Tatooine Discovered!

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
NASA Spacecraft Discovers Planet Orbiting 2 Suns, Just Like Star Wars « CBS San Francisco

MOUNTAIN VIEW (CBS SF) – The National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s Kepler spacecraft has found a planet that orbits two stars just as Luke Skywalker’s home world does in the Star Wars movies, NASA announced Thursday.

An orange sun and a red sun that actually orbit each other define daytime on Kepler 16b, the 21st planet outside our own solar system discovered by planet hunter.

The resemblance between the newest exo-planet and the fantasy world Tatooine envisioned by George Lucas ends on the horizon, said scientists at the NASA Ames Research Center in Mountain View.

Kepler 16b is a cold, gaseous planet similar to Saturn.

“We don’t expect Luke Skywalker, or anything else, to be living on Kepler 16b,” said Nick Gautier, project scientist for the Kepler project.

Still, the theme music that played during the iconic film moment when Luke Skywalker gazes at two setting suns played as NASA revealed the discovery Thursday.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
“We don’t expect Luke Skywalker, or anything else, to be living on Kepler 16b,” said Nick Gautier, project scientist for the Kepler project.

The fool! He should damn well expect Fezzi Wan Kenobi!

fezziwankenobi.jpg

Mule Train

Reaction score
This is just outta sight man. I love space, there's allot between my ears!!:slash:

Robinv

Reaction score
Yeah I read though that the temperature there is -90 to -40 Celcius, no clue how much that is in american degrees, So it can't sustain (carbon based) life :)

bertzie

Reaction score
Of course not. Star Wars was a long long time ago, in a galaxy far away. The tatooine that was is long since gone.

Latest Threads