Tell me about the Les Paul recording model.

DADGAD

Reaction score
For some reason I'm really GASsing for a LP recording model. The 2013's look bad ass to me and in the natural tops, they look great. The vintage ones are too pricey for me but I was wondering if anyone here who has one of the newer ones can tell me their experience with them on how accurate they are to the originals and how flexible the tonal options are. Are the low impedance pickups good for a wide range of musical styles? I saw some on Wildwoods site that got me wanting to save for one. Les Paul used it as his weapon of choice for years right?
photo_zps0615088e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Left Paw

Reaction score
Do a search here. Look on google. Lots of sources of info besides all of us typing.

DADGAD

Reaction score
I know "Google is my friend". I'm just looking for a real world evaluation from an actual forum brother owner, not just specs. Things that are not necessarily found on a spec sheet.

Farquad

Reaction score
The recording is a really cool LP. Its tail heavy. The sound is clean and articulate, with a lot of variability in the controls. The switches dont really do anything different than push pulls on other models, but they look cool. The neck has just the right thickness to it. Mine had a funky jack that i had to have replaced, but other than that it is a phenomenal player.

IMG_2989.jpg

DADGAD

Reaction score
Gibson's site says it has a 60's neck. "60's" neck tend to vary from model to model. I'm surprised to hear there is some thickness to it.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't own one, but tell me "Here's my credit card, go buy any Les Paul you want" and I just might get an original Recording instead of the other peak of LPs, a '56. I haven't checked out the reiss, but the only bad thing I can think of to say about the '70s ones is that I don't, in fact, have one. They play like a wet dream and sound sweeter than a girl saying yes, plus they look seriously badass. You can approximate P-90s or 'buckers with one, but neither P-90s or 'buckers can approximate their other tones - which are legion.
And I want a LP Triumph bass to go with it................
And, oddly enough, the originals have '70s necks :cool:

rikko

Reaction score
This guitar (for me) is the PERFECT blend of beautiful, and KOOL-UGLY!!!

But I just got a Tele, so no additional HNGD for rikko.

I'm excited for your HNGD DADGAD!!!

DADGAD

Reaction score
I like all my guitars to serve an individual sonic purpose. The recording model adds a wierd, cool fugly factor to my stable. I'll probably get one sometime early next year. I wonder how many people have swapped pickups on these or if there is any possible improvement.

TeaForTwo

The Guitar Whisperer
Reaction score
Years ago I would have hated that, but at 52 I think it's beautiful as all heck...

DADGAD

Reaction score
I wonder how the low impedance HB's sound with gain.

cristi tanasescu

Reaction score
pretty interesting looking guitar, it's just that to me it seems like a more of a studio guitar, rather than a stage one. It would sure work for jazz..

Callaway

Reaction score
Setting the Way Back Machine to long ago, I jammed with a guy who bought one of these when they first came out in the 70's. It struck me as a guitar and apparently to most of the players back then either feel madly in love with or were somewhat indifferent.

It was sold as with the usual Gibby hype (even back then) to be the end all do all wonder guitar capable of all sorts of miraculous things. They even stuffed a little 45 sized record in Guitar Player Magazine at the time with Bruce Bolan doing all the Swiss Army guitar stuff they claimed. My first thought was it was very well made came in two variations as I remember one sort of a Std small inlay rosewood board and the other ebony big block inlay like a LPC both were quite pricey I might add.

At the time it lacked a lot of the customary brightness and dynamics of the standard models I recall he fought to wring gain out of it. Looking back and knowing now that solid mahogany will nearly never get the brightness that mahogany and maple provides and that everyone sort of expected at the time. The Low Impedance pups had certainly something to with this as well it seemed like they also came with some sort of little transformer box which you plugged into if using a high impedance amp. This little box seems to be something you hardly ever being sold along with the older ones I've seen on the market.

It would still be a guitar I would never buy without playing one first, it hit me at the time as sort of a niche type guitar certainly not for everyone but beloved by the folks who bought them.

ToneasaurusRex

Reaction score
. . . he fought to wring gain out of it. . . . The Low Impedance pups had certainly something to with this . . .

A store clerk told me that the pickups "were basically like P90s" but I don't think that's true. The P90s in my goldtop love getting down 'n dirty and the pups in that Recording model are designed to be clean and stay clean.

Brutalisateur

Reaction score
I dont think you should buy one of these unless you're sure it's what you're looking for. It was made for specificly Lester to plug straight into a mixer board and play clean 40/50's guitar pop with, nothing else.

..although I read somewhere that the new reissues has some kind of signal boost or some such so you can use it with an amplifier and even get some gainy sounds.

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think you should buy one of these unless you're sure it's what you're looking for. It was made for specificly Lester to plug straight into a mixer board and play clean 40/50's guitar pop with, nothing else.

But these days a lot of us are doing almost the equivalent of that at home and even sometimes live, so maybe it's an idea whose time has come around again.

circles

Reaction score
Switch the hardware to brass, add a goofy fake dial to cover up what's left of the exposed wood, and it would be a fine steampunk guitar.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
At the time it lacked a lot of the customary brightness and dynamics of the standard models I recall he fought to wring gain out of it. Looking back and knowing now that solid mahogany will nearly never get the brightness that mahogany and maple provides and that everyone sort of expected at the time. The Low Impedance pups had certainly something to with this as well

Actually, one of the main characteristics of Lo-Z p/ups is that they have a much wider frequency response, keeping the high end that Hi-Zs take out of the strings' sound.

jmiked

Reaction score
The Low Impedance pups had certainly something to with this as well it seemed like they also came with some sort of little transformer box which you plugged into if using a high impedance amp. This little box seems to be something you hardly ever being sold along with the older ones I've seen on the market.

It would still be a guitar I would never buy without playing one first, it hit me at the time as sort of a niche type guitar certainly not for everyone but beloved by the folks who bought them.

Some of the Les Paul Low-Z models had the transformer built-in, some had a separate matching transformer. The transformer was a standard Shure A95HF Line Matching Transformer you can still buy from many places. The one from Gibson (as I understand it) had a Gibson sticker glued over the Shure label.

I had to build my own Low-Z pickups, since I couldn't afford to buy a Gibson model (I'm a poor, retired guy). It really nails that sound that Les was getting. I like it a lot. It's not for every type of music, though.

Latest Threads