Tell me about Maestro Vibrola tailpiece

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whose vibrola did you use?

I put a WD Music one on one of my SGs and that thing was the biggest pain in the butt ever. I had to heat and bend the comb to get the action somewhat reasonable. And then the screws that came with it were too large to fit in the holes, ugh!

Roxy13

Reaction score
Thanks :) It seemed like at the time all of the better vibrolas had the Gibson logo etched onto them and I didn't want a non Gibson guitar to have that on there. And right now I'm building a white 3 pickup SG custom. I'm tempted of course to put a vibrola on it because I love the look but I don't want to go through hell with one again and of course it's my build, so once again, don't want it to have the Gibson engraving.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks :) It seemed like at the time all of the better vibrolas had the Gibson logo etched onto them and I didn't want a non Gibson guitar to have that on there. And right now I'm building a white 3 pickup SG custom. I'm tempted of course to put a vibrola on it because I love the look but I don't want to go through hell with one again and of course it's my build, so once again, don't want it to have the Gibson engraving.
it’s pretty good…
my next sg will have the same one…
i kinda love it…the handle is super easy to cradle…has what appears to be a goofy shape but it fits in ur pinky finger/ring finger area beautifully while playing

it does not have the same bending ”style” or “range” of a bigsby…but SGs look so freaking good with maestros

I can’t wait to see yours….im going to eventually build a sister Rosetta Tharpe white 3pup with gold everywhere…

keep me posted on ur 3 pup model

982F0EC6-F3E5-4098-92FF-9F2F4C661885.jpeg

-chris

Roxy13

Reaction score
it’s pretty good…
my next sg will have the same one…
i kinda love it…the handle is super easy to cradle…has what appears to be a goofy shape but it fits in ur pinky finger/ring finger area beautifully while playing

it does not have the same bending ”style” or “range” of a bigsby…but SGs look so freaking good with maestros

I can’t wait to see yours….im going to eventually build a sister Rosetta Tharpe white 3pup with gold everywhere…

keep me posted on ur 3 pup model

View attachment 542759

-chris
Yep, like hers. Maybe I'll do the sideways vibrato, but I've always heard they suck lol.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, like hers. Maybe I'll do the sideways vibrato, but I've always heard they suck lol.
I always prefer bigsbies but the one I linked is the best…I put a b5 on my sg initially and it just didn’t look right…
hard to explain but it was kinda industrial looking…not sleek

im a huge fan of that model from eBay…clean and action is low…coupled with the minis it’s a very unique sound…

probably the only stratosphere I haven’t routed a 3rd pup in…u and I are kindred spirits :h5:

3 pups rule

-chris

Roxy13

Reaction score
I always prefer bigsbies but the one I linked is the best…I put a b5 on my sg initially and it just didn’t look right…
hard to explain but it was kinda industrial looking…not sleek

im a huge fan of that model from eBay…clean and action is low…coupled with the minis it’s a very unique sound…

probably the only stratosphere I haven’t routed a 3rd pup in…u and I are kindred spirits :h5:

3 pups rule

-chris
I'm doing a 3 p90 one as well. Also a custom with the ebony board and gold hardware lol.

mdubya

Reaction score
Whose vibrola did you use?

I put a WD Music one on one of my SGs and that thing was the biggest pain in the butt ever. I had to heat and bend the comb to get the action somewhat reasonable. And then the screws that came with it were too large to fit in the holes, ugh!
The stock Gibson ones are too flat also. I want to bend mine to be more usable, but "first, do no harm."

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
My lefty 1964 ES-345 with it's original Maestro Vibrola. I really like the way these look, and it functions pretty well. The thumb wheels are domed on top so the bridge rocks slightly when you use the unit. Tuning issues are not as bad as you'd think. These units are heavy, not sure about the weight compared to a Bigsby though. This has seen a lot of use in 57 years, the gold plating is mostly gone, only under the strings is left.
lefty  64 es 345 j.jpg

moreles

Reaction score
They're mechanically terrible. There are two selling points: (1) some people think massive metal contraptions slapped on a guitar top are somehow attractive, go figure, and (2) they do counteract head dive to a large extent. I, too, like the subtle wavering trem effect, so I get the attraction of that, but when a device detunes the guitar, it's just plain bad, period. I wish these worked. Wanting them to doesn't make it so. They suck.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I have a new ‘61 reissue SG with a Maestro. It stays in tune. The only issue is that it adds a metallic sound. You definitely will hear a difference between it and a hard tail.

truckermde

Reaction score
I have a new ‘61 reissue SG with a Maestro. It stays in tune. The only issue is that it adds a metallic sound. You definitely will hear a difference between it and a hard tail.
I never considered that, but I can see how it could be true.

pmonk

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't you The Fool that guitar?

I am really gassing for a SG with standard inlays (I have a faded that I added a Bigsby for weight purposes)

I just don't see me paying CS prices but debating whether to get a standard or the 61?
Repeating my question? Can the metal parts be removed and just keep the frame of the Vibrola?

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Repeating my question? Can the metal parts be removed and just keep the frame of the Vibrola?
That is what mine is. Granted that was decades ago, but I doubt things are much different if at all. When mine was done, there was no "decorative" plates, only the real deal trem. Sorry if my earlier post was not more clear.

wmachine

Reaction score
My 2016 '64 345 Reissue. Like Lefty's, note much less angle from the bridge to the tailpiece than on an SG. I have no trouble with it.

Latest Threads