Tactical....Kilt?

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
So I have a HS friend who has spent most of his life in uniform, and is now an intelligence analyst for Blackwater (or whatever the name is now); I sent him the link for yucks - he replied that he has a friend who has one, wears it, and carries extra mags in the pouches.
Now I'm afraid............

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's another scene in Braveheart where the the wearing of kilts is decidedly tactical when facing the offensive line of the enemy.

-Decorum prevents showing it here.

I refrained from posting it, was thinking of it istead of the one I posted. It did take me about 10 mins to make up my mind :laugh2:

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the scots were not wearing kilts back then.

Exactly. Whay I said above that it was technically wrong.

Braveheart is meant to be in the 13th century and kilts did not become a popular until well into the 17th century. Not bad "just" being 400 years off.

Fardwark

Horrible Porridge Gobbler
Reaction score

Braveheart is meant to be in the 13th century and kilts did not become a popular until well into the 17th century. Not bad "just" being 400 years off.

The great Kilt became popular in the 16th century, the 4 yards of tartan jobbie that wraps over yer shoulder...A real kilt. Never worn one of them gentrified English versions which is the bottom half of the great Kilt with the furry badger handbag dangling between yer legs...Yuk. We have a saying here in Scotland. See a man in Glasgow or Edinburgh wearing a kilt then you just saw an Englishman going to a wedding. :laugh2:

Oh by the way, as any Scotsman will tell you...That tartan cloth is thick heavy duty coarse material that will rub the skin right off yer pride and joy in nae time at aw. Be warned if yi go commando in one.

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh by the way, as any Scotsman will tell you...That tartan cloth is thick heavy duty coarse material that will rub the skin right off yer pride and joy in nae time at aw. Be warned if yi go commando in one.

Oh I know, I have done so :laugh2:
Luckily the Irish cloths are slightly more gentle :naughty:

parts

Reaction score
I wear Yoga pants//

Cause there's nothing as obvious as a hard on in yoga pants..

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
You may be interested to know that kilts aren't all about the look.
They have to made the right way, using the right material.
Kilts don't flap about in the wind.
The 'skirt' type of kilt was not a Scottish invention.
Nor was it an English invention.
But it was introduced by an Englishman in Scotland.
A full kilt is an all-body affair.

Though English, I find the garment very interesting (not THAT way).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_kilt

MenaceMartin

Reaction score
For a split second there I thought the thread title said Tilted Kilt.

I has a disappoint.

FWIW, I have only worn a kilt once, which was at my brothers wedding... and I found it rather claustrophobic. I couldn't imagine doing anything remotely "Tactical" wearing one!

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

I liked Braveheart a lot. Thought the movie was very well done, though there were a whole bunch of historical inaccuracies in it. Some of the more amusing errors in that flick had to do with the French princess, Isabella...

In the film, she was this lovelorn sweetheart who swooned at the romantic deeds of William Wallace and was thus sympathetic to him and his cause. But in reality, she was only three or four years old when Wallace was executed.

Then there was the bit where she informed King Edward I that she had gotten herself knocked up by William Wallace, whose kid would then one day be the King of England. In the movie, Longshanks died of apoplexy when she whispered the news to him...

But actually, Edward the First died about a year before Isabella ever married his "gentle son", Edward II. And while we're at it, while Edward II probably was gay, he wasn't the birdy little fella shown in the flick. Instead, he was a very large and muscular individual.

Back to Isabella: she also wasn't exactly the delicate little flower depicted in the movie. In reality, she was a vicious and conniving sort of individual, who successfully schemed with an English earl named Roger Mortimer to depose her husband from the throne. It took a lot of moves, but eventually she and her boyfriend, Mortimer, got the clergy and the barons behind them. She and Mortimer then had Edward II imprisoned. He died in prison, and the majority of historians seem to believe that actually Isabella had him murdered, though there's no way to be absolutely certain of that. What is certain, however, was that Isabella's political opponents had a curious way of ending up charged with sedition, tortured until they confessed, and then drawn and quartered.

One rumor that has persisted over the centuries has it that the method of Edward's death was to have a red-hot iron poker shoved up Edward II's ass, so that he'd die from shock at the burning of his intestines. This method supposedly resulted in a corpse that showed no traces of violence to any inspection of it likely to be made in those pre-autopsy days.

Isabella was nobody to be on the wrong side of, that's for sure. That was one nasty bitch, right there.

After the convenient death of Edward II by whatever means, his son Edward III was placed on the throne. But really, it was Mortimer and Isabella who seemed to be calling the shots, until their spendthrift ways and generalized misrule drew the ire of everybody else. At that point, Edward III had Mortimer arrested and charged with 14 counts of treason. Interestingly, one of the charges Eddie-boy hit Morty with was the murder of Edward II. Charged but never tried for these crimes, Mortimer was taken to some public place and hanged. And they left him dangling for a couple of days, in full view of all.

Edward III somehow managed to overlook his mother's rather obvious machinations, though. In fact, he seems to have protected her, even though he ignored her famous plea, ""Fair son, have pity on the gentle Mortimer". Like I said, Morty ended up as crow bait.

But Eddie the Third didn't bother to punish his naughty mother, and instead awarded her a hefty pension while stripping her of her temporal powers. She was never seen making any kind of decision on behalf of the crown ever again, but instead turned into a sort of social butterfly who made the scene at all the royal shindigs. She was quite popular among her fellow blue bloods, it is written.

She lived to be about 62 or 63. Weirdly enough, they dug up her ex-hubby, Edward II, took his heart and put it in a little coffin, and then stuck that in Isabella's coffin with her. And that was by her request! :hmm:

I would suppose that this was done to squelch the nasty rumors about how Edward died, and to get people to forget the enormous scandal that took place when she ran off to France with Roger Mortimer. Not that anybody ever forgot anything... :D

Pretensions: they're usually as amusing as they are annoying.

--R

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Just took a quick look around the linked site in the OP; only $269 for a pair of pants for microphallic wanna-bes to play soldier in. I'm in the wrong racket.......

Frogfur

Reaction score
There were a few hot August days where the AC broke down in my Frederick, MD shop. I'd have rocked a kilt with a belt loop for a drill in a heartbeat.

Just think, some of you are likely running pickups that I built on those days sweating in my undies. Brings a shiver to your soul, eh? Fortunately, I didn't film any shop videos those days!

Stop taking your medication for three days. Then resume your normal dosage.