Talk Me off the Ledge

DaveSG

Reaction score
Can you call them? Can you email them the pictures that you took and ask if they have that guitar, to put it on hold for you?

If it already sold, fear not. Try out a few more and you may find another that gives you the same wonderful feeling you got when you picked up the first one.

But...if it is still there, don't hesitate. Gotta act!

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You make a good point, @PauloQS. That's a good idea, too, @DaveSG. I'll try to call in the morning when they open.

@DBDM, I don't know that I play anything. I'd like to say I'm closest to Texas Blues but it'd be a stretch to say that anything I play falls into any category. I've been trying to "be a guitarist" since high school, and I'm not there yet. I did take a long hiatus and only recently started taking lessons again. I recently wrapped up a course that was a lot of fun and covered multiple genres, though, and I had some fun playing more metal type stuff. I'm comfortable with the realization that I'll be a slow rhythm player at best. My fingers don't move fast and I can't speed pick. I'm more of a chord strummer. Is that a genre? So there's a long way of saying I'd lean towards bluesy sounds with the ability to get a little dirty.

I should know the "act fast" mantra. I've lost out on too many things too many times because I hesitated.

Ok, I just have to share this because I think the playing is stellar. And I want the guitar. :)

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Can you call them? Can you email them the pictures that you took and ask if they have that guitar, to put it on hold for you?

If it already sold, fear not. Try out a few more and you may find another that gives you the same wonderful feeling you got when you picked up the first one.

But...if it is still there, don't hesitate. Gotta act!
Gonna agree with that, I played a handful of standard 60’s and no two were alike. If you find one that really speaks to you, I’d go for it.
But, even though each one was different, each was great in it’s own way, and had special qualities, so if this one gets sold, I wouldn’t worry. I’m sure you’ll find another great one with some searching around and running the racks.

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about your disability, but, why don't you try collecting? Play that Strat you have but you'll still get a lot of joy from collecting vintage guitars! And I don't mean priceless Gibsons nobody can afford, but other brands like Kay, some D'Angelicos and some other lesser known brands.

Sure, people at the pawn shop and other places will charge you a Corvette and the spare tire for one guitar, but, if you like to drive, you can get to some small town where folks will still offer you an honest deal for their instruments. I know, I've done just that.

But keep in mind that when I say "small town" I mean SMALL TOWN, not just a lesser known town.

I got a lot of how out of collecting, even feeling those old things in my hands. Sometimes, you gotta make lemonade out of life's lemons!

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Yeah if you can splurge without it hurting the ol grocery bill or whatever go for it -playing god guitars is fun even when you are a hack! believe me I know. :D :rofl:
Meant good guitars not god guitars cant afford those...

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
More compelling arguments.

@TeleDog, the short of it is that my left index finger is the size of a hot dog while my other fingers are normal. The inflammation is such that I can't bend the finger 90 deg. I like the idea of collecting. I just need to find room. I'd really like to downsize the furniture in my home office since most of it is unused. It'd be nice to have wall space to hang guitars from.

@lpfan1980, "god" guitars made sense to me. :p I just read your sig. Great outlook.

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Brother, you don't need to have a lot of space to collect instruments!

Do you have a storage unit, a spare room, even a bathroom you don't use? Lots of people, including celebs, collect and keep their instruments inside the case! As long as it doesn't rain or snow inside your storage space, chances are you'll be alright if you can, say, have access to and "occupy" that storage space year round!

There's a lot of joy that comes out of collecting, specially if you're a guitar player who knows a thing or two about the instruments you buy!

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If only I could get into the spare bedroom. It seems to be overrun with decorations, gift wrap, and other wife things. :( You've given me something to think about, though. I've been trying to learn more about the history around the guitars I love.

Del Rei

Reaction score
@JaxLPGuy
Hey, man. Sorry to hear about your pain when playing. :(

About the guitar... I have a LP 60 Slim and a LP 58.
They’re completely different. When I play only the 58 a long time (days, weeks), when I get the 60 Slim it feels like I’m playing with some Japanese sticks.
And when I play only the 60 Slim and than get the 58 it feels like a tree trunk.

I love both. But definitely if you feel no pain (or almost no pain) with the 60, I think you should get it YESTERDAY. Even if you should sell your actual guitar (if you can keep, great).

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, gents, I'll give you one guess what wasn't there when I went back today. Procrastination, you're a cold, heartless mistress. You think I'd have learned by now. I walked in, saw the empty spot, and my heart sank. They had another 60 I played for a bit but I just didn't feel it. Lesson learned.

I appreciate everyone's input and rest assured, everyone will know when I fulfill my quest. In the interim, this came in the mail today to cheer me up.

beauty-of-the-burst.jpg

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Well, gents, I'll give you one guess what wasn't there when I went back today. Procrastination, you're a cold, heartless mistress. You think I'd have learned by now. I walked in, saw the empty spot, and my heart sank. They had another 60 I played for a bit but I just didn't feel it. Lesson learned.

I appreciate everyone's input and rest assured, everyone will know when I fulfill my quest. In the interim, this came in the mail today to cheer me up.

View attachment 527253
Sorry to hear that it’s gone. I’m sure another good one will pop up.
Luckily, every time I think I missed out on an amazing guitar, eventually another good one goes up for sale. There will always be more gear.

Now that you know what you’re looking for and what you like. Keep an eye out for any Les Pauls with that 60’s neck, and when you play one that speaks to you again like the last one, go for it.

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right on, brother. They're flying like hotcakes. I reached out to Sam Ash about one a BAM! it was gone.

integra evan

Reaction score
Yeah ya pretty much gotta get em fresh off the press. If you wait, they gonna go

DaveSG

Reaction score
You'll find another that will speak to you.

80smetalhead

Reaction score
I have a couple of Epiphone’s that I use in my ‘80’s band when we play in shadier clubs. I play my Gibson Les Paul Standard or even my R9 when we play at better clubs.
Do you see what I did here? :dude:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I saw this post to late... I was going to tell you that if you found the one that felt great you should get it, because they all can actually feel a bit different than one another even the same guitar model. This is both the beauty and the curse of the Gibson Les Paul. Even the Re-Issues of the famous Les Paul's are not exact.

Good Luck finding the right one.

Last edited:

NiteGoat

Reaction score
As some of you know from another thread, playing guitar has been hard for me since last year due to arthritis. In November, though, I couldn't resist the '59 Epi Les Paul. I love it, but there are definitely some hand positions that either hurt or I can't do at all. I think I really need a slim neck which is why I still find it easier to play my Strat.

Alas, I also have a problem. This year I've picked up a G&L tele, and an Epi ES-339. Today I stopped at Guitar Center since I saw they had a Standard 60s. OMG. It played like a dream. Could it really be that vastly different? I've got the money. But I'm a hack guitarist at best and I'm having a hard time justifying dropping $2500 on a guitar, even with an added bonus coming from work. But it just felt so good.

I suppose I could see what the 60s Epi is like, but I'm really jonesing for a legit Gibson.

View attachment 526615

View attachment 526616
Just buy the Gibson. If you don’t, it will haunt you for the rest of your life. It doesn’t matter how well you play; it matters how well your guitar plays. The better it plays, the more you’ll play it, and the better you’ll get. You can’t take your money with you, and you earned it. So enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Last edited:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I hear ya. I honestly do think I'll play more. I can only get about 30 min in on the 59 and I usually pay for it the next day.

And I'm at the point in my life where I can afford it and not worry about WTH were you thinking?? Well, my wife will still say that, but that's another story.

This is where these finishes confuse me. This is listed at Reverb as an iced tea, but to my eyes it looks like what GC had marked as bourbon.

And Sam Ash lists this as an unburst but I'd think it's more iced tea.

I guess I should worry less about the name applied to it and focus on the look I want.
Exactly!
But more important is how the guitar feels. Especially with your "condition".
I've bought a used 1992 Les Paul in 1994 despite it's "Vintage Sunburst" (kind of like a Tobacco Sunburst)
finish because it felt so good. I've learned to love the guitar as it is because it's feel and tone bring me joy!

About getting the guitar or not: Get it!
We only live once and after I got my first Les Paul, it was so clear to me that I should have bought a
worthy guitar way sooner in life.
:thumb:

Latest Threads