Taylor 214ce...but long for Martin

Shades of Blue

Reaction score
Well I did it again...I let the allure of Taylor sweep me off my feet, but now I wish I had saved for a Martin.

I originally had a Martin D-1. Sounded great, but I absolutely hated the Stratabond neck. So, I sold it and intended to save for a Martin D-16. Somewhere along the way, I saw a gorgeous Taylor 214ce and it played and sounded awesome and I slipped up and bought it.

Don't get me wrong, the Taylor is a fabulous instrument, and the fact that it is acoustic-electric is a plus, but I'm still longing for a Martin D-16 or similar.

I just don't know if I should try and sell the Taylor, or just keep it and be happy.

teame1

Reaction score
Based on your having made the effort to post this question and what you have written,
I would surmise the Taylor was a momentry GAS purchase.
I would sell the Taylor and put the cash towards the Martin and/or a good acoustic pickup.

Shades of Blue

Reaction score
Based on your having made the effort to post this question and what you have written,
I would surmise the Taylor was a momentry GAS purchase.
I would sell the Taylor and put the cash towards the Martin and/or a good acoustic pickup.

Yeah that is basically the story.

I was beginning to get involved in the music program at my church at that time and kind of "panicked" because I didn't have a "worthy" acoustic guitar.

The Martin D-16RGT's are $1199 at Sweetwater, and I think I can get about $750-850 for my taylor, so I may go that route.

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
Well I did it again...I let the allure of Taylor sweep me off my feet, but now I wish I had saved for a Martin.

I originally had a Martin D-1. Sounded great, but I absolutely hated the Stratabond neck. So, I sold it and intended to save for a Martin D-16. Somewhere along the way, I saw a gorgeous Taylor 214ce and it played and sounded awesome and I slipped up and bought it.

Don't get me wrong, the Taylor is a fabulous instrument, and the fact that it is acoustic-electric is a plus, but I'm still longing for a Martin D-16 or similar.

I just don't know if I should try and sell the Taylor, or just keep it and be happy.

You've got Harley Davidson Syndrome... I own a harley.. and that cured me of halrey davidson syndrome... next bike.. Triumph

I grew up in PA and EVERYONE here thinks that gold farts eminate from the smokestacks at the Martin plant in Nazareth...

I worked at BCR... and worked on Martins.... that cured me of Martin syndrome...

I got one on my bench now.. finickey bastid.. i hate the thing.... everytime it shows up for a re-string and setup.. i hate it worse.... and I hate HEARING about how great it is.....(plus the fact that the customer bought a low grade martin and now thinks he has a ferrari that should shit tiffany cuflinks and make angels cry when he strums it becasue it says martin on the headstock.... even though he covered HALF THE GUITAR with a pickguard....... :shock: )

Shades of Blue

Reaction score
You've got Harley Davidson Syndrome... I own a harley.. and that cured me of halrey davidson syndrome... next bike.. Triumph

I grew up in PA and EVERYONE here thinks that gold farts eminate from the smokestacks at the Martin plant in Nazareth...

I worked at BCR... and worked on Martins.... that cured me of Martin syndrome...

I got one on my bench now.. finickey bastid.. i hate the thing.... everytime it shows up for a re-string and setup.. i hate it worse.... and I hate HEARING about how great it is.....(plus the fact that the customer bought a low grade martin and now thinks he has a ferrari that should shit tiffany cuflinks and make angels cry when he strums it becasue it says martin on the headstock.... even though he covered HALF THE GUITAR with a pickguard....... :shock: )

Very interesting point of view! That was very insightful!

Yeah, I really dig the Taylor for everything but sound...too bright. I love the boominess of a Martin.

Latest Threads