Telefy your Strat - New TeleStratster set!

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another one off the secret menu! A different kind of Strat set. I get enough requests for this type of set that I decided to work out the kinks and polish up the concept into something effective and classy looking.

People often request an early Blackguard Tele/Esquire bridge pickup in a Strat size format to make their Strat a rock monster. Now, I won't try to fool anyone into thinking that this is identical to a Tele pickup. The spacing and coil shape are slightly different, and that matters. However, a Strat also isn't exactly a Tele so even with a true Tele pickup in there it wouldn't be truly identical. That said, I managed to scrounge up some spools of AWG 43 wire that are a bit on the thin side, regarding the copper core, for that spec and, thanks to those slightly unusual spools, I am able to hand wind the EXACT same turn counts and hand-pattern (well, as exact as hand-winding can be) that I use for my Esquire/Keef bridge pickups and get the resulting coil properties that I want, even on the slightly narrower spacing of the poles.

If that all sounds like a foreign language to you, all you need to know is that, thanks to some unusual wire, on the far end of the tolerance, but still within vintage-correct spec - I am able to make an early Blackguard Tele/Esquire pickup in a Start pickup size more true to the correct original design than has ever been possible before! That is HUGE!

The general specs for the bridge are the following.

AWG 43 plain enamel wire (rare extreme spec, but within vintage correct tolerance)
Hand wound coil (approximately 10.6k Ohms)
.195 wide A3 flat pole magnets
Zinc-plated steel elevator/reflector plate
Black top and bottom forbon
Nitrocellulose lacquer dipped bobbin
White twine wrapped coil
Black wax compound potted
Yellow and black cloth hookup leads
Black rubber material mounting bushings
Vintage-correct slotted stainless steel domed mounting screws

The middle and neck pickups in this set are my stock 1965 Strat pickups. Very true to the original Fender pickups from this period, thanks to data obtained from my repairing probably hundreds of these popular and common singles, as well as my custom spec wire and custom alloy / custom heat/cooling process A5 magnets (same as my popular A5 humbucker bar magnets, just cast/machined into rods).

AWG 42 heavy formvar wire
Machine wound coils
Neck - about 5.9k Ohms / Middle - about 5.6k Ohms
.187 wide A5 chamfered and staggered magnets (same custom alloy/process as my ver. 3 A5 bar magnets)
Black top and gray bottom forbon
Nitrocellulose lacquer dipped bobbin
Clear wax compound vacuum potted
White and black cloth hookup leads
Opaque cream rubber material mounting bushings
Vintage-correct Phillips stainless steel domed mounting screws
(custom date stamping with NOS vintage-correct font stamp available)

The only thing not vintage-correct about these pickups is that the bridge pickup has the magnets charged with the South side up, so that the wire colors can remain correct and in the correct place, with the pickup still being in phase with each other. I do NOT build these to be RWRP / noise cancelling in the 2 and 4 position, by default, but can upon request.

Same as ALL my pickup sets - these run $400/set/unaged.

Cheers! :cheers:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
You still got this one in action, Noah? I know you do a ton of guitar selling/trading, so no sweat if you moved it on. How's it treating you, otherwise?

I've got another one of these in process now, only with a slight twist - this one has a twangy 60's Tele style bridge, with staggered chamfered A5s. ....and clear wax over white twine and a copper elevator plate, accordingly.