Taylor GS Mini

Lurko

Reaction score
I own a Taylor GA3, which I love to death. I wanted to get my dad a Taylor for his birthday, as he's getting pretty good on guitar and needs something better than the crappy $100 Ibanez he currently plays.

The GS Mini seemed to be a good size for him (small, easy to fret), and I've got to tell you, that little guitar sounds and plays amazingly! I'm giving it to him tomorrow, but I can't put the thing down in the meantime. Seriously, it sounds as good as the GA.

Any of you own one?

dcmey

Reaction score
I played one at GC a while back and loved it. It's a nice little guitar that plays great and sounds great. A couple of things that I didn't like were the wood was HPL, no pickup, and made in Mexico.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
Taylor is the only name to consider in acoustic guitars as far as I'm concerned. Sure beats Martin.

I think the Mini's are fantastic guitars and you can get the ES Go pickup put in there for electric hookup.

dcmey

Reaction score
Taylor is the only name to consider in acoustic guitars as far as I'm concerned. Sure beats Martin.

I think the Mini's are fantastic guitars and you can get the ES Go pickup put in there for electric hookup.

I picked Martin over Taylor. The Taylor's that I have played were nice but the Martin I bought blows Taylor's comparable guitar away IMO. I did like mini but your paying $500 plus the cost of the pickup, plus I would want a hard case not gig bag it comes with. So for close to $700 for a made in Mexico guitar, my decision was if I am going to spend that much money I want made in the USA.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
I picked Martin over Taylor. The Taylor's that I have played were nice but the Martin I bought blows Taylor's comparable guitar away IMO. I did like mini but your paying $500 plus the cost of the pickup, plus I would want a hard case not gig bag it comes with. So for close to $700 for a made in Mexico guitar, my decision was if I am going to spend that much money I want made in the USA.

The reason I like Taylor is because of their brightness. Martins are very deep sounding acoustics and very Bluegrass/Country oriented, both of which I cannot stand (sorry Country fans) but the Taylor has a real Jangly Bright Beatlesesque tone to it and is very bright, which acoustics should be IMO. I'm a rock and roll guy to the extreme and I like that bright jangly midrangey tone. I want an acoustic that is perfect mid-to-top, with less focus on the bass. When I try out an acoustic in the store, I hit that opening chord to "A Hard Days Night" by the Beatles and that is my first test to see if it's bright and jangly and no bass. Martin's are just too deep and bassy for me and IMO are harder to play. All of the ones I have played weren't that great in the neck department. I love Taylor's neck design and the cutaway. Just my style.

Lurko

Reaction score
I played a baby Martin (or whatever it's called) in comparison when I was shopping, and it felt and sounded like a toy guitar compared to the GS Mini. Not indicative of all Martins, obviously, but in this case in a head-to-head matchup it wasn't even close.

My dad was blown away and loves the guitar btw. :D:dude:

dcmey

Reaction score
I played a baby Martin (or whatever it's called) in comparison when I was shopping, and it felt and sounded like a toy guitar compared to the GS Mini. Not indicative of all Martins, obviously, but in this case in a head-to-head matchup it wasn't even close.

My dad was blown away and loves the guitar btw. :D:dude:

When the GS mini is compared to other minis, your right it isn't close.

Latest Threads