Tele GAS project

slapshot

Reaction score
is that an illusion or is the vibrate bridge thicker?

Ace1432

Reaction score
is that an illusion or is the vibrate bridge thicker?

by a hair.

i took some calipers to the fender ashtray and it read .050, the vibramate bridge read .070.

i know what you mean though, the picture makes the vibramate look thick as hell.

Ace1432

Reaction score
Got the Bigsby in. placed it on the vibramate and everything fit perfectly. always good.

hpim2169b.jpg

hpim2171.jpg

hpim2172.jpg

Now; i had been originally planning to slap some vintage style pickups in it. behind the scenes, i had been lining up yet another tele project that was gonna be a clone of a famous tele, but at the last minute i was outbid on the body. The model is pretty rare and i couldnt find anymore on the market, so i decided that the defining trait of the clone tele were the pickups i was gonna wire in it. Im chasing a particular tone right now, so i decided to ditch the vintage p/u idea and im going to be installing some DiMarzios.

Ace1432

Reaction score
what sound/famous Tele are you going for?

well the guy i had bought both my body and neck from had a Jerry Donahue Telecaster for sale. it was on sale, so i asked him to hold it for me till payday; i would gladly pay the sale price for the parted body. the sale ended on the guitar a day later, and someone offered to pay him his full asking price, so he sold it.

Ive really been infatuated with The Black Keys lately, The guitarist Dan Auerbach played a Jerry Donauhue Telecaster w/Dimarzio Choppers on the first 3 albums and extensively live. i love his tele tones. I know alot of people scoff at chasing tone, but im kinda weird in the fact that my playing is affected by my tone. if i can get a sweet tone that i really like, i can rip it up, but if something sounds a bit off to me, i tend to f-up more. :dunno:
danjdtele8.jpg

like i said my white tele was never intended to get DiMarzios, hopefully one day ill get my greedy hands on a jerry Donahue model and ill be able to do it up right, but i wanted some tele tone quick.:cool:

Ace1432

Reaction score
i was expecting the pickups to come in on saturday, but they didnt end up getting here until today. I wouldve loved to have had all weekend to rock this thing, but thats life.

hpim2173.jpg

Like i said, i picked up some DiMarzios. I had my doubts; looking back, i really dont know why, but for some reason i didnt think that these pickups could provide what i wanted. Ive never played a rail/blade pickup before, i was always under the assumption that if you wanted the sweet dripping tele tone, you needed some vintage style metal covered twangers. But my guy Dan Auerbach has some killer tele tones, and from what Ive read they were confirmed to be DiMarzio Choppers. I went to the website and read the description; 'no way...these cannot be what im looking for...' i thought. But I forced myself to get them; worst case i get to have an extra pair of pickups laying around. plus they were a little cheaper than my desired set of vintage wounds.
I pulled them out of the package; holy cow 5 conductor pickups?! what is going on here?! no, it was all good, i had downloaded the wiring diagram so i breezed through it. before i buttoned everything back up, i did a sound test. i tapped on the pickups and heard nothing....then i click on my big muff and i tapped the pickups; this time i can hear it... strange.i double check the instructions; there were 2 extra wires they said to solder together and tape off, i only taped them off, once i soldered them together i got great signal response.
hpim2175f.jpg

after wrestling with stringing my bigsby, i anxiously plugged her in for a JAM.

hpim2177.jpg

hpim2178.jpg

:jam:
:shock:

WOW. these DiMarzios kicked ME IN THE BALLS. "how dare you.how dare you question our ability to TWANG." These pickups had everything i was looking for. When you strum aggressively at full tone, man you dont even need a fuzz pedal, these things BITE. fingerpicking, the pickups are very articulate, the highs are very clear and crisp, yet the lows can be low and boomy.

One of my favorite songs by the black keys is Stack Shot Billy. The TONE in that song alone probably started my tele madness. It drives me crazy how cool it sounds. so naturally after going through a few runs and making noises, i started busting out my fav black keys tunes, and i kid you not i pretty much nailed the tone. Stack Shot Billy was spot on.BELIEVE ME Id love to give you some audio samples, but i dont have any recording software at the moment.
i think im gonna pull out that Jensen cap and just plop in a .022 Orange drop. other than that, this is my DREAM tele. :slash:

rock on, thakns for the comments throughout gents!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVJ-DuRZrik]‪Black Keys - Stack Shot Billy‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Lampens

Reaction score
I'm gassing for a baja tele right now. That's what got me into this thread. That white coupled with that awesome rosewood board is very nice. That vibramate btw. I can't really tell. But does that one go on the body without having it to screw it in to the body anywhere, except for at the strappeg? Does it clamp under the ashtray bridge on the other site or something? If so that might be something for my future tele. :thumb:

Btw. Maybe you know the answer to this. I've noticed those shallow round routing holes on the lower bout. My strat has one of those as well on the lower bout. What are they? Why are those thing in the body. They don't seem to have any function?

On a side note...
Black Keys is ace. Seeing you dig Stack shot Billy as much as me. How do you play stack shot Billy? Do you play it in open G? I discovered a cool way to pick it by holding down the thumb on the 3rd fret low E, instead of what you would play in open G at the downtuned to G A string. Bit of a stretch at some points, but if you're to lazy to tune down it works and almost sounds like it. Only problem with this is that I use slide on my ringfinger and this way I just can't utilize it cause I desperately need the ringfinger for holding down notes.

Ace1432

Reaction score
I'm gassing for a baja tele right now. That's what got me into this thread. That white coupled with that awesome rosewood board is very nice. That vibramate btw. I can't really tell. But does that one go on the body without having it to screw it in to the body anywhere, except for at the strappeg? Does it clamp under the ashtray bridge on the other site or something? If so that might be something for my future tele. :thumb:

Btw. Maybe you know the answer to this. I've noticed those shallow round routing holes on the lower bout. My strat has one of those as well on the lower bout. What are they? Why are those thing in the body. They don't seem to have any function?

On a side note...
Black Keys is ace. Seeing you dig Stack shot Billy as much as me. How do you play stack shot Billy? Do you play it in open G? I discovered a cool way to pick it by holding down the thumb on the 3rd fret low E, instead of what you would play in open G at the downtuned to G A string. Bit of a stretch at some points, but if you're to lazy to tune down it works and almost sounds like it. Only problem with this is that I use slide on my ringfinger and this way I just can't utilize it cause I desperately need the ringfinger for holding down notes.

Yep, the Vibramate only uses the strap button to secure it to your guitar. And as you guessed it, there is a lip built into the bridge that holds it down.
hpim2181f.jpg

those round holes are for weight relief i believe.

i play stack shot billy in DBDGBd most of the time.

OH AND.....

wouldnt ya know that AFTER i finish this project and mod the guitar for DiMarzios; i got my hands on a Jerry donahue tele :rolleyes:

no big deal, ill be broke for another week or two and you guys have to suffer through another of my build threads:slash:

Latest Threads