Talk me into buying a LP Standard instead of a Tribute

Blues scale

Reaction score
Hey guys. I’m new here, but hoping you can help me out.

I’ve spent the past few weeks trying out these guitars:
LP Tribute (Satin finish), £1,100​
LP Standard 60s Faded (also Satin), £1,800​
LP Standard (glossy, iced tea), £2,000​

My dilemma arguably relates more to my mental insecurities than the guitars themselves!

I’ve always dreamed of owning a Gibson LP. If I were a better guitarist, I would have already bought one (or even several) long ago, but I’m a mediocre casual player, so I’m trying to limit my self indulgence to a once in a lifetime purchase.

Put simply, having tried these 3 guitars, I prefer playing the Tribute. I’m not sure if it’s just the way the individual guitar was set up, but it has incredibly low action, and I love how smooth the satin neck feels.

There are only two drawbacks:
1) The appearance, It’s a bit dull, and it looks different enough to a standard LP to make me feel like I wouldn’t be buying a ‘real’ Gibson Les Paul.​
2) Similarly, I read countless online comments that a Standard is the minimum I should aim for.​

I thought I’d solved the problem when I found the 60s Standard Faded. It has a satin neck like the Tribute, and it looks absolutely stunning IRL. However, I’ve just demoed one, and it was my least favourite of the 3 to play.

Another argument in favour of the Standards is that their prices will obviously rise over the years, so I feel like I could really regret not buying one now while I can comfortably afford it.

Deep down, I know I should be buying the one I prefer to play. But let’s be honest, that’s not the only reason people buy Gibson LPs, and I’m no different!

If anyone can talk some sense into me, it would be much appreciated.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
OK, now that we’ve dispensed with THAT nonsense, get a Les Paul Standard.
It’s honestly an heirloom piece.

It already bothers you, the idea that going cheap will linger.
Your instincts are correct.

Nick-O

Reaction score
Ultimately, purchase the guitar that encourages you to play.

It will bring you the needed confidence.

I like the faded usually, but again, it has to be whatever makes you want to play and play often.

.02¢

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy what u want…and can afford

i Want an es-355 or 137 custom…I started saving over a year ago…
I likely won’t have enough for another 2 years…

in short, get what u want and if u can’t afford it, save until u can…there’s always cool guitars afoot

-chris

Blues scale

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far.

I’ve updated the thread title to try and get a few more bites.

Some contradicting POVs, so not sure what to conclude yet. :laugh2:

BDW60

Reaction score
If owning a Les Paul is a once in a lifetime scenario, don’t get a Tribute. They’re very nice guitars but not the stuff of LP dreams.

Get yourself, at minimum, a Standard. Better yet, keep saving, be patient and buy a used historic.

Your playing level doesn’t matter in the least. You don’t have to pass a test to qualify … :)

hotshot

Reaction score
If you buy the Standard, you won't be sorry. They call them a standard for a reason. I'm just a "hack" but I pick it up everyday for a hour or so. After i'm all done I look at it and say "Wow, this sounds great and it's "lookin' good" .
IMG_20210812_193125673-3024x4032.jpg

Leee

Reaction score
Your playing level doesn’t matter in the least. You don’t have to pass a test to qualify …
BINGO!
I have some nice gear and plenty of expensive shiny guitars, and I’ll be the first to say that I’m a two-string power-chord hack.

A nice Les Paul will be a pleasure to own, and worth money if you ever decide to sell it.
Or pass it down to your kids someday.

Satin finish, cheap-looking?
Eh… not so much.

efstop

rude and low IQ'd
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a Custom 45 years ago, but not even a Classic or Standard since then. I was tempted by a Traditional with a slim taper neck for a good price but didn't want to spend the money.
For all the time I spend playing guitar, a heavily modded '50s Tribute and an LP Melody Maker are enough Les Pauls for now :)

Leee

Reaction score
I had a Custom 45 years ago, but not even a Classic or Standard since then.
Yeah… but you’ve “been there/done that” so you know what you’re missing.

These guys, just getting into Gibsons, their learning curve is pretty steep with all of the options on the market now.

I remember how bewildering it was for me in the early 90s.

efstop

rude and low IQ'd
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah… but you’ve “been there/done that” so you know what you’re missing.

These guys, just getting into Gibsons, their learning curve is pretty steep with all of the options on the market now.

I remember how bewildering it was for me in the early 90s.
I still kick myself over the Traditional. Translucent Cherry, NOS with case and all the candy. I think it was $2200 CAD a couple of years ago.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
A Classic is equal to a Standard. A used R7 will be double amazing for nearly Standard price. The Standard is good too though. Don't settle for a lower tier if you don't have to. Buy once.... cry once. Climbing the guitar ladder sucks unless you just like to flip stuff.

I get a lot of satisfaction out of my carefully chosen Classic and keeping it for 20+ years now. Instead of some new dog in the fight, it's an old warhorse.

Pay attention to how the neck feels in your hand, it's the most important thing to shop.

Lots of guys here can tell you how to set one up so well that you won't be able to believe it. You shouldn't worry too much about the setup in the store.

Resonance and neck stiffness do matter, pay attention to those aspects.

Leee

Reaction score
@Thundermtn my Classic is a 2000.
I know exactly what you mean.

I sold my first two Les Paul Standards because I couldn’t get along with the necks.
Of course, I was coming from the world of Fender…

Mr French

Reaction score
Buy a guitar that plays, feels and sounds great to you.

You'd be surprised how many folks buy Japanese Les Pauls over a Gibson.

Latest Threads