Tailpiece height- is it bad to be too high?

1981 LPC

Reaction score
How high is your action? It seems high - judging by the higth of the bridge pickup.

Can't imagine the neck was set at an incorrect angle though.

1981 LPC

Reaction score
Tailpiece height aside, is it just me, or is the bridge not resting on the thumbwheel? Maybe it’s just an optical illusion, but it sure looks like it’s sitting above the thumbwheel.
I think you're right.

OP - how much do you know about achieving a proper set-up?

bryvincent

Reaction score
Tailpiece height aside, is it just me, or is the bridge not resting on the thumbwheel? Maybe it’s just an optical illusion, but it sure looks like it’s sitting above the thumbwheel.
I think you're right.

OP - how much do you know about achieving a proper set-up?
a Nashville post/thumbwheel has a step on top where the bridge sits.

PierM

Reaction score
FYI all the Custom Shop with a Nashville are being set with TP bottom down and there is Zero problems. Yes you have lower strings touching the Nashville edge but that is not generating any issue.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. I may just try and return it as o don't like the feel or look if top-wrapping that much.
:shock:
Return it?? Why? There's nothing wrong with it, Unless you're thinking about getting one with an ABR bridge. This happens with just about all nashville bridges. If you love the guitar I can't see any reason to return it. Just my opinion.
+1 :thumb:
Nothing wrong with it. Personal preference. Might even make the strings a little more slinky under the fingers. That's why I did it, for easier bends and a bit lighter feel.

And just to pi$$ 'em off! LOL!!! :laugh2:

P.S. It's also a nice hand-rest for pickin' and not as pointy on the side of the hand as the saddles are! :thumb:

Last edited:

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
:shock:

+1 :thumb:
Nothing wrong with it. Personal preference. Might even make the strings a little more slinky under the fingers. That's why I did it, for easier bends and a bit lighter feel.

And just to pi$$ 'em off! LOL!!! :laugh2:

P.S. It's also a nice hand-rest for pickin' and not as pointy on the side of the hand as the saddles are! :thumb:

This. There is no right or wrong, peoples! Many Gibson Les Paul books over the years have explained that the scenario was as follows:
1. Produce an adjustable bridge
2. Anchor the strings away from the bridge (moving away from the combined wrap bridge/tailpiece)
3. Result was personal preference in the height of both bridge and tailpiece.

This is how my 1991 LP Custom is set up:

Arseholes have mocked this, but you know what arseholes are like... :applause: :dude:

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score
a Nashville post/thumbwheel has a step on top where the bridge sits.

Yes, you can clearly see it on mine too....

My best guess was to reduce surface area and resulting friction so the knobs were easier to turn..

gball

Reaction score
Doesn't look high relative to the bridge height to me. I will say I have never had a Les Paul that required the bridge to be as high as that one though, not sure if you are setting the action pretty high or if it is another factor. Anyway, if it sounds good and plays good it is good, no one way to do it.

judson

Reaction score
As long as the studs haven't actually unscrewed from the bushings in order to get to where they should be.....then there is no such thing as 'too high'.

Its a pretty common question actually. Many people look at bridge or t/p height from the body, and both being low qualifies as the key element of good setup - they couldn't be more misguided. Bridge height is whatever it needs to be to get the strings sitting low over the frets like you want them to be.
As you fret the neck not the body, it becomes somewhat irrelevant what height the bridge is set to. And of course the neck angle (a minor variable) as well as the fret size and fretboard thickness (also variables across the range) combine with the precise top shaping (yep - another minor variable) to determine final hardware height for setup.

This guitar has plenty enough room for topwrapping if you want to go down that path.
i also thought this tailpiece was too high at one time until i learned it had to be that position for proper setup, plus it had no bridge so there is no choice obviously..lol.

OP might top wrap and see if that eases his concern also...its fine, just play it!

IMG_20170111_130523556_HDR.jpg

RRfireblade

Reaction score
It's really just a preference thing. Generally when the bridge has to be high, the tail piece follows and personally I don't like the whole string bed that high off the body. Just a personal thing.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Decked is best! ;)

J/K...it’s all a matter of personal preference. I’m not a top wrapper... tried it... didn’t care for it. With using Faber Tone-Lock tailpiece studs, converting to ABR-1s (Faber, CreamTone, or Philadelphia Luthier), and flipping saddles around when necessary I’ve been able to deck all my LP tailpieces, get things intonated correctly and avoid having any string contact with the back of the bridge. It just takes time, patience... and money! :D

NewDayHappy

Reaction score
Mine is about
I was adjusting the bridge height on a new 2016 LP traditional that I bought and noticed that in order to avoid having the strings touch the back of the bridge I need to have the tailpiece set pretty high. I think it's combination of the bridge needing to be fairly high on this guitar, the wider nashville style bridge, and the fact that the saddle isn't set very far back when it's intonated properly. I wasn't planning on decking the bridge anyway but does the fact that it needs to be this high for string clearance indicate a problem with the guitar, or is this fairly normal for newer LPs with this type of bridge?
Mine is setup nearly the same as yours, mine is a 2017 Standard. I wasn't sure if mine was normal or not either but unplugged, from an acoustic standpoint it sounds beautiful. When I tried lowering or raising the bridge it sound dull and dead. My action is pretty low, probably 1.75mm at the 12th fret, that's my ideal height on all my Gibson's. Couldn't possibly lower the action anymore because it would become unplayable.

moreles

Reaction score
I didn't like top wrapping either until I did it and was surprised by the result. But definitely go for what you want -- you preference is better than mine... since it's your guitar!

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score
Arseholes have mocked this, but you know what arseholes are like... :applause: :dude:
Name names, name and shame... how very DARE they mock you... :cool2:
...and then again - perhaps not.
Don't want the bloody 'shire wars and one-drippie shit all over again:rofl:

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Name names, name and shame... how very DARE they mock you... :cool2:
...and then again - perhaps not.
Don't want the bloody 'shire wars and one-drippie shit all over again:rofl:
Oh I couldn't possibly name names! How could I call out someone who was perma-banned for being an utter nasty prick to people on here, and who came back under another guise? And who also verbally abused someone's wife at a certain gathering? No, Sir, no!

And another who claimed he had no interest in the intricacies of guitars, yet sourced the exact composition of the colour of the paint on a certain brand of guitar first built in the 1950s and then had it sprayed on his guitar. No, Sir, no!

:applause: :run: :rofl: :dude:

ashbass

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Lower your pups. Then lower the bridge. Then lower the tailpiece.

Latest Threads