T top, Me likey, very muchy

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
so after what was an eternity, Ebays global shipping smurfs eventually delivered my T-top a measured 7.8dc resistance. omg it sounds like nothing i anticipated, rings clear and chimy like a p90, there is some stuff going on in the hi freqs, i don't quite know what it is, but oh boy it sounds awesome. distortion is again different to anything i have installed so far, i am truly shell shocked and how good it works with the R9. The low wind concept i had installed previous is dead, done. that being said the newly installed A3 unpotted custombucker in the neck is a glorious conterpoint for the bridge wheb the middle position is engaged. i guess some will be thinking 'we already know ' at my discovery. it has made me throw out everything i thought i knew about what humbuckers are. anyways heres a pic:
310490A9-F40E-4BC7-B8B8-A8F7EF504306.jpeg

Last edited:

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
IMHO I think the T-Tops are some of the best pickups Gibson ever made post PAF era.

I have had a couple of the originals from 79 and 80 and they both sounded great. DCR was around 7.7K

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mines a ‘79, and very close dcr to yours. It came with a cover, which had to come off lol. Very happy, especially for price I paid. Half what a tatty one goes for in Europe. This ones pretty much mint having been covered all these years.

akuster777

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice!

my recently discovered secret sauce: t-top neck, paf bridge (in my case ECP replicas). so, so sweet.

I figure if Page's neck pickup broke instead of his bridge, we would all have our t-tops there, where they should be.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine looks to be a neck pickup from the orientation of the t’s. Plus the long wire. After one go with them I see what you mean, they are very well balanced with superb clarity which I can see being great in the neck position. Next string change I’ll swap over and try for myself.

ARandall

Reaction score
Orientation of the T's means less than nothing. They can be any combination for either pickup.

If you ever find a pre 74-ish T-top (one that doesn't take a loan to buy!!) then you'll find another tone again......a bit less narrow in tone, a bit more nuanced. The magnet supplier was switched out at the same time the baseplate went from sticker PAT# to stamped on the baseplate. And they have a different sound based on that.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking for one, I had found a ‘72 and agreed price with seller, but seller changed mind, (or sold for more to someone else).

ARandall

Reaction score
72 is an iconic year due to the embossed cover. They're getting very pricey now - I'm glad I got my matching set back when they were only marginally stupidly expensive.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw one for sale recently with the cover on, the one I had bought was bare, although seller reneged on deal anyway. cannot remember how much the one with the cover on was though.

goldtop0

Reaction score
I've had 2 pairs plus one single '60s T-Top(s) and all were excellent pups they were in the 7.4 to 7.85 range.
Good to hear about the unpotted CBs too..........I really like the potted ones I've got in my gats.

Last edited:

CheopisIV

Copper Slinger
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I love me some T-Tops. Had a pair of '65s that blew my socks off but I sold them for some reason... Had some 67's that were still different but more like the newer than the old. Many sets through the 70's up to a few sets from 1980 which also sounded fine but none were as nice as those 65's.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ts in my old Custom were perfect to me. To me they were just a touch hotter than PAFs but still keeping the spanky...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ed K did a short video one afternoon of him just noodling on some late 50's early 60's conversion burst... Not sure which.

Finest sounding pickups I have ever heard in a Lester... Don't think it was even his as I have tried a bunch to find that vid. Can't remember where I saw it.

I would pay big time for pickups with those colors... He was noodling through a tube amp not overdriven...clean... Real clean, not the half-ass rock clean... Clean with warm tubes.

Brilliant, crystalline, spanky, bell like, brass, vibes (mallet instrument), etc., and think walking across a hand hewn oiled heavy wood floor in a mansion built in the 1700s while considering my description. The most live Lester I've ever heard across the spectrum. Freak Lester...

AcVox

Reaction score
I bought a couple of T Tops going on 10 yrs ago now purely out of curiosity.
So glad I did.
One is late 60s the other is 73, and measure 7.4k and 7.7k respectively.

When you think of the rock musicians with these Buckers in their guitars it makes your head spin. Angus Young, Alex Lifeson, Jimmy Page, Robbie Krieger (the Doors), guy in the Eagles with the double neck SG... Someone take over from me please? There's many more..

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
the sound is very i want to say clean, but not in the amp distortion sense of the word, they have a good tonal balance, maybe clear is a better word. not tried mine in the neck yet, but its on the todo list.

Last edited:

AJK1

Reaction score
72 is an iconic year due to the embossed cover. They're getting very pricey now - I'm glad I got my matching set back when they were only marginally stupidly expensive.
I owned one, it’s the guitar in my Avatar, it had the embossed covers, I gigged with it for 10 years then stupidly sold it

Last edited:

AcVox

Reaction score
I love me some T-Tops. Had a pair of '65s that blew my socks off but I sold them for some reason... Had some 67's that were still different but more like the newer than the old. Many sets through the 70's up to a few sets from 1980 which also sounded fine but none were as nice as those 65's.
I have two sets of gold covered T Top 'Buckers. I know that one set comes from a 73 LP Custom. It has an early stamped pat# on the baseplate. It measures 7.7 K ohms.

The other set I'm not sure but at a guess late 60s. It looks identical to a PAF in every way other than the pat # sticker.
This includes the L shaped marks on the 'feet', Phillips brass screws and a dc reading at 7.4 K ohms.
Is this a common feature of late 60s T Tops ? All opinions are welcome and encouraged..

ARandall

Reaction score
I owned one, it’s the guitar in my Avatar, it had the embossed covers, I giggled with it for 10 years then stupidly sold it
Especially given the insane prices they go for now.

But also those early 70's T-tops seem to be a bit more 3D compared to the later 70's ones.

DADGAD

Reaction score
One of the most fun combos was identical to the OP. A3 Custombuckers (Page) and a late 70’s T top. Amazing middle position and the T top was great when overdriven. A3 CB’s in the neck are great.

Latest Threads