Taylor Guitars and Buck Knives - how long till G tries this crap

toymaker

Reaction score
So to those unaware - Taylor Guitars has an "exclusive" partnership with Buck Knives in that they "share" a supply of exotic woods like Cocobola and Ebony.

Basically Taylor takes the good stuff, giving Buck the crap and scraps to make handles. I mean in theory it sounds good right...reality - the slabs of wood needed to build quality guitars are much larger than what's needed for a folding pocket knife handle. Just charging for scraps in my opinion and calling it "sustainability"

Seriously - how long till G tries to cash in on this cash cow...call up someone like Case, sell them a few scraps and sell exclusive limited edition knives with a COA booklet and leather box for $999 or some stupid price.

I mean Buck makes a nice knife, and they are relatively affordable. But the "custom shop" stuff is just fluff...and it won't be long till those $185 knives start carrying mid 3 figure prices im afraid. Supply and demand - I hold a few, but this stuff isn't going to dissappear in our lifetime, at least not the material for knifemaking. Ebony/Rosewood/ect may get scarcer...but its not Ivory. Its not like the last trees are in danger - nor will small bits be unavailable.

I thought about doing a blade in BRW - but just not a fan with more exotic and prettier materials available. Snakewood for example looks nice. Rosewood is hard to find with that detailed of figuring in small pieces.

sonar1

Reaction score
Taylor sells a LOT of ebony to other companies.
The whole “streaked” ebony thing allowed them to use lots of less than perfectly black ebony.
Also lightened the load on their Cameroon associates.

F7A903AB-FABF-4402-B9B4-990C5F65F919.jpeg

Last edited:

sonar1

Reaction score
Man, I'm on maybe my 4th 110. The first was 45 years ago. Fairly inexpensive, and badass.
My youngest gave me an ebony 110 for Father’s day.*

I carried a Wrangler (300 series big stockman pattern) for many year on the job. Went through a couple.
Sometimes guys rag on Buck knives. I like ‘em fine.

22BB5B6F-AFB9-4B09-ADDE-851D50D13502.jpeg

:rofl:
:rofl:

Last edited:

electric head

Just passing thru
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I'm on maybe my 4th 110. The first was 45 years ago. Fairly inexpensive, and badass.
Got my first one in 74 when I was 15 and started my first real job at a produce stand..

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I have a Bucklite 422 (plastic grips) that I have had for at least 25 years and I use it daily. There is something about the shape of the blade (and perhaps the quality of the steel and the edge I put on it) that makes it slice through virtually anything with ease. I'm not sure I want an acoustic with a plastic fingerboard.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 4 of 'em. 2 autos and 2 manual. Great knives :)

jvin248

Reaction score

I really liked Taylor guitars ... until I found out they bought that ebony/rosewood mill to ensure they had lumber supplies.

Wrong answer. The only thing about "managed forests" is that they manage to put money in someone's pocket for stripping the fragile ecosystems. They need to be working toward local fast growing wood species instead. The guitar industry is approaching three million new guitars built every year -- a huge impact. Players 'who can hear a difference' should 'play just a little bit better' and get over it like turtle shell, ivory inlays, and other exotic materials we've been able to shed from instrument building over the last century.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

I really liked Taylor guitars ... until I found out they bought that ebony/rosewood mill to ensure they had lumber supplies.

Wrong answer. The only thing about "managed forests" is that they manage to put money in someone's pocket for stripping the fragile ecosystems. They need to be working toward local fast growing wood species instead. The guitar industry is approaching three million new guitars built every year -- a huge impact. Players 'who can hear a difference' should 'play just a little bit better' and get over it like turtle shell, ivory inlays, and other exotic materials we've been able to shed from instrument building over the last century.

You think the deforestization of the amazon is because of guitar fretboards? :run:

The fact is that the earth has more trees today than it did 35 years ago.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Idk about knives, but how long before we see a G-line of motorcycles?

:hmm:

Reactions: FLH

sonar1

Reaction score
You think the deforestization of the amazon is because of guitar fretboards? :run:

The fact is that the earth has more trees today than it did 35 years ago.
Acoustic Guitar magazine had a roundtable discussion about wood years ago. Richard Hoover (Santa Cruz Guitar Company) -responding to a statement about diminishing Sitka spruce supplies- said, “Y’know what most Sitka spruce goes for? Paper towels!”

Latest Threads