Tele pickups

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I might have posted this before. If so I apologize. You guys know the music I play. Country, blues, some southern rock. I am rebuilding a peavey reactor and can't decide what pickups I want to use. I have duncan ssl1s in my strat and really like em. Thought about those. I have basically 4 I am considering. Texas specials...... ssl1s......hot for tele........quarter pounders. I am really clueless. Oh yeah this will have a 4 way switching mod. Any direction?

jb_abides

Reaction score
You didn't say what amp you are running but all of you choices are pretty hot. Of them, I liked the Hot for Tele because they were smoother, and more articulate.

My first decision point is the 'no ice pick' rule but that's personal taste and your ears versus others.

I went with the Custom Shop 51 Nocasters for my latest build.... very warm and lush.

Last edited:

JohnK

Reaction score
I might have posted this before. If so I apologize. You guys know the music I play. Country, blues, some southern rock. I am rebuilding a peavey reactor and can't decide what pickups I want to use. I have duncan ssl1s in my strat and really like em. Thought about those. I have basically 4 I am considering. Texas specials...... ssl1s......hot for tele........quarter pounders. I am really clueless. Oh yeah this will have a 4 way switching mod. Any direction?
I'd avoid the "hot" pickups, and opt for regular vintage style Tele pickups, which lets you control the treble with the tone control. If you get hot pickups, you're stuck with some limited amount of treble forever.

NotScott

Reaction score
My favorite conventional set for a Tele is the Fender CS Nocaster bridge pup and the Fender American Stamdard Hot neck pup. The bridge has the perfect amount of bite and girth. The neck is full and sweet. It sounds a lot like a Strat neck. Together, they will do the Tele quack thing all night long.

If you want noiseless, Go with the Barden Danny Gatton neck and the Modern T bridge. The Modern T bridge is a tad hotter and thicker than the Fender Nocaster but is less compressed and totally noiseless. The Gatton neck is one of my favorite pickups of any type. This set also does the quack thing in the middle position.

You can get the Fender set for under $100 used. The Bardens are pricey, $300 new for the set and they rarely show up used but they are worth it if you want noiseless that sounds like a Tele.

straightblues

Reaction score
If you want vintage-style tones, Don Mare makes the best tele pickups. He has lots of different winds. You can go to his site or youtube and figure out what best fits your style. Based on your criteria, I would suggest the Super Sports, the 0038 (broadcaster) or the Zepotones.

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
Well, the Duncans you mentioned are all vastly different in sound and 'feel'. They are really all over the place as far as EQ and output, so I'd suggest some more research about what you want, what vintage-vs-hotter pickups sound like and feel like, etc. Research is free, and you will come out with something you really like.

Elmore

Reaction score
Most versatile I have used is in my Tele: Gibson mini humbucker in the neck and Duncan vintage stack in the bridge. 500K pots.

Fiesta Red

Reaction score
I took out a set of Lollar Vintage Tele pickups and replaced them with a set of Bootstrap Pretzels. Lots of good reviews over on TDPRI. Sound good to me so far.

BlueCajun

Reaction score
+1 on Cavalier Pickups. Love the Nashville Lion/Lion King set. Another I like a lot is the Fender PV 64 set. Both are fairly inexpensive, too.

MooCheng

Reaction score
never had any complaints with Fenders own No caster sets

KP11520

Reaction score
I used a Peter Florance VooDoo TE-50 for the bridge. Nice coverage for most of what's available. Meaning if you're covering a Tele used in country, rock, blues and so on, it will get you certainly clo0se enough. Sadly, Peter died and I'm not sure you can find any new. Used if not.

Neck pickup is an Analog Man Big T (Lindy Fralin makes them for him) Smooth to Robust and everything in between. Matches the Bridge real well too when both are on. Just make sure you have both heights that shine when solo AND together!

ezra1

Reaction score
+1 on Cavalier Pickups. Love the Nashville Lion/Lion King set. Another I like a lot is the Fender PV 64 set. Both are fairly inexpensive, too.
That is the exact set of Cavalier pups I got.
After installation of them and set up I had a sales guy run up and ask what they were.
He was impressed.
The only other pickups that I like that much is the Fender AVRI 64 Tele.

Mark V Guitars

バナナフライング...
Reaction score
I've been wanting to try Mare's Zep O Tone Graf Live set for the longest time. But not 18 weeks from placing the order. His waiting list can't possibly be that long. Unless he only winds pups 3 hrs a week. :shock:

Latest Threads