T-Top vs. T-Type

guitaroholic

Reaction score
I love the Sticker T-Tops in my '73 Custom... but haven't played the new 'Calibrated T-Type' yet.

Anyone have experience with both and able to compare?

They're mostly in the new 335s I've noticed. Probably elsewhere too, but I'm shopping 335s currently.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
If Gibson actually got it right, it would mean all new parts, short of the baseplate, braided shield and maple spacer. I doubt they did that. If so, it would be the first time they every copied an early pickup with anything more than a slight change away from the present model and a new sticker with marketing.

Original patent decal T-Tops are still very attainable. If you know how to buy the right ones, the first patent stamp baseplate T-Tops are generally the same (not the later ones).

guitaroholic

Reaction score
IMO, if you want T-Top tone, you want to go with a clone.

I've seen the Wolfetone replica, sold out though. What others are out there?
I'm not married to T-Tops, but still curious.
My favorite is still my Duncan SkinnerBurst. So much so that I grabbed a set of MJ's Magic for whatever ax needs some next :dude:

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I have a pair of T-top clones from Vineham pickups (a Canadian winder).
I love these pups. Gives me the cleans I need and dishes out when you want to go hard rock.

Check him out if you are having trouble finding what you want.
And take advantage of the US to CDN dollar conversion.

Spend a buck on long distance and give him a call. To be honest. I didn't know what I wanted when I called him. He listened to me and recommended the T-tops.

he's at vineham.com

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I've seen the Wolfetone replica, sold out though. What others are out there?
I'm not married to T-Tops, but still curious.
My favorite is still my Duncan SkinnerBurst. So much so that I grabbed a set of MJ's Magic for whatever ax needs some next :dude:
I am married to them. I unknowingly had a pair of T-Tops installed in my first guitar, an '80's MIJ LP knock-off. It was gifted to me, so I don't know who swapped them in. I've been told that back then, some new Gibson owners sniffed at T-Tops, favouring Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio. Shoppes ended up having T-Tops kicking around and would install them in MIJ guitars to make them more desirable. Who knows.

Anyway, all I knew for a long time was T-Tops. In a period of personal dumbass, I got bored and took the bridge T-Top out and put it in another guitar that I ended up selling. Tried a lot of different pickups; 57 Classics (no balls), SD JB (yup, ice-pick), Dirty Fingers (gloriously high output, but I could not work with the clean tone), etc. blah, blah. blah.

Finally ordered a Vineham 6070. Craig bills it as a 'hot T-Top' and it could not be more accurate. It is balanced so well with the old T-Top neck and I could not be more pleased. I reckon he knows his art when it comes to winding the true clone, his '6070 Classic'.

He ships from his shop in Newfoundland; as far as I know, goods are flowing well across the border. USD go a long way with Canadian prices.

Latest Threads