Teles-52 RI vs G.E. Smiths

homenote

ROCKSTAR INC (T.M)
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Greetings MLP members!

I'm in the market for my first Tele and have narrowed the choice to 2. The G.E. Smith or 52 RI.

I was hoping to get some advise to help me decide between them.
The type of tones I'm hearing on this video is comming from a GE and is a type of tone I hope to achieve with my new tele. The only thing is the extra deep U shaped neck. I have only played Older LPs and am used to the chunky 58/59 type so I supose the fatter neck will be a good thing. The tone in this video to me is not over bright or twangy. How does the 52 RI compaire? Could this tone be dialed in on one or is this warm fatter tone a result of the attached pup to the body and neck shape?:hmm:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DhJxq9KzhQ]YouTube - Tweed Gibson-'59 Ranger GA20[/ame]

I am truely lost when it comes to Fender stuff. :laugh2: Any advise would be a huge help.:thumb:

homenote

ROCKSTAR INC (T.M)
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Bump 4 the mourn crew. :)

homenote

ROCKSTAR INC (T.M)
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I0536MoijY&feature=youtube_gdata_player]YouTube - Melancholy little thing[/ame]

Cool cat huh?

homenote

ROCKSTAR INC (T.M)
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No opinions @ all? I'm a Gibson guy too but Comon guys and gals TelesRcool..
(smiley face thingy)

Dan

Reaction score
Any number of factors can affect the tone of a guitar. I've read that a flatsawn and quartersawn neck have different tones. Have I heard it? Nope. But, based on what I've heard builders and respectable builders say, a neck with denser wood will have a more focused sound. To be honest, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about the neck shape effecting on tone. The density and sheer dumb luck of wood choice in the neck would have more affect, in my opinion. What I'd be more concerned with, neck-wise, in which shape is more comfortable for me.

As far as tonal differences between a wood-mounted pickup and the classic bracket mount, there might be some merit there. I would say there is less twang out of the GE Smith Teles I've heard. I'm a big fan of GE Smith and was interested when I heard Fender gave him his own guitar and looked at quite a few videos. Let me state that I have not played one myself. However, based on what I have heard, it's got less spank. That's neither good nor bad, just how it is.

If I was to give you any advice on which one to get, I'd so go with the one with the most comfortable neck for you. You already like the tone of the GE Smith, but if the '52 RI is more comfortable, you can wood mount its pickup just like the GE Smith Tele under the bracket. Perhaps someone on here has done it, but I know I've seen posts about it over at the Telecaster forum. I would most definitely take a gander over there. They've got as many people who are Tele experts as we have people who are LP experts.

I'd get the GE Smith Tele just because GE Smith is a total badass :thumb:

Iceman0124

Reaction score
Vids and descriptions can only go so far, especially if your travelling far from your beaten path. Your best bet is to get your hands and ears on the guitars your after...guitars vary piece by piece, and real tone and playability can only be guessed atuntil you have the guitar(s) in your hands.

Reactions: Dan

Thundergod

Reaction score
My advise would be to go and try them first. U necks are great, really comfortable if you like chunky necks, I have a tele with a U shaped neck and it's one of the most fantastic things on earth. I say try both and buy the one you like the most. Keep an open mind, if you see another tele in the same store, try it too, they can vary a lot from model to model as they have different wood, neck shape and electronics.

Anyway, buy any one of them, it doesn't matter 'cause in no time you'll be buying the other. Remember this words. :thumb:

Big_dawg

Reaction score
my go to guitar is a 52ri - love it to bits (over an LP custom, 335 and USA strat). The neck took a bit of getting used to, but more so the stickiness of it - Play it and it goes away. The thickness of the neck is as big as it gets (a 59vos feels thin in comparison).

The sounds - through a mesa express 5:50, without effects, I can go from cream woman tone, red hot chili peppers clean melodic tone and even get zeps heartbreaker and whole lot of love out of it..(but werent they recorded on a tele??), and obviously youve got the standard tele twang, and everything else a tele is good for - all through the stock pups. THe only modification ive done is get rid of the 50s dark wiring and swap the cap out for one of joneseys...

I could quite happily live with this as my only guitar........ Until my workhorse arrives that is..!

homenote

ROCKSTAR INC (T.M)
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Vids and descriptions can only go so far, especially if your travelling far from your beaten path. Your best bet is to get your hands and ears on the guitars your after...guitars vary piece by piece, and real tone and playability can only be guessed atuntil you have the guitar(s) in your hands.

Yes I would agree of course that all guitars(amps too) are different to a degree. However they are also the same to a degree otherwise there would be 0 point to a forum.:laugh2:

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
52RI all the way. Very vintage For one, I don't care for the inlays on the GE Smith and the lack of a bridge plate. The bridge plate is the biggest deal to me. One of the biggest reasons a Tele "twangs". A Tele isn't a Tele without out and I prefer the Brass 3-saddle bridges. Not a huge fan of the 6 individual saddles tone-wise. But that's just my .02c!

Dan

Reaction score
Watch this video, guys. If not for the Tele, at least to listen to a living and very underrated legend:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnQYoRYedF0]YouTube - The G.E. Smith Telecaster®[/ame]

toppsseller

Reaction score
I'm going to throw a little wrench into the mix and mention the '52 Tele Hot Rod is very nice with the same neck, but a modern radius and fret size.

Latest Threads