutely....and don't forget that "stripe"!!

I bet it has a big ol honkin' Heel also!!

It is Badass...that's what it is.

monstruo_loco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian Robertson with Thin Lizzy had a burst Deluxe as did Scott Gorham, but Robbo eventually routed his for full size HBs although he began playing a black Custom live instead of it while Gorham continued to use his unaltered for quite awhile.
I’m not able to tell, but the one he plays in this video (long after his days in the band) might be that guitar.
Always thought the Thin Lizzy dual harmony guitars sound both studio & live was excellent, one of my favorite bands with Gary Moore or Robertson.
4A51B59E-3DE6-4DAB-AF5F-C4B0FFCB7989.jpeg

Latest Threads