Tell me about Maestro Vibrola tailpiece

truckermde

Reaction score
I'm really takin' a shine to these '61 SGs with the Vibrola.

Thing is, I only like the looks of it as a tailpiece, and am not interested in using it as a functional vibrato.

Does anyone have experience with isolating it, like is easily done on a Strat with a small piece of hardwood?

I have no hands on experience with one, and as such, can not visualize what to do, which is why I'm asking for input.

Thanks in advance! :)

1622758789293.png

RobertD

Reaction score
I had a 64 with one and like you I didn't use it. I just turned the bar around and forgot about it. But they do look good.

judson

Reaction score
just take the arm off , leave it be...its not going anywhere usually,

or like post above rotate the arm back and tighten the screw

years back i had same tailpiece on my 72 ltd edition firebird, i used it frequently and you learn how sensitive it is and use it accordingly can be very effective .....you cant dive bomb it two or three times in a row and expect it to stay in tune but small accents done with a light touch sound great to me....you just to learn how to use it sparingly , my opinion.

just got another 72 to replace the one i had to sell years ago.....no adjustment needed, just leave the divebombs alone :hmm:

Last edited:

vaguely

Reaction score
agree with above. if you really must have it out of the mix, do as stated above but you're passing up something that is more musical and artistic, than straight-up-useful, in my opinion. the contraption is pretty wonky and yes, if you push hard, it'll go out of tune, but, it can be incredibly musical and beautiful; putting a tasteful lilt to chord stuff without sounding exaggerated or harsh. I have one a few guitars and really love them, quirks and all. hope it works for you!

truckermde

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I wondered about removing the arm & leaving it at that...

Paul46

Reaction score
I have one on my 355. As others have said, just rotate the arm out of the way and you're golden. It functions better as a cool looking piece of art than a vibrato anyway!

pmonk

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't you The Fool that guitar?

I am really gassing for a SG with standard inlays (I have a faded that I added a Bigsby for weight purposes)

I just don't see me paying CS prices but debating whether to get a standard or the 61?

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
I have a Maestro on my ES-345. I like the look of it, but I find finger vibrato and bends to be more difficult as the unit sags under bends. I can't see a way to block it, as you can with a Strat, but I'm not going to convert it, no way.

Andrew1225

Reaction score
I was GASing for the same model OP.

Past experience with a Maestro has not been good tho. Some of them don’t have a good break angle from the factory.
Had a 2018 walnut 355 with one and it wouldn’t stay in tune even without the usage of the arm. So I replaced it with a bigsby:/

truckermde

Reaction score
I have a Maestro on my ES-345. I like the look of it, but I find finger vibrato and bends to be more difficult as the unit sags under bends. I can't see a way to block it, as you can with a Strat, but I'm not going to convert it, no way.
I was GASing for the same model OP.

Past experience with a Maestro has not been good tho. Some of them don’t have a good break angle from the factory.
Had a 2018 walnut 355 with one and it wouldn’t stay in tune even without the usage of the arm. So I replaced it with a bigsby:/
These were both concerns I had about getting one.

And I'm not really sold on that Trucks mod job. I mean, if I already had the guitar, I can see that as a good remedy, but I don't know about buying one to do it...

Thanks for all the replies :)

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
You can buy a Derek Trucks or make the same setup ...
Yeah, "making the same setup" is what I was inferring by posting my SG above. To me, it is the best of both worlds having "the look" along with also having a normal hard tail. Just keep it in mind, if you do you just add the plate, it is a good idea to add a ground wire to it.

mdubya

Reaction score
I'm really takin' a shine to these '61 SGs with the Vibrola.

Thing is, I only like the looks of it as a tailpiece, and am not interested in using it as a functional vibrato.

Does anyone have experience with isolating it, like is easily done on a Strat with a small piece of hardwood?

I have no hands on experience with one, and as such, can not visualize what to do, which is why I'm asking for input.

Thanks in advance! :)

View attachment 541664

I got this last Nov/Dec.

Mostly, I just wanted to be able to say words like wangbar and wiggle stick.

I love it. I have to just about go out of my way to use it. No tuning issues at all, for me. Do it. Pull the trigger.

truckermde

Reaction score
I got this last Nov/Dec.

Mostly, I just wanted to be able to say words like wangbar and wiggle stick.

I love it. I have to just about go out of my way to use it. No tuning issues at all, for me. Do it. Pull the trigger.

I do love that!

Nice addition to your Firebird collection. :cheers2:

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love mine…it’s on a 50s tribute husk from stratosphere…
keeps tune amazingly…

im a huge fan and wouldn’t have an sg without one

couldn’t afford the cool ones with the engraving….but the blank is a steal and sounds [and looks] so cool imho

51378AAF-B1B6-4095-866F-8AB07091D2B4.jpeg

the_lawyer

Reaction score
Maestros are at the same time the most coolest and most useless items you can screw on a Gibson guitar... period!

Roxy13

Reaction score
I love mine…it’s on a 50s tribute husk from stratosphere…
keeps tune amazingly…

im a huge fan and wouldn’t have an sg without one

couldn’t afford the cool ones with the engraving….but the blank is a steal and sounds [and looks] so cool imho

View attachment 542628
Whose vibrola did you use?

I put a WD Music one on one of my SGs and that thing was the biggest pain in the butt ever. I had to heat and bend the comb to get the action somewhat reasonable. And then the screws that came with it were too large to fit in the holes, ugh!

Latest Threads