Tailpiece

TheMiko76

Reaction score
So I finally set up my neck to my like. Leveled frets, and action is as low as I wanted with zero buzzing. Waiting on some new electronics to complete the project, but hardest part (at least for me) is done.

Just curious as to the tailpiece. What role does it play on a Les Paul? I looked up two of my favorite players and the tailpiece on their receptive guitars are very different. Slash has his high, about flush with the bridge. He uses 11 gauge strings & tunes down 1/2 step. Joe Bonamassa has his almost to the body. He uses 10 gauge strings.

I use Ernie Ball 10 gauge Super Slinky.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Really you can put them wherever you want as long as it's not higher than the bridge saddles lol. And make sure the strings clear the back of the bridge as they angle to the TP.

Some people feel they have more sustain when the TP is decked. And others prefer it raised to make the strings feel more slinky and to put less pressure on the bridge so it's not as likely to start sagging.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
As long as it's functional and doesn't cause buzzes or loss of sustain, it doesn't make a lot of difference.

When I tried top wrapping a stop bar tailpiece on the suggestion of a friend, it made no difference in terms of tone or sustain as compared to my usual setup. If anything, sustain may have reduced slightly.

Stop bar or string thru body, I do either type when I make a guitar and it doesn't seem to really matter.

Latest Threads