Taylor Big baby and Taylor GS Mini?

Jendrix

Reaction score
Hi guys, some of you might remember me from my martin thread

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/my-other-guitars/168502-buying-martin-acoustic-my-first.html

But i've decided on buying a taylor instead, hehe. Thanks for all your input guys but i realized i liked the taylor sound better (Sorry to all the Martin Boys out there)

Right now i have made a conclusion between the Taylor big baby and the Taylor GS Mini.

Other than the shape of the guitar, one being a small sized dreadnought and the other being a GS. And that the GS is electronics compatible. What's the real difference between these two here? And which is the more recommended one?

Iceman0124

Reaction score
You really need to go out and play as many as you can...acoustics are even harder to buy blind IMO than high end electrics.

Why dont want a full size? If your after a long term keeper, inexpensive acoustic I would look at the Carvin Cobalts,

Carvin.com - Cobalt Acoustic Guitars

I've got my eye on a C350S, $369 including HSC...very hard to beat. Seagull is another make worth looking into.

There are much better guitars in the price range of the entry martins and taylors....as for "the Taylor" sound...how are you basing that? Unless you have actually spent quality time with several examples of the particular model in a room you can actually hear everything...Taylor makes guitars that have a broad range of sounds, and even the same make and model can vary pretty signficantly, wood is not a static material, and each piece, even if cut from the same tree can have vastly different tonal qualities.

Jendrix

Reaction score
Well personally I'd like an acoustic i can bring on the go, so there won't be any hassle with bringing it on a plane. Hopefully. Well hard to say wish i could try each and everyone of the acoustic but my local guitar shop doesn't have any taylor or martin, just some cheap knock off brands unfortunately.

This being the case, i can only hear what difference is there through the internet and try to get one from the net itself.

I'm basing the taylor sound by it's nice high treble with rich mids, unlike most martins which have a very deep bassy thump everytime you strum (Heard it from most martins on youtube)

But given that quality of both Taylor guitars are the same, which would you get?
And which one of the two do people usually associated with?

GUYS OPINIONS?:shock:

You really need to go out and play as many as you can...acoustics are even harder to buy blind IMO than high end electrics.

Why dont want a full size? If your after a long term keeper, inexpensive acoustic I would look at the Carvin Cobalts,

Carvin.com - Cobalt Acoustic Guitars

I've got my eye on a C350S, $369 including HSC...very hard to beat. Seagull is another make worth looking into.

There are much better guitars in the price range of the entry martins and taylors....as for "the Taylor" sound...how are you basing that? Unless you have actually spent quality time with several examples of the particular model in a room you can actually hear everything...Taylor makes guitars that have a broad range of sounds, and even the same make and model can vary pretty signficantly, wood is not a static material, and each piece, even if cut from the same tree can have vastly different tonal qualities.

jfwund

Reaction score
Do you want to strum more or fingerpick more? When you play it with others, will you be amplified or not? The easy answer is to say go play them, but that's not an option for you. I like both, but I'd probably go with the Big Baby for its fuller sound (bigger, dreadnought shape).
I'd also recommend a 114, which is just a little above your price range, but is a tonal middle ground between a dreadnought and a GS...
Good luck!

Jendrix

Reaction score
Do you want to strum more or fingerpick more? When you play it with others, will you be amplified or not? The easy answer is to say go play them, but that's not an option for you. I like both, but I'd probably go with the Big Baby for its fuller sound (bigger, dreadnought shape).
I'd also recommend a 114, which is just a little above your price range, but is a tonal middle ground between a dreadnought and a GS...
Good luck!

Sorry to leave that out, i'm more into strumming. Suggestions?

jfwund

Reaction score
Dreadnought for strumming will be fuller sounding. I'd say of those two, go Big Baby.

Jendrix

Reaction score
Okay that's a +1 to the Baby. Anyone else, your opinions?

rockguitar41

Reaction score
i own a Big Baby acoustic. It's decent. Action is a little high, there's a little too much string buzz and the frets seem a little sharp. It sounds amazing though, very crisp and clear, and its a very light guitar. Easily transported anywhere. A great guitar for someone looking to buy an intermediate level acoustic.

studio1087

Reaction score
I have both guitars.

Buy the Big Baby......you can buy them minty used for $295 or new for $449 n

The Big Baby is 7/8 scale. It's almost a dread. Lots of bass and feels like a real guitar when you hold it.

The GS is beautiful but it's like holding a parlor guitar. I love Parlors and own a couple but I wouldn't want a mini as a main guitar.

The GS prefers plucky finger style playing....it's pretty. The Big Baby likes strumming.

b3john

Reaction score
I love my Baby Taylor. Great projection for a small-scale guitar. Love the size, mine has been in overhead bins across the US of A and the Caribbean. I meant to buy the custom hardshell case from Taylor for this guitar, but the gigbag has been just fine so far. (Knock on wood! :fingersx:)

I originally bought it for my son to learn on, but when he outgrew it I took it back. I play it all the time just sitting in the kitchen or whatever.

Remember that every guitar is different. Play a bunch of them and decide which one speaks to you, then buy that one.

1977custom

Reaction score
gs mini! I couldnt put that down. Loved the feel of it. The baby taylors have tuning issues and those screws up the 12th fret kinda dont feel the best. I was moments away from buying the gs mini when something in the vintage section caught my eye.......
But yeah man them lil gs minis are great soundwise. The one i played sounded better than the 110. Maybe Ill pick one up 2nd hand sometime.

ctkarslake

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the GS Mini has a more modern design/bracing etc that the Big Baby does not (they have been around for 15 years or so). The Big Babies have gotten decent reviews over the years but not like the raves from the Mini folks when it first came out. I can't say, never have played either. There is talk of a all mahogany Mini this year, something to beef up the lower registers, so keep that in mind. Babies came all mahogany as well. Both probably lacked in bass and Taylor made obvious changes to address the issue. Enjoy your search!

Latest Threads