Telefunken m80 mic

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I need (want) a new mic. I called up Sweetwater and told my rep why I felt I needed something different and he recommended this to me. I have a shure sm58. He said this would give me more crisp , less muffled vocals given the fact that I basically swallow the mic when I sing. Anyone have any experience? It will be here tomorrow. Should asked this BEFORE I bought it I guess lol.

gitmohair

Reaction score
Stick with the Shure. Everyone knows what they do/how they work, they're consistent and predictable. Especially useful if you've got your own mics but using someone else's PA and all that.

"Should asked this BEFORE I bought it I guess lol" - possibly, but I guess one could have said the same of those strings ;)

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Stick with the Shure. Everyone knows what they do/how they work, they're consistent and predictable. Especially useful if you've got your own mics but using someone else's PA and all that.

"Should asked this BEFORE I bought it I guess lol" - possibly, but I guess one could have said the same of those strings ;)
The strings were recommended...

gitmohair

Reaction score
So was the mic... Just sayin'

Do you know anyone/store who'll lend you one of these mics to test at a gig?

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You were in the Recording Studio and instead of asking the pros here, you let a Sweetwater salesman sell you an unknown (to you) piece of gear? ;)
I doubt you will get 2 1/2 x the value out of it vs an SM58.
They have a good return policy, eh?

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
You were in the Recording Studio and instead of asking the pros here, you let a Sweetwater salesman sell you an unknown (to you) piece of gear? ;)
I doubt you will get 2 1/2 x the value out of it vs an SM58.
They have a good return policy, eh?
Yep.... I probably jumped the gun...

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
The upside is that Thursdays gig will pay for it so if I like it great if it's just meh...I figure I played a gig for it lol.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Often times in some of the larger venues i mix at, I have a large selection of mics I can choose from. Some of the engineers like a Sennheiser 945 for example. It's very crisp and clean. I don't like it. I will almost always choose a 58 for male vox, and certainly not a beta 58. There's a warmth to it, a punch and an easily controlled sibilance....and it just sounds "familiar"....friendly. I don't need a mic that makes controlling sibilance harder like a super crispy 945....in todays digital signal path everything is already crisp and clean enough.....maybe too much! But if you are having clarity issues, as I pointed out a bit of EQ and especially a bit of dynamics processing (compression) will get you where you need to be and that means how the vocal sits in the mix. It's the only way to judge a mic....just speaking into it means nothing.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I recommended those strings, as you already know. Have you ever used those strings? What do you know about them? I've installed them on dozens of guitars with zero complaints and nothing but good feedback. So if you are going to come at me sideways with a "cute" little comment for what I said in his other thread, you ought to first know what you're talking about.

Zacknorton

Banned
Reaction score
there are nearly an infinite number of mics more interesting sounding than an sm57/58.

just drop the 5 and get a shure sm7. far more useful and interesting.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Often times in some of the larger venues i mix at, I have a large selection of mics I can choose from. Some of the engineers like a Sennheiser 945 for example. It's very crisp and clean. I don't like it. I will almost always choose a 58 for male vox, and certainly not a beta 58. There's a warmth to it, a punch and an easily controlled sibilance....and it just sounds "familiar"....friendly. I don't need a mic that makes controlling sibilance harder like a super crispy 945....in todays digital signal path everything is already crisp and clean enough.....maybe too much! But if you are having clarity issues, as I pointed out a bit of EQ and especially a bit of dynamics processing (compression) will get you where you need to be and that means how the vocal sits in the mix. It's the only way to judge a mic....just speaking into it means nothing.
Freddy, you have been extremely helpful to me with various things . I appreciate it. I kind of wish I had waited for responses to this before making the purchase but to be honest, I just wanted a new mic lol. The sm 58 is all dented up... ;-) I am having clarity issues but after reading through this I will assume a good portion of that is my lack of knowledge of mixing. Being a solo guy the vocals REALLY need to stand out. Hmmmm maybe I will start using TWO mics.

gitmohair

Reaction score

LtDave32:​

"I recommended those strings, as you already know. Have you ever used those strings? What do you know about them? I've installed them on dozens of guitars with zero complaints and nothing but good feedback. So if you are going to come at me sideways with a "cute" little comment for what I said in his other thread, you ought to first know what you're talking about."​

I seem to recall specifically saying I've never seen this string brand (unless they're available over here under another name, which I also stated, and which you didn't reply to) and also that it sounded like a duff batch, not that your original advice was questionable. The "cute" comment wasn't a reference to YOUR advice it was a reference to the fact that the OP had one set of issues with untested gear and perhaps it might not be a good idea to test another thing out on his audience (after the duff string issue) till he KNOWS it works for him. This seems to me just to be sensible advice, other people's mileage will vary.

Sorry if I've got you getting your knickers in a twist, but I'm not at all sure what I've done that's upset you? I haven't questioned your advice, merely commented on the (I'm assuming unforeseen) consequences of the OP having followed it having got a duff batch of strings. This happens. As for the "wink of the eye" bit, well, you know sometimes people need to smile. I really haven't intended you or you business any slight or harm, and frankly I don't see that I've done that anyway.

Can we now get back to OhioSteve's thread here and the saga of the mic? OS's threads are the sort of thing that make this site worth visiting. Needless bitching doesn't do anything useful for anyone :/

Last edited:

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Well......... I just plugged both mics into my marshall acoustic amp...... MAYBE.... BIG MAYBE.. there is a slight bit more clarity with the m80 doing no EQ between mics. Like I said before I basically wanted a new mic and my wife commented on my vocals being muffled so that's the excuse I needed . As you guys know from my posts I like to buy stuff.....try bit decide I don't like it then sell it lol..... he'll I have owned the same guitar 4 times. AND if I knew where it was right now I would probably go buy it again.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score

LtDave32:
"I recommended those strings, as you already know. Have you ever used those strings? What do you know about them? I've installed them on dozens of guitars with zero complaints and nothing but good feedback. So if you are going to come at me sideways with a "cute" little comment for what I said in his other thread, you ought to first know what you're talking about."​

I seem to recall specifically saying I've never seen this string brand (unless they're available over here under another name, which I also stated, and which you didn't reply to) and also that it sounded like a duff batch, not that your original advice was questionable. The "cute" comment wasn't a reference to YOUR advice it was a reference to the fact that the OP had one set of issues with untested gear and perhaps it might not be a good idea to test another thing out on his audience (after the duff string issue) till he KNOWS it works for him. This seems like me just to be sensible advice, other people's mileage will vary.

Sorry if I've got you getting your knickers in a twist, but I'm not at all sure what I've done that's upset you? I haven't questioned your advice, merely commented on the (I'm assuming unforeseen) consequences of the OP having followed it having got a duff batch of strings. This happens. As for the "wink of the eye" bit, well, you know sometimes people need to smile. I really haven't intended you or you business any slight or harm, and frankly I don't see that I've done that anyway.

Can we now get back to OhioSteve's thread here and the saga of the mic? OS's threads are the sort of things that make this site worth visiting. Needless bitching doesn't do anything useful for anyone :/
It seems that a lot of people on here including me (maybe especially me) are assuming a dig or an insult is behind every post. Printed media makes it extremely hard to judge intent sometimes. I did not in any way take your post as a dig to Dave. More of a "hey OS, you dumbass quit buying shit without researching it more"

gitmohair

Reaction score
It seems that a lot of people on here including me (maybe especially me) are assuming a dig or an insult is behind every post. Printed media makes it extremely hard to judge intent sometimes. I did not in any way take your post as a dig to Dave. More of a "hey OS, you dumbass quit buying shit without researching it more"

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the cheap end Beyer dynamic mics better than Shures.... especially on a male voice.... Bought a couple on sale when they showed up... SHould have bought a doz or two...

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Ok.... keep in mind this is 100% in my in ears. I went alone to my gig tonight. Grand daughter had a ball game so the wife went to that and I played at an EAGLES that has told me that they do NOT want me to bring a crowd my job is to entertain THEIR crowd. All that to say I had no one to ask if it sounded different out front.
In my ears the difference between the m80 and the sm58 was pretty apparent. Especially on the very bottom of my voice range. An example. There is a song by Hank Jr. Called BLUES MAN and there is a line way low with no music that says I'VE BEEN CUFFED ON DIRT ROADS". It always kind of muffled out and unless you knew the song, I doubt that you could pick out what I was actually saying. Clear as a bell tonight. Also I noticed that when I was setting gain levels the new mic is WAY hotter than the sm58. Say the sm58 was at 11:00... this one was at 7:00. I like it and am glad I bought it. And zero issue with the harmonizer so MAYBE the sm58 has a bad connection somewhere.

dlmorley

Reaction score
The SM58/57 does the job but tbh I think the Telefunken is well worth a go. I haven't used one, but I almost always find something that I prefer over a SM57/8 for the job at hand.

Latest Threads