Tele Electrosocket and Jack question(s).

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I ordered an Electrosocket with the 2 screws and a Switchcraft (of course) Jack from Amazon for $9.99 shipped.

Nice Chrome polish, so I'm happy. But when I screw the jack all the way into the Electrosocket, the jack threads protrude ~3/16" past the bottom of the Electrosockert cup.

I would think the jack should be flush with the bottom of the cup so when inserting the cable plug, it easily finds its way right in?

Should I buy another Switchcraft jack with something like an 1/8" bushing length (threaded tube)(do they even make them?), or use extra nuts and washers to achieve the desired result? It came with a 1/4" bushing length and one washer (no nut).

Am I taking this too far?

Your thoughts on the best (most reliable) way make it so.

Thanks Gang!

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Resized_20161215_224636.jpg
    Resized_20161215_224636.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 344
  • Resized_20161215_224657.jpg
    Resized_20161215_224657.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 349

Paul46

Reaction score
You're not alone, this bugs me too! A nut and a couple of washers will do the trick. When I do this I make sure the last washer is a star/locking one (with the crimped edge). Done this to my two Teles and they've been rock solid.

rusdfh

Reaction score
I don't know about the one u have but have been turning the same thing on a lathe for several years. On the ones I make if the jack doesn't protrude, some jacks will not go in all the way. Back your jack out to flush and try it with some male jacks, yours may have the same problem.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
The reason most people go for the Electrosocket cup is that the protruding longest body length jack allows use of many (not this flat one: http://www.alliedelec.com/switchcra...ji-si4TgfeqM2UTWdj1UTs10p7vZRlhUFCRoC65_w_wcB ) right angled plugs. Rare is any right angle plug that will be happy in a stock Tele socket/jack setup! You can use a shorter jack body and/or washer to make it flush, but that kinda defeats the intention. I really dislike having a straight plug, reinforced with shrink tubing poking downwards out of my guitar! :wow:
Just My $.02,
Gene

Ripthorn

Reaction score
You can just use the nut that came with the jack to serve as a jamb nut. Simply set it roughly where it will make it flush, then screw on the electrosocket nice and tight, using a wrench to keep the nut stationary if need be. A star washer between will also help.

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you Gentlemen!

Nuts and a Star Washer it is! :thumb:

Just making sure there wasn't a better way!

Gene, I use G&H Right Angle plugs. I'll have to pay attention when mounting it. Thanks for the Head's Up! (BTW, I still want your White Lithium Grease and Graphite recipe). :thumb:

gh-gold-b.jpg

ARandall

Reaction score
I think you'll be back to your original setup with a RA plug.

David Collins

Reaction score
If you are using a right angle jack, you won't be able to use it if you set the jack flush with the inner bevel of the electro socket cup. I find it better to get a long threaded jack so it sticks out even further. A long thread switchcraft jack with no washers will leave the end of the jack nearly flush with the body. Function before fashion.

Al Walker

Reaction score
You're overthinking. No one will Ever see a few threads in the Electrosocket. my 2cents.

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using a RA plug isn't really that important to me. So many decades with a straight plug I guess. If so.... Great. If not.... Great!

Thanks Gentlemen. I really appreciate your help and experience! :thumb:

Latest Threads