Telebird/Firecasters

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experiences with Telebird/Firecaster builds? (a firebird with telecaster routing and a bolt-on neck) I remember seeing the on Greg Koch has, and I've had an inkling for a firbird I but they are quite pricey. I thought it might be a cool guitar that's different. Any thoughts? Words of advice?

warprider

Reaction score
Just bought a custom ash FB/tele body but this site has a lame file size limit so I cant post it. Tele bridge route & P90 neck.

I had the step made front & back like a FB would be. The "Studio FB" just dont look right.

The biggest issue with builders is those that make the neck heel that protruds. It's a long body shape already & adding that heel makes a 25.5" scale feel ridiculously long. Unplayable almost. I had mine recessed into the body so the join is about the 16th/17th fret. He did a great job on mine.

My ash body is heavy, but that doesn't bother me. I can always route under the PG.

I'm debating if I want to add the belly carve.

warprider

Reaction score
That's some great work Peter. Thanks for your link.

One of MY "issues" were that of all the providers of this style of body they didn't have the shape I wanted. There was something off/unpleasant to me.

I forgot to mention that I laid a tele neck on my Firebirds to give me an idea as to where the neck join should fall. Peter's 3d image is a great example of this.

warprider

Reaction score
Only thing that I should have requested was the round over on the body. He went a bit too soft for me but I can live with it. The grain is magnificent.

Reaction score
I was planning on using a 24.75 scale length. Do you think that would still make it feel really long?

Thanks for the link, Peter. For some reason, I can't see all of the pictures, which is a bummer.

I want to use the Wilkinson cut-off tele bridge. I'm still trying to figure out what way to go for pickups. I want a single pickup bridge pickup, though I know Firebirds are famous for their neck positions. I'm trying to decide between a mini-humbucker, a normal humbucker, or a P90. I played Jared James Nichols' Old Glory and was blown away how awesome a single P90 sounded. Then I have figure out where to get a body from and what wood I want. I'm thinking of going with a warmouth neck.

warprider

Reaction score
I was planning on using a 24.75 scale length. Do you think that would still make it feel really long?
A Firebird is a 24.75 scale guitar & they already feel long.

I placed the tele neck I want to use on top of my Firebird I so to estimate the exact same length, it's just recessed in a scooch more into the body. The nut is the same place on both.

pshupe

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not sure why those pics disappeared. Here is a shot of the bodies off the CNC with pickguards and back cover plates.
finished_front.JPG

finished back.jpg

Cheers Peter.

Reaction score
Sure - where are you located? I'm in Canada so would rather stay with some non-CITES wood choices. I have a ton of black walnut at the moment.

Cheers Peter.
I live in the Bay Area of California. I was thinking of something like mahogany or korina or even pine. I don't have much if any experience with Walnut as a tonewood.

pshupe

Reaction score
I think walnut is great as a tone wood. Gibson has made them. Rickenbacker has also used walnut. I could easily do Korina as well. It would be a two piece body though as it is very hard to get in large widths. I made a neck through Firebird from black limba and white limba with walnut skunk stripes.
IMG_5829.JPG

Cheers Peter.