Tailpiece for Explorer

Dimitree

Reaction score
I just finished building a Explorer replica (not the ‘58 Korina but the ‘76 mahogany) and I’m wondering if I should put an aluminium stop tailpiece or a zinc tailpiece. I guess the original ‘76 used a zinc tailpiece.
I understand that the aluminium tailpiece should give a more open/airy sound, and that could be good on a LP, but what about on the Explorer (that should already be more trebly than the LP) ?

Either way, I think I’m going to use locking studs from Faber. The pickups would be alnico PAF ‘57 style, not ceramic

strayedstrater

Reaction score
I have both aluminum and zamak tailpieces, so when I get a new guitar I always try whichever one it doesn't have.

I've found that on about half the guitars it makes little to no difference. On the rest it's about equally split -- some sound better with aluminum, others sound better with zinc.

Of the 3 Explorers I've had, 2 sounded pretty much the same with either. One sounded better with zinc. That's a statistically insignificant sample size, but I'd probably start with zinc.

OTOH, Gotoh's aluminum tailpieces are pretty inexpensive. I've noticed that when people start building guitars they typically keep building more, so it might not be a bad idea to get both and save the one that doesn't stay on the Explorer for the next build.

Dimitree

Reaction score
thank you!
I have a tailpiece from an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, do you think I could use that one as a test? for sure it's not aluminium, do you think it's zinc or maybe some other cheap material?

workerunit

Reaction score
I believe the tail piece mount spacing is different from Epiphone to Gibson. So a Epiphone tailpiece will not just bolt on without major surgery to your Gibson.

Latest Threads