bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Excellent article,brother....thank you!

chasenblues

Reaction score
Dollar went a long way back then. Millionaires were today's Billionaires.
From another forum talking about the same reverb link.

"There's another Tony Bacon interview with Chet Atkins on that website...Chet revealed that he got 5% royalty for every Gretsch sold that had his name on it.."

I wonder if the 5% added up to more than $1 per-guitar?
(Math isn't my strong suit)

kherman

Reaction score
From another forum talking about the same reverb link.

"There's another Tony Bacon interview with Chet Atkins on that website...Chet revealed that he got 5% royalty for every Gretsch sold that had his name on it.."

I wonder if the 5% added up to more than $1 per-guitar?
(Math isn't my strong suit)
Looking it up on line, a Gretsch Chet in 1960 sold for $425.
So, basically Chet got $21.25 per guitar sold.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looking it up on line, a Gretsch Chet in 1960 sold for $425.
So, basically Chet got $21.25 per guitar sold.
But how many Juniors and Specials were sold? Les got a dollar for each one of those too.

kherman

Reaction score
But how many Juniors and Specials were sold? Les got a dollar for each one of those too.
True. Anything with his name on it. Customs, Standards, Juniors, Specials.
It was interesting to here Ted say it wasn't the SG shape that made Les quit ties with Gibson. But, Les's divorce. Basically, making sure Mary didn't get a penny from royalties.

ToneasaurusRex

Reaction score
. . .it wasn't the SG shape that made Les quit ties with Gibson. But, Les's divorce. Basically, making sure Mary didn't get a penny from royalties.
Ironic because her SG is now one of the most famous and valuable examples of that model.

dissaffected

Reaction score
I find some of the stuff McCarty says to be conflicting. When talking about the woods they came up with for the LP he says all mahog was too soft and all Maple was too shrill. Therefore, that is the explanation for the sandwich. But there was not even any discussion as to why all of a sudden all mahog was OK for the SG or the LP Custom. Hmmm

Platte City Paul

Reaction score
From an on-line dictionary: "pulchritudinous. Even though it looks (and sounds) like it would describe a disease or a bad attitude, pulchritudinous actually describes a person of breathtaking, heartbreaking...beauty. Let's be honest: Your opportunities for using this word in casual conversation are probably pretty slim."

I come here to learn guitar stuff and I walk away with a larger vocabulary. Nice.

One another note, this quote caught my attention: "We did things that the players wanted, as much as anything. They were the ones that came to us."

There's a novel idea, innit? :dunno:

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have read somewhere the reason that all maple bodys were dismissed was the weight issue and that the mahogany back was to lighten up the body and the maple cap to add sustain. And i heard that the maple cap helped in making a smoother finish for the gold paint. Then this was stuff i heard over the years and may hold no truth at all:D

Last edited: