Taylor Guitars and Buck Knives - how long till G tries this crap

Tone deaf

Reaction score
You think the deforestization of the amazon is because of guitar fretboards? :run:

The fact is that the earth has more trees today than it did 35 years ago.
More trees than 200 years ago, too.

rogue3

Reaction score
I bought my 119 100th anniversary Buck Knife in 2002(1902-2002). Ebony handle.for close encounters.its a weapon...and a great bush tool.You can fillet a moose with it.It is Canada after all...no taylors on my radar. But making an arrangement to use scrap ebony seems like a good idea.

Seems to me,these days, a program to manage what is left,is better than no program at all...willy nilly cut everything.everyone wants to make money, you are not going to stop that.measured conservation is what we have left.in an imperfect world.

Last edited:

toymaker

Reaction score
Again - I have no issue with Buck and their quality overall. They make some nice knives - they also market some Asian made crap under their name...but thats anyone - they are far from the first knife maker to do this.

And I have no issues with using scraps. I do take issue when you make it something its not. Those scraps cost pennies - yet Buck sells them for $$$...using the whole story of "partnering" with Taylor.

No different than G and the BRW models I guess.. take a $85 fretboard, put it in a 4k guitar and you get a 11k guitar somehow.

Take a flawed piece of ebony - toss it on a $130 knife...you get a $400 knife somehow.

110 is a nice knife - just big to me. I prefer my 112 auto elite that I always keep handy. My pocket knife of choice is a 303 Stockman. I have several 110s/112s and a few others - but the 112 auto elite and 303 are my users of choice.

redking

Reaction score
Looks like Taylor Guitars has just been sold. It's new owners are the employees.

Class

I'm sure Bob and the other two guys are considered "employees" under the new plan as well (this is just another way of selling your company and monetizing its value) - this can be a good way to building a lasting company if done right. I would guess they started with selling 20 - 30% of the stock to the employees by guaranteeing bank loans for them to buy the shares and pay them off with the dividends. (I used to administer my employer's ESOP a number of years ago) The mistake my predecessors made was valuing the company too high too early and the dividends didn't have enough juice to pay the loan payments - hope Taylor doesn't run into this problem.

Last edited:

redking

Reaction score
I like the stuff that Taylor has done for reducing the waste of ebony in Africa due to the previous practice of just trashing any trees that weren't "pure" black on the inside simply because of the preference for color by some big guitar manufacturers.

DotStudio

Reaction score
The partnership has been in place for two years now. Why are we complaining about it now?

Dolebludger

Reaction score
As a side note I have a Michael Kelly Tele that has a striped ebony veneer top, and it is a beauty! Without Bob Taylor’s efforts to harvest striped ebony instead of letting it rot in the field, that Tele wouldn’t have that top, which I really like. This guitar was no more expensive than other guitars of that brand with other tops. You see, the loggers can’t tell is a tree’s ebony wood will be black or striped until the tree is cut down. In the past striped trees were just left to rot..

Most deforestation is not due to guitar building. It is due to local desire for more farm land. Ironically the soil in former forests is very poor for crops.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Buck 110 (left center) is an older knife that had an auto conversion some years ago.

It's a beautiful knife that I'd buy more of if I could get them as pretty as that. The one on the far left is a newer 110 auto that is pretty much how they all look anymore. Plain jane...

I'm a sucker for pretty scales on a knife. I'd buy more Buck knives if they start getting pretty cut-offs from Taylor. :)

20190515_122035.jpg

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah...it's kind of like on old man blaming his balding scalp on having too many haircuts in his lifetime
So being in the military did this to me????

Dammit!

Latest Threads