Talk Me off the Ledge

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, time for an update. I can't believe that I bought one online without playing it, but I can easily return it if it's not a match made in heaven. I found it on Reverb but I'm so glad I called the shop directly to talk about it. They offered me $250 off which I wouldn't have even known was an option buying through Reverb (or any of the other retailers, I'm sure). When I showed it to my son he loved it too and was emphatic that it was the one.

Surprisingly, it's an unburst. I just kept coming back to it like I did the first one that I lost out on. I ended up putting it on layaway so it's not in-hand today. I mentioned in an earlier post that I'm out of room so this weekend I'm working on rearranging the office/studio. Using layaway allowed me to ensure it doesn't get sold out from under me while I get its new home ready.

I think I'm going to get rid of the drum throne I got. The arms on the office chair suck sometimes but it's so much easier to sit right in front of the keyboard when I'm playing/recording. I also need to find another rack or buy a bigger one. Right now I've got a 5-guitar rack that's full and a single stand. I have a number of other singles I can use as well until I find a final solution. I'm literally sandwiched in by two Marshalls on either side of my chair. One corner has my Blues Jr and Stage Right stacked on each other with a Mesa bass amp/Ampeg cab in the other. I've got to get where I can actually move around.

Here's a pic to whet your appetite. Thanks again for all the conversation around this.

front-straight.jpeg

pondcaster

Reaction score
Ok guys, time for an update. I can't believe that I bought one online without playing it, but I can easily return it if it's not a match made in heaven. I found it on Reverb but I'm so glad I called the shop directly to talk about it. They offered me $250 off which I wouldn't have even known was an option buying through Reverb (or any of the other retailers, I'm sure). When I showed it to my son he loved it too and was emphatic that it was the one.

Surprisingly, it's an unburst. I just kept coming back to it like I did the first one that I lost out on. I ended up putting it on layaway so it's not in-hand today. I mentioned in an earlier post that I'm out of room so this weekend I'm working on rearranging the office/studio. Using layaway allowed me to ensure it doesn't get sold out from under me while I get its new home ready.

I think I'm going to get rid of the drum throne I got. The arms on the office chair suck sometimes but it's so much easier to sit right in front of the keyboard when I'm playing/recording. I also need to find another rack or buy a bigger one. Right now I've got a 5-guitar rack that's full and a single stand. I have a number of other singles I can use as well until I find a final solution. I'm literally sandwiched in by two Marshalls on either side of my chair. One corner has my Blues Jr and Stage Right stacked on each other with a Mesa bass amp/Ampeg cab in the other. I've got to get where I can actually move around.

Here's a pic to whet your appetite. Thanks again for all the conversation around this.

View attachment 527841
Beauty of the Unburst.

Congratulations!

rogue3

Reaction score
As some of you know from another thread, playing guitar has been hard for me since last year due to arthritis. In November, though, I couldn't resist the '59 Epi Les Paul. I love it, but there are definitely some hand positions that either hurt or I can't do at all. I think I really need a slim neck which is why I still find it easier to play my Strat.

Alas, I also have a problem. This year I've picked up a G&L tele, and an Epi ES-339. Today I stopped at Guitar Center since I saw they had a Standard 60s. OMG. It played like a dream. Could it really be that vastly different? I've got the money. But I'm a hack guitarist at best and I'm having a hard time justifying dropping $2500 on a guitar, even with an added bonus coming from work. But it just felt so good.

I suppose I could see what the 60s Epi is like, but I'm really jonesing for a legit Gibson.

View attachment 526615

View attachment 526616

If it plays so nice,as to make your arthritis discomfort disappear, it would seem to me to be a no brainer.So,just jump.

Last edited:

Wise Guy

Reaction score
I purchased one of each Standard 60's in bourbon burst and they're vastly different in every way. Not really comparable. The Epi needed a ton of work out of the box to make it playable and it still isn't inspiring to play for some reason...

Attachments

dasherf17

Reaction score
As some of you know from another thread, playing guitar has been hard for me since last year due to arthritis. In November, though, I couldn't resist the '59 Epi Les Paul. I love it, but there are definitely some hand positions that either hurt or I can't do at all. I think I really need a slim neck which is why I still find it easier to play my Strat.

Alas, I also have a problem. This year I've picked up a G&L tele, and an Epi ES-339. Today I stopped at Guitar Center since I saw they had a Standard 60s. OMG. It played like a dream. Could it really be that vastly different? I've got the money. But I'm a hack guitarist at best and I'm having a hard time justifying dropping $2500 on a guitar, even with an added bonus coming from work. But it just felt so good.

I suppose I could see what the 60s Epi is like, but I'm really jonesing for a legit Gibson.

View attachment 526615

View attachment 526616

View attachment 526615

View attachment 526616
As a "hack", myself, I always dream/live big when it comes to my guitars...I hope by now you got the '60...you'll only be more satisfied with life having the real thing.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
I always replace the pickups, nut and switches on my gigging Epi’s. They stay in tune and sound a lot better but still can’t compare to the real thing. Not even close.
Yeah I ended up installing Dimarzio's in it but I think I'm going to go ahead and sell to someone that may actually use it. It doesn't do it for me unfortunately.

DaveSG

Reaction score
Congrats man. That is a beautiful guitar...very natural looking, and I'm loving the healthy dose of mineral streaks. Let us know when you get it so we can all enjoy it along with you - I'm really hoping it works out well for you. My LP Standard 50s (in my avatar) was bought without playing first, and I don't know if I've ever held a better Gibson as a package deal (looks, playability, sound).

Latest Threads