T-shirt logo and nitro finish?

HJR

Reaction score
Hi all, notice today that the logo on a t-shirt I was wearing while playing had left some residue on the back of my R8. Never noticed that before. While it didn’t brush off by hand (felt kind of sticky), it did come off easily with a damp soft rag. Admittedly, it was a cheap t-shirt but then again aren’t most. It has been hot here the last few weeks, maybe that had something to do with it. Don’t want to test out other guitars or shirts (though I may at some point) so I thought I’d ask the MLP community. Has anyone else noticed something like that before?

caloyburger

Reaction score
Yes happens on not and humid days. A part of my "Bangkok" shirt made an impression at the back of my nitro finish American Orginal 50's strat. I was able to take most off but you can still see a ghost mark at the back. I was bummed for a week. That happened the day after I bought it.

Qam

Reaction score
I had left a condom on a lacquered Strat horn that I put on it for laffs, but a month later taking it off noticed a yellowish haze remained.

Tom Holmes told me once lacquer is always swimming around in a semi-frozen liquid state and we just think its solid, but is constantly on the move drawing off gasses from other things mostly rubberish, but offgassing plenty on its own.

And I was such a nitro admirer once. After many many guitars I still appreciate what I got but no longer specify lacquer on a custom order

Brek

Reaction score
Yeah this happened to me, was playing and it was hot, when I went to put guitar away there was the mark that looked like lacquer had melted, freaked right out. Thankfully it has not left a mark when buffed off.

Qam

Reaction score
But thats also the beauty of lacquer finish systems: touchup is easy, coatings dry to the touch in 10 minutes, serviceable in 30, and buffable in one week

HJR

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the replies everyone. Who would have guess. You learn something new everyday.

Brek

Reaction score
you'd think, i did it again today, same teeshirt. bsa motorbike one, its going in the bin.

HJR

Reaction score
you'd think, i did it again today, same teeshirt. bsa motorbike one, its going in the bin.
Hope it didn’t leave a permanent mark.

Brek

Reaction score
got away with it again, t-shirts it’s been chucked now, the mrs was like you could just not wear it when playing, yeah I could do that, except I already done it twice and will probably do again.

Neffco

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time putting any honest wear on any of my guitars. I don’t wear a Superman shirt though. I did whack a pool lamp a few gigs back.

HJR

Reaction score
I have a hard time putting any honest wear on any of my guitars. I don’t wear a Superman shirt though. I did whack a pool lamp a few gigs back.
Luckily, in my case it wasn’t wear it was just the white residue from the logo appear on the back. It just wiped off with a damp towel, no ghosting like the others described. Phewwww!

Latest Threads